TICKS..........yuk!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrooke Farm

Reaction score
Seems like we are having a banner year here in southern middle Tennessee for ticks. So far, none have been found attached to the horses and the dogs use Frontline Plus. But, what about us humans? Deet products are not an option as my husband is WAYY sensitive. It is so rude to find them crawling on yourself :no:

Anyone have any ideas as to how we can keep them from getting on us?

There here to. I dont normally get ticks and have not for years, but I have pulled 5 off my self already. And everytime we check the horses its nothign to get 20 or more.

Can your hubby use horse fly spray? some of that has tick repelent in it.

I don't know if it works for ticks but the Lemon Eucalyptis oil found in the camping section of walmart in a small spray bottle works well, contains no deet and stinks but works for other bugs, you might could look for it and see if it says it repels ticks I am out of it or I would let you know.

We are having a bumper crop of ticks here too. I have to go to walmart this weekend and I'll see what I can find.

Karen

Watch out pulling them off. My son got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last spring. He is an outdoor guy and was careless about washing his hands after handling ticks. He is a lot more careful now!

Ticks are thick around here. Dozens of them on the horses and more than I'd like on me. My farrier suggested using Sevin Dust. I made a powder puff with some in it (an old sock) and tap it down the horses legs, middle of the back, belly and mane it every day or so. Most of the ticks I find now are dead. I've also started powdering my pant legs and shoes when I'm going to be in the deep grass where I know they're hanging out. Could your hubby tolerate something just sprayed on his shoes? That would probably help some.

Latest posts

Back