Threw My Hay Nets Away!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I made my own hay nets out of some sort of fishing net or something. It was made of some sort of soft material. It had 1 inch square holes. I decided to hang 2 of them to give the horses something to do in their "sacrifice" lot. It isn't really big enough for them to really get any good playing in. I figured the hay nets would keep them busy for a while. It was working great. They were hung under the awning and the horses stayed out of the rain for the most part, till today!!

Hubby looked out the window and Pippin was eating on one of the hay nets. All was good. We went out and rearranged cars and and when we were done I had to go back in the house for something. I happened to peak out and saw Pippin standing between the tree and the hay net. I thought that was kind of strange so I went out to check things. I thought he may have figured he couldn't move because the hay net on one side, tree on the other and a pole behind him. When I first went out he moved away from the pole. So I thought all was good. When I got closer I saw it. His leg was in the net. It was up to his knee. I really lucked out that he just stood there and waited for me to rescue him. Then when I did walk up, he didn't freak out either. Normally he will walk away when you try to walk up to him. So it was good that he trusted me enough to stand there and let me help him out.

I got the net off of his leg and then took both nets and the extra net material I had left ( to make more nets) away. I am done with hay nets. Well, at least done with hay nets that are big enough for a hoof to go into. Maybe a 1/2" hole one would be ok? I think I am going to just try to make my hay boxes instead. I want a box to hold maybe a flake of hay, then have a square mesh top so they can munch in a grazing manner.

I am kind of upset that this happened because it was really working good for a time killer! Luckily it didn't kill my horse though or hurt him. I really lucked that I was home and happened to look out at the time I did. It was probably about 20 minutes from the time my hubby looked out and the time I looked out.

OH, and I had the net hanging about head level to the horses. Maybe 2 ft off the ground. Not really high and not low, so I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you where there, I do not like hay nets for any use.
default_wub.png

Hay nets are dangerous that way--trouble is you hang them up at a safe height when they're full, but when empty (or partly empty) they start hanging down lower and then the horse can get a foot in them. You would do better to get those hay bags with the slow feeder mesh over the opening.

My horses get all the hay they want to eat so I don't have to mess with anything like that.

Hay nets can be really scary... if they are hung with something that will easily break away if weight is put on it it's okay but if they are tied securely they will trap a horse if a leg gets caught up in them.

Good thing you were there to rescue your little guy!

Andrea

Wow, Kim. Thanks for sharing. I've been waiting for the slow feeder nets to come in at my feed store but I'll rethink it now. That's scary!

You were so lucky that you were home when it happened. Mini's are much smarter than "big" horses and they usually sort themselves out but anyway he still could have been hurt. I never use the darn things. Mine get as much hay as they want put on the floor or in a big plastic bin if it is raining so that it doesn't get squashed in the mud.

Thanks for sharing
saludando.gif

Scary things, haynets! I never use them now. So glad your little fella is ok.
default_yes.gif

Anna

I only use hay nets when we're away, like at a show. I can hang them high enough to avoid them being able to get a foot in and I'm constantly with them at the same time, so if there is any problem, I can take care of it right away. The horses are also tied to the trailer at the same time so they can't maneuver quite as much.

The best thing we did was buy wrought iron hay holders. We have corner ones. We also just throw hay on the ground so they are "grazing" naturally. We're careful to lay it areas they don't use for the bathroom. This also allows us to spread things out to ensure everyone gets their fair share.

So happy you were there to keep a disaster from happening!!!
aktion033.gif

I have had similar experiences with the hay NETS but not with the slow feeders. Try a slow feeder such as the Busy Snacker. They are made a very different way so the holes do not stretch to allow little hooves to get caught. The holes are so small (1.5" across) that only a tiny amount of hay can be eaten at a time, which makes the hay last a long time. I hang one on the fence between Buckshot and his yearling son Rusty, and it keeps them happy and mostly out of trouble all day!

