tips on reducing belly fat needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
I tried to upload pics but having trouble. So to add info for now. She is 13 has had 1 foal and had trouble so it was passed down with her the recommendation of not breeder her, but as info. gets lost through time, I don't know the specifics. She is out of the Dell Terras line so I do know she is a bigger build animal to begin with. As for her diet, PLEASE help with that, I felt it was to little and I have talked to other breeders who say to keep her on very little, but she is working SO hard that it worries me, that will be gladly the first change I make, I give her about 1/4 pound 2x daily of Strategy and about 1/4 pound 2x daily of alfalfa cubes, and a handful of hay, I did the alfalfa myself as I was reading to limit carbs, but add protien. Her back is smooth, none of her spine sticking up, you can not feel any ribs, you feel all fat! She has been a pet for about 1 year now, as the reg. pics. look good, so I am assuming that it has only been in the last year that she became overwieght. Also she has been wormed. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try pics again.

I purchased a over weight mini 3 months ago, not a practical thing for a newbie however she sure has taught me a lot, more than my others, about nutrition and conditioning. She is 32" tall and when placed between the shaft of my mini cart they were up against her sides, the harness was very tight. So I gradually carted her, she was put on a strict diet, and had farrier work completed. She is now up to 1/2 hour of carting 5 days per week (that is not warm up and cool down times that's extra), and it is WORK, we go through our hay field, over several hills, one being very large. She progressed faster than I ever dreamed. She became more stable and confident in driving the more weight she lost, she is no longer flighty, but she also now fits the harness and cart. She trots for long distances (not even possiable at first, she would bolt if pushed into a trot) and is so happy, she can keep up with the other horses. She still has belly fat, her shoulders and legs are more refined now, but her belly is still present. I was wondering what else I could do? Would a sweat help tone that specific area? I plan on continuing carting her as much as possiable through the winter. She is on a dry lot, and gits very little Strategy and hay daily. How can I target that specific belly fat, if only I could have her do crunches
default_rolleyes.gif
but since that not ideal for her, how can she tone that area (Sad that even horses have problems toning bellies, I am in trouble if she can't do it!!!
default_wink.png

default_aktion033.gif
I am very proud of her and her accomplishments however if anyone could offer additional suggestions I would be greatfull!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be helpful if you could post pictures of your mare so we can see what you are looking at.

I get good results on getting the belly off by cantering. I've been told and its been proven to me by my exercise routine, Trotting builds the muscles and stamina and cantering will get the belly off. You could try adding some cantering, either in a round pen or free lunging in their paddock/turn out area.

Karen

Are you sure she's not in foal? If not, it can take a lot longer than 3 months to condition some horses. Keep it slow and steady and that belly will eventually tighten up.

Thanks for the replies,

No chance of her being in foal, she has spent the last year with goats as her only campion, and of course eating there food as well. Pics. do not show very good do to the winter hair. but can try to upload some tomorrow. I know that people have specific excerises for target areas, I was unsure if there was anything that could target her belly area.

Like has already been posted, cantering (or trotting) for exercise plus upping her overall protein in her diet should help.

How old is she? Has she ever had a foal? That may help in knowing which way to go with diet and conditioning.

It sounds as if you have made great progress with your little mare. Congratulations! Others have provided some excellent suggestions.

Here are a few questions that come to mind when I read your posting

What is the age of the mare? How long has she been overweight? How much overweight did she start out? Is she overweight now? Has she has ever foaled and if yes, how many foals, and when did she last foal? How much winter coat does she currently have? Also exactly how much grain and hay is she currently receiving now?

The responses to these questions can help others provide you with advice that is more targeted and also set realistic expectations as to what will be possible. Pictures are very helpful too.

Some thoughts, in particular with miniature horses - a thick growth of winter hair will add the appearance of 50 to 100lbs to the horse, along with what looks like a huge belly. Our show horses right now, look like obese little Yaks. And yet when you rub your fingers down into their thick coats, they are still in excellent condition and not fat at all. But they look fat

In reducing weight, it is important to do so slowly, otherwise, you can quickly pull all of the weight off of the spine and croup/hip area and end up with a larger belly. So take your hand and place it flat and rub from the withers all the way back to the hip - and note if you can feel the spine sticking up. Then rub along the sides - can you feel the ribs? If so, you have taken too much weight off too quickly. I mention this as it is rare to find a horse that was overweight overall to loose weight and then retain fat in just the belly area (you mentioned belly fat?) And thus a cycle begins - the belly appears large, feed is reduced, the belly becomes bigger - feed is reduced again, and the belly becomes even bigger. This cycle is very common in raising miniature foals, especially after weaning as they will tend to get a little more of a belly during this post weaning time period and in many parts of the country, cold weather is setting in and most foals grow long thick coats - I've seen many big fluffy puff ball foals over the years that when you use your hands to evaluate condition under the coats find bones sticking up everywhere with a big bloated stomach. Just something to keep in mind this time of year.

It is excellent that you are able to drive your horse for exercise as this is one of the very best ways to tone and firm up a flabby overweight horse. But driving requires an adequate level of nutrition depending on the frequency and duration of exercise.

Hope this is of help.

If you take photos after you drive or exercise her the hair will be laying down which is easier to get decent photos rather than when she is all fluffy and puffed out with winter hair.

I recently got a new gelding that looked like he was in decent weight except for his belly. He looked hugely bloated in the belly and looked like a very pregnant mare when he came. He was on a grass hay ration diet and kept in a dry lot before he came here. He actually needed some protein rather than less food to lose the belly. Once I started supplementing with some 30% triple crown his entire appearance improved, he gained some well needed neck, lost belly, and gained some decent weight over his topline. Now we are driving and conditioning and he is still improving in his body and appearance and health.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the way you have made so much progress with your little horse. She trusts you and must be one of those horses that just wants to please. Sounds like she has come a long way in a short time but don't rush this. The belly could be lots of things like ulcers, worms, dirt/sand so I would be treated each of that. The most important thing I would reconsider is that strict diet you have her on which would scare me with the amount of work you are asking of her. The diet has to go. She needs her food, not a diet. Especially with winter coming on, also to help avoid sore muscles and strained tendons and the like, I'd be feeding her up plenty good hay and a good amount of Strategy with a dose of probios here and there and in time the rest will come eventually. But it takes a long time and good solid strong nutritious food program with exercise to have a completely conditioned horse.
default_biggrin.png

I agree with Marty. I would never keep a horse short of hay, it is asking for colic. Especially at this time of year.

It is great that you are working her and having so much fun, but the reason she is settling down and behaving is not because she has lost weight, but because you are using her, and giving her a job to do. All horses like this and respond well.In fact, you are training her, every day, to behave and to give her best, which is brilliant. But you need to reward her for work well done, and good feed and plenty of hay is the best way to do this. A horse that is short of feed will quickly get sour as her energy levels start to drop, and that belly could just as easily be malnutrition (lack of protein) as fat.....

Latest posts

Back