Training me and ShotGun how to drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
After reading so many posts on minis being trained to drive and all the handsome minis on the show circuit, I think I would like to try my hand at it.

All depends on how expensive the tack is and how hard it will be on my old gimped up body?

I figured if I use the bridle he has, it has a 3 1/2 driving snaffle I believe and using longer reins, I could wrap a girth strap around him and guide the reins through small loops to start with.

Then with a cart whip start him going forward, even if he only goes a step or two at first. Working on "whoa, to stop", "walk on, to walk", and drive forward to well "drive forward" heheh.

Where should I start, how should I start and how should I handle the reins?

There is no one around me to help train me. So will have to do this my self. I can read just about anything and comprehend it so am good at that heheh.

Any suggestions, advice, help, would get a big hug from me!!

[SIZE=12pt]What State are you in? I bet there is someone around your area that could help you get started. Do you ride? Or have prior horse related experience? Is your guy nice and calm? There are training videos out there that can help you get an idea what to do and how it's supposed to look. Ozark carries a DVD or two.[/SIZE]

There are local clubs all over with members who may be willing to give you a hand. Maybe even give you a lesson or two so you get a chance to actually drive a horse before trying to train one
default_smile.png
These little guys learn really fast and are usually pretty good natured but if you've never broken a horse to ride or to drive. It would be safer with hands on learning before trying it yourslf.

PLEASE don't take offense. I am not trying to be rude or condesending, just concerned for your safety and want you to experience and enjoy your mini to the fullest
default_yes.gif

Driving is a BLAST! (but believe me cart wrecks aren't
default_biggrin.png
Been there, done that, with 40 years of experience
default_yes.gif
)

Joy

No, I completely agree, Joy.

Think about this, if he were 15 hands, or even 12, would you seriously be even considering harness training him??

It is all completely fine til something that someone who has experience would never have done, happens, and then, believe me, it is almost impossible to get a horse back into harness when you have messed up, even an experienced driving horse!!!

I have said before and I will say again, most of what people do traditionally to "harness train" a horse I do not do, nor have I ever done, and I can assure you that walking behind your horse with long reins does not even scratch the surface.....sorry!!!

Which is why I have never done it.

I know what you are thinking, and I also know from your previous posts you are relatively inexperienced, but this is not a job for an amateur, however easy it may appear to be!!

Long reining him is unlikely to do him any harm, and he may even enjoy it, but it is not my idea of fun, nor that of my poor arthritic frame!

If you want to long rein him get yourself a pair of big horse draw reins or a good soft lunge rein cut in two, and go for it, by all means, but don't think this is harness training.

I have seen a few accidents happen and even with our tiny beasts they can be amazingly powerful when scared.

Teach him a rock solid "Whoa- stand".

Teach him to turn left and right- this will help when he is being ridden anyway.

Take him out in traffic and get him used to trash cans falling over, children and adults rushing towards him shrieking (happens a lot when you drive a very small horse!) and nasty barking dogs and even just over friendly dogs.

Then find yourself a really good trainer, one that you trust, and send him off to be done professionally.

I cringe when I read these threads. Cringe, cringe, CRINGE.

Ever hear the old expression "green horse + green rider = black and blue all over"?

Rabbit is right: if he were a full sized horse or pony, would you do this yourself? Woullllllld you?

Of course you wouldn't. (I'm assuming you have a lick of good sense)

There's your answer. Ship your horse for 90 days with a good trainer.

If you want to learn how to train horses to drive, the first thing you need is a trained driving horse to train YOU how it's SUPPOSED to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]What State are you in? I bet there is someone around your area that could help you get started. Do you ride? Or have prior horse related experience? Is your guy nice and calm? There are training videos out there that can help you get an idea what to do and how it's supposed to look. Ozark carries a DVD or two.[/SIZE]There are local clubs all over with members who may be willing to give you a hand. Maybe even give you a lesson or two so you get a chance to actually drive a horse before trying to train one
default_smile.png
These little guys learn really fast and are usually pretty good natured but if you've never broken a horse to ride or to drive. It would be safer with hands on learning before trying it yourslf.

PLEASE don't take offense. I am not trying to be rude or condesending, just concerned for your safety and want you to experience and enjoy your mini to the fullest
default_yes.gif

Driving is a BLAST! (but believe me cart wrecks aren't
default_biggrin.png
Been there, done that, with 40 years of experience
default_yes.gif
)

Joy

Oh Joy, you wont offend me honey, I am old and have learned along time ago to take advice when I ask for it heheh.

Ok, ShotGun is very calm, he is also rideble, my grandson rides him with me or with out me leading him. The only thing is my grandson is 4 and has heavy hands. He keeps pulling back when trying to get shotgun to go forward. I am teaching him to handle the reins now.

I think shotgun would do great in driving, and I am also going to train him for therapy as well ~S~.

Im no northern Calif, way up north!

I will keep looking for someone to get me started.

Thank you so much for your advice!

If you're in NoCal, you've got some really good somewhat nearby options for getting him started, if you don't mind shipping him out for 60-90 days. Not like you'd have to ship him halfway across God's creation to get him in good hands!

Well that settles that hehehe. I do listen and will heed any and all advice because ShotGun means to much to me to have him hurt or scared of me being around him.

I can't afford a trainer so that is out. These are all just ideas that pop into my head hehhe. If it's not feasible I am not gonna do it.
default_laugh.png

He does get alot of exercise just by walking me around the track!

Thank you all for being so concerned , I sincerely do appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back