My breeder told me a long time ago... no hay nets with minis. I had used them for big horses, but I guess I had gotten lucky not having any problems. I had a local amish guy modify a goat feeder for me for my little horses. It has a trough underneath to catch the fines. The rack part is narrow enough on the verticle bars to slow them down some, but not so narrow as to catch a hoof. They can't stick their heads through. It slows them down quite a bit on their eating and I had the rack part made more verticle so they don't get the fines in their eyes. So far I am happy with it. I might change it a little if I had another but I have been very happy with my custom hay rack. It is heavy as heck too so it doesn't move at all, I put rubber mats around it too...

I can't stand haynets for that reason, glad your horses weren't injured. I feed hay on the ground in the mini stalls, they are matted & I keep most of the bedding swept back from the front.

Jan

You're learning.The more stuff they are exposed to the more chances of you getting them hurt. No hay nets, no hay racks, no hay nothing. Put the hay on the ground so they can graze in a natural grazing position.
default_yes.gif

We ONLY use hay BAGS and only at horse shows. All other times it's on the ground.

My Arab got a foot caught in a bag- wanna talk about SCARY? He freaked... not pretty. Fortunately I tie with a quick release and it fell off his foot.

I only use/used hay nets with big horses on a long haul. And they were up as high as they could go in the trailer, in the corner (in a cozy, standing-stall situation...can't rear etc). That's the only thing that a hay bag is meant for. Otherwise, it's hay on the ground (as per what Marty said) is the only way to feed IMHO
default_biggrin.png

Glad you found him! We have ONE hay BAG, and it's only used in the trailer.... don't use hay nets here, either. I saved a couple of leaky water tanks, and throw hay in there for my big horses, and we made a feeder for the minis last year, using wire close enough together that works as a "slow feeder", although we're still doing some modifications on it, so I've been feeding hay on the ground all winter.

I have, however, heard GREAT things about the busy snackers....for both big horses and minis....(they make sizes for both)...from friends who use them, and people here. So if you really want to use a hay bag, might check into those!

Angie

Let me just add about the Busy Snackers: We NORMALLY feed hay on mats (in the stalls, under the overhangs or even outdoors, after sweeping them off). IMO that is the best, most natural, and safest way to feed hay. But that hay won't last the minis all day - or if it did they would all be blimps! And we feed hay 4 times a day here. The Busy Snackers or other slow feeders with 1.5" openings will slow down the hay consumption so it just might last all day. So if you what you want is to give your horses something to do and help prevent ulcers (in addition to just feeding them) I highly recommend the slow feeders.

ETA a photo: Max & Rusty eating out of a Busy Snacker this past winter. Rusty could reach through the fence and eat just fine and they both have their heads in a good position for eating.

Slowfeeder.jpg

That is the reason I wanted the hay nets. To give the boys something to do besides bad things! LOL They don't have grass to graze on so I figured the hay nets would give them the grazing thing and also like other said, keep their stomachs going good ( not in those words, I'm not hip on all the fancy words yet! LOL).

I found some of the goat/sheep feeders that looked perfect as far as the bars spacing, but I didn't like the area that caught the fine stuff. It was to small for the horses heads to fit in easily. Yah, they could probably turn their heads but I didn't want it to be hard to do. That bar spacing is what I want for my feeder boxes I want to make. Bad thing about feeder boxes is winter time. I would need to make sure I could get them under cover. That was the nice thing about the nets. I could have 2 just a few feet away from each other. Guess if I make my boxes 2x2 I would be able to do the same thing. They don't have to be huge for minis! I would want the box to hold about a flake or 2, that is it.

That is going to be my spring project. Building slow feeder boxes.
biggrin.gif

I may order a couple of the Busy Snackers though. Just to get buy and have something different for the guys once in a while.

I have to say that I am also a busy snacker user and I love them. They are rigid , much like the nylon used for barn halters. I do not use hay nets, no matter how small the holes are, they stretch.

Latest posts

Back