Tragedy in our town this week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
Tuesday I finally had my knee surgery - that was successful. One large tear was fixed - the wraps are off today and I can get out to the barn to at least say hello to my girls although I still won't pass a soundness check.

While sitting on the sofa on Tuesday night under many ice packs with my hubby, waiting for Andy to bring Ben home from work around 10PM, our cable went out while watching "Jeremiah Johnson" (Tim's favorite movie).

"I think someone hit a pole," I said after Tim had fussed with the cable box and its connectors. "There is not a storm outside to cause it to cut out."

Andy and Ben arrived shortly thereafter but we did not hear what had actually happened until the next day.

Tim's coworker's daughter was in a car following another car (a Trailblazer)- all the girls were going to celebrate their graduation (from Fairport High, in Fairport, NY) last week at one of the girls' parents' lake cottage.

The Trailblazer passed a van legally and then they don't know what happened...the authorities thought the driver tried to overcorrect the turn back into her lane and then the Trailblazer hit an oncoming tractor trailer truck head on and burst into flames. The driver in the truck tried to help and Ben told me he was at a bonfire last night and a friend of his (Jesse) was following the tractor trailer truck and he jumped out to try to help.

Five girls were trapped in the Trailblazer and Jesse was trying to tell them it would be OK... but it was too hot for him to get any closer and according to Jesse they were still alive inside the car....the flames went 50 feet into the air and melted all the wires on the telephone poles...when Ben told me this aspect of the story this morning, it made it more awful.

My heart breaks for these parents (and anyone who has lost a loved one) and for those who witnessed this horrible tragedy - Tim's coworker went to the scene as soon as he heard from his daughter (she was not hurt) and some of the mothers of the girls who died had also gone to the scene and the co-worker had to drive them back home. Ben knew one of the girls from cheerleading.

This is the second accident in town. Last week, kids were driving on our road and a dog or other animal jumped out into the road and the driver hit the brakes, ejecting a passenger out of the car (no seat belt....). Andy and Ben saw the scene right after it happened and thought a classmate had hit a kid as he was right behind the car that ejected its passenger. That kid told Andy what had happened. Andy thought it was initially a kid who lived in a nearby house but ironically, it was a Fairport High student as well.

Tim was on the porch and heard a squeal of brakes and a thud. I had just come in and he said there's been an accident - let's get into the truck and see what happened. Andy had gone to pick up Ben at work and we were both relieved when they met us at the foot of the driveway and told us what happened - Tim hears anything and he immediately thinks it is our boys....luckily for the hurt boy here, he was treated and released.

Hug those close to you often and as long as you can, for life is so fragile and fleeting. What is here today can be gone in an instant....

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

What a horrible, horrible, tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Everytime you get in a vehicle, you are boarding a 3 to 4 thousand pound killing machine......people just don't realize that your children are never safe on the road, or anywhere, no one is. You have to live every minute of ever day to the fullest and don't bother with stupid petty stuff.

Those parents and families are destroyed forever. Nothing will ever help them. My heart would break for them if there was anything left of it to break. They have a long, sad, journey ahead now. So unfair.

It's so much worse knowing that the children suffered horribly before they died, such as Michael did.

Maybe I could have accepted it better if he was killed instantly with no suffering. Where the heck was God and the guardian angels? That's what those parents will want to know now like I do.

What a horrible, horrible, tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Everytime you get in a vehicle, you are boarding a 3 to 4 thousand pound killing machine......people just don't realize that your children are never safe on the road, or anywhere, no one is. You have to live every minute of ever day to the fullest and don't bother with stupid petty stuff.

Those parents and families are destroyed forever. Nothing will ever help them. My heart would break for them if there was anything left of it to break. They have a long, sad, journey ahead now. So unfair.

It's so much worse knowing that the children suffered horribly before they died, such as Michael did.

Maybe I could have accepted it better if he was killed instantly with no suffering. Where the heck was God and the guardian angels? That's what those parents will want to know now like I do.
Marty, I so agree with you. When Ben told me Jesse's story, I started to cry because I could "see" that image for real. And I gave Ben a big long hug, even though he told me I was being silly.

We also lost one of our students in 2005 (another stupid car accident - allegedly impaired driver, student was a passenger) at the high school I work at and her son, who died, was her only child. He turned his life around in his junior year and was very artistic so scholarships honoring him have been established in his name. We planted a maple tree for him at our school and had a really nice ceremony with his mom and his grandparents and his classmates.

I just wish these ceremonies never had to happen. Some time before this student died, he had asked his mom the following question, which she shared with us at the tree planting: "A married woman who loses a husband is a widow. A married man who loses a wife is a widower. A child who loses his or her parents is an orphan. But Mom, what do they call a parent who has lost a child?"

default_bye-sad.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

You're so right, Marty. It IS a tragedy. And it's the suffering part that the family never gets over.

My heart is going out to those poor families........

MA

What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all of those families, and for those who have new children drivers. Dave and I don't have children, and I cannot even imagine how it feels to lose one, or the feeling you get when they go out on their own where you cannot always protect them.

That is so horrible. As Marty said, their lives are changed forever for the worse.

My dad dreads this time of year with the carloads of teens that tend to be killed or wounded badly for life. It seems that kids just don't have (yet) the good sense to stay out of these situations and the more that are in the car, the higher the likelihood that they are going to make some dire mistake, be it from being distracted, dared, or just plain drunk.

I'm so sorry for their families and so sorry for the manner in which they died. That is so sad and they did not deserve that suffering.

Liz M.

But Mom, what do they call a parent who has lost a child?"

Dead too

I just saw that very tragic story on headline news. My thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends.

There was an accident in the DC area not long ago that involved 5 girls. Some of them had just graduated as well. The driver it seems tried at the last minute to take an exit and pulled in the path of a semi. I had heard on the news that 4 of the 5 had been killed.

I feel so bad for the parents, and also for the bystanders that wanted to help, but couldn't, I think that would leave you with a terrible burden knowing you watched as they died and couldn't help as much as you wanted too. I think that would have to be one of the most awful ways to go. I agree with Marty, if a life had to be taken, if it was instant it would be a tiny bit easier to deal with, but when you know any kind of suffering was involved, it just eats you alive, no one wants a loved one to suffer, for any reason.

So sad.............Prayers to the families.
default_sad.png

"A married woman who loses a husband is a widow. A married man who loses a wife is a widower. A child who loses his or her parents is an orphan. But Mom, what do they call a parent who has lost a child?"

OMG how profound is that? never even thought that there isn't a "word" for it... (((((hugs}}}}} Marty!!!

my 18-year-old still calls me to let me know when she gets where she is going... now my 16-year-old is pending her license... sure is scary!!!

my heart goes out to those parents :no:

Latest posts

Back