Trailer questions again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Well, i'm back with more questions about trailers. Who knew custom ordering a trailer would be so hard? Theres just too many decisions lol.

We have decided to go with a small trailer, 5x5x8, tandem axle, brakes. This is NOT a cargo trailer, it is being custom made by a company who makes big horse trailers. The trailer is aluminum, and with the size we are getting, can be towed by just about anything, as the trailer will be roughly 750lbs. In the future we might try to get a used conversion van, which could haul this, and we could sleep in at shows that are 2 days. The van would be able to tow this trailer easily. Talk about poor mans living quarters LOL.

Anyway, Im having a hard time deciding how I want to place my windows, and what height. They are sliders, and have the metal bars over them, as well as screens to help prevent things from blowing in the trailer in the horses eyes.

The trailer will be 5x5x8, and only a door on the back. It is a swinging door, not a ramp. Im not adding vents to the roof, as in the future we are going to take the trailer back to the manufacturer to have a rack added to the top. and when they ad a rack, they put aluminum diamond plate over the roof. We wouldn't be able to have roof vents and have the rack.

The trailer comes with 4 windows that are 18x34. Normally they would place one on the front, back, and each side, but this trailer is normally 6' long.

I plan to have my horses loaded sideways with dividers. Im wondering if one 18x34 window is enough on the sides, or if I would be better to take the front and back window, and just have two windows on each side. Or do I need the window on the front and the back door?

I know ideally the best ventalation would be two windows on each side and one on the back and front, but thats going to add an extra $500 to a trailer thats about $2500 over what hubby wanted me to spend. If I dont actually need them, I wouldn't ad them right now, and the manufacturer has said they can add more options at a later time if I dont get everything I want now. I dont want to void the trailers warranty by putting extra windows in myself.

Also, how far down from the roof should the window be placed so the horses get the best ventilation. If it helps, my current horse is 35", and I like them between 34" and 36".

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you get the double windows on both sides, you can't ever have too much air flow in most cases.

On our Hart trailer the windows are 34" to the bottom of the window and works well for us if that helps any.

I would definitely get a front window, they provide a lot more airflow than any other type. Just make sure its one you can open partway instead of just "open" and "closed". That's the ONLY reason I don't like dressing rooms... no front window!

I have a small 5X5X8 miniature horse trailer. It, too, is a horse trailer designed for miniature horses, tandem axle, etc. I'm a big believer in plenty of ventilation! This trailer has two roof vents, two sliding windows on each side and one on the back. So, a total of 5 sliding windows. Two butterfly vents in the front. I don't know the height of your trailer, but if it's not tall, I would recommend roof vents. Surely the manufacturer can figure out how to make them work even with a roof rack?

BTW, love pulling this little trailer when I am hauling one or two or even 3 horses! Much easier than hooking up my big gooseneck!

I would put 2 windows on both sides and vents at the front. The round disk looking vents. I would put the windows off set each other though. That really helps with air flow. When you are looking into the trailer fron the back, the windows on the left should be closer to the front and the windows on the right should be closer to the back with the 2 windows in the middle of the trailer being in the same spot on opposite sides. Does that make sense??

I would go to the extra expense to put as many windows as you can. Also you can get two vents put up on top and that will really help. We have a 5x5x10 foot small trailer and we had the door in the back made where you can put a top piece about 8 inches on the upper part of the door to make it a solid door. When its off there is an 8 inch opening but not big enough for a horse to jump out or anything. that also helps too. We just take nuts and bolts to put it back on in cold weather. One thing to think about is the horses being in there when its really hot and your stopping to get gas, grab something to eat, etc. So extra windows would help if you can possibly ad some.

those trailers are so handy though and easy to pull, we love ours. I have removable dividers in there too that just lift out if I want to leave it an open stall. Then there is one divider gate too so a stall is in front as well. They are lighweight and that helps to make it easier on your fuel bill as well. So good luck and glad youre getting a new trailer! Aluminum is a plus too, it will be very nice Im sure.

............................... Im not adding vents to the roof, as in the future we are going to take the trailer back to the manufacturer to have a rack added to the top. and when they ad a rack, they put aluminum diamond plate over the roof. We wouldn't be able to have roof vents and have the rack.

You can have the rack and the vents. I don't have the pcitures of my trailer on the net but I ( or rather the manufacturer) added a roof rack over my vents. He just raised the rack (diamond plating floor) above the roof so the vent under it would still work. Actually it's really nice as now when it rains it's covered so I can still have it open and no one gets real wet. I realize that this doesn't help your decision but rather "adds" to it; sorry just had to let you know.

New question, would I be better to add 12 volt fans instead of extra windows? They are about $105 cheaper than a window, and I thought they might be beneficial if we were stuck in traffic, stopped at a rest stop, etc. because it would keep air moving through the trailer even when not moving.

Instead of "extra" windows, sure! I'd love to have fans. But definitely have "passive" windows as well. What if your vehicle dies out on the road, or you leave the lights on, or something?

Latest posts

Back