Thrush remedies ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
Ive been cleaning Shotguns feet about once a week or so since I got him back in Nov 08. Ive never really had any problems with him giving me his feet, I do have to say "up" and tug a little bit but not bad. His back feet have always been the hardest to get up but now it has gotten to the point I almost have to force him, which I would really rather not do but I finally did today.

When I first started cleaning his feet they were a bit chalky to me, a little black around the deep crevasses of his frog. The frog has always been dry and slightly shrunken. They DO NOT stink other then the normal slight manure smell, so I just kept cleaning them well and that was it.

The darkness around the deep creases is not oozy at all, just a bit dirty looking.

After doing some of my normal reading, some of the articles started making me think so I went out yesterday to check him and I do think he has thrush and I felt horrible!!

So first thing this morning my daughter comes over to help me. I cleaned his feet very very well, brushed them out, washed them with warm soapy water and rinsed, then poured betadine over his entire hoof and frog. The frog is dry, cracked and I am pretty sure needs to be trimmed.

His back hooves and frog look smaller then the front ones. Is this normal? Like they are smaller in size and deeper if that makes sense?

He is due to be trimmed again and will be calling the farrier in the morning to be trimmed.

What I need to know is, how bad a "Mama" am I for not knowing he may have thrush and am I doing the correct thing to get rid of it if he does actually have it?

I don't know, not sure it sounds like your horse has bad thrush.

White chalky or crumbly foot is generally healthy foot... although the foot does grow and will slough off. If the hoof is very dry it tends to slough off in flakes, if it is moist it will just be chalky/crumbly when you run over it with your hoof pick.

Most horses will have a touch of "black" in those crevasses and commissures of the frog... this is kind of related to thrush but nothing to really worry and stress about. Thrush is considered "bad" when it starts to have an odor, gets oozy, or the blackness really prevails.

Moderate/mild thrush is easy to control and treat. Epsom salt soaks are great if the frog has deep crevasses that are hard for you to clean. You can soak the foot in Epsom salt (about a cup for a half gallon of hot water that is as hot as the horse will stand) for about 20-30 minutes.

Some people make a mix of water and bleach to carefully spray into the frog, this is pretty economical and works okay. I personally prefer ThrushBuster, it's my thrush treatment of choice. There are many thrush products out there to use.

Aggressive thrush treatment (such as when the thrush actually starts eating away at the frog) can include use of a dry-cow mastitis antibiotic, it comes in a tube with a sharp tip that is great to administer into little crevasses.

Again, from your description your horse probably just needs a trim and all that foot needs to be trimmed off or sloughed off. Get a bottle of Thrushbuster and apply once a week if you see "black stuff" but otherwise don't fret.

Good luck,

Andrea

We use Thrushbuster here at the barn as well on both the large horses and the minis it works great.

Well, he doesnt have thrush hehehe. I had the neighbor that does horse rescue come over and look at him. She said he just needs his trim and that I was being fretful.
default_wub.png

I knew it was time for his trim, I have it written down. I just love him so much don't want him to be in pain or ill health!!

Ive also been walking him on the road to help keep his feet dry and self trimmed. So I guess I kinda panicked!!

Am sorry!

Also, to keep his feet dry when it's wet outside, put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray them. This helps dry the area up and kills anything that's trying to grow inside there. Works for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that tip! I read that as well online and will be doing it!

I am so happy he doesnt have it. I try to keep him in perfect health and happiness!!

Yes he is a bit spoiled
default_wub.png

If you ever really have thrush you might want to have on hand this product...it works so well and quickly..

White Lightning My barefoot trimmer highly recommends it and always has it with her. We use the gel but also keep the liquid just in case during the yukky rainy weather.

Chalky sole is normal, chalky frog is the beginnings of thrush followed by black smelly tar looking stuff.

Even the best cared for horses can get thrush.

I've seen it so bad the entire frog was necrotic and the horse still did okay.

If you use White Lightening make sure you read the instructions. It has to be mixed with vinegar to be effective. (the liquid form, not the gel)

I second the peroxide.

The problem I have is when conditions are too dry--such as now with only 1 inch of rain since last October--that the frog is very hard for my trimmer to keep trimmed. Makes it hard to clean the hoof really well.

Mine had a trim this week and I stood them in a man-made mud hole for an hour before the trim. It helped.

Yes, thrush is sneaky and can attack the most spoiled horses.

Latest posts

Back