Thought he was lame again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so happy to hear that he is doing better, and I am praying that he has a full recovery soon.

He is starting to move better, looks like his rear is probably 90% better; im not saying 100% because we still do not know what happened back there. I switched his front wrap to the leg that is still slightly swollen and giving him trouble and he seems to be walking better up front since I have done that. The chiropractor will be out there this Weds coming up so I am interested to see what happens from there.

So glad to read that he's improving - good luck on Wedesday!

I just had to come and see what was getting the attention in 5 pages. I'm really sorry to hear about Max but very happy indeed he is slowly coming back to you. Its just not his time to go yet. I've got a 33 year old appendix who's been retired for a good many years and he loves it but craves even more of my attention now. Good thing I'm a groom-a-holic because he's having a blast. We're also trying to pack the pounds on for winter but that's also a iffy thing because although I divide his feedings into three, I worry about foundering him too. I'm just wondering about that front leg...how about a good old fashioned poultice? I like antiphlogestine. I love the way those things to draw out the bad cooties. Best wishes to you guys.

Yeah it was an intense topic not to mention an intense week. I used a gel like polltice they have out on the market and now the area seems to have subsided heat wise but seems to be tender still a little bit.

I was able to get him to walk from the paddock to the barn so I could finally wash him up there instead of in the paddock. Took about 15 mins of encouragement when he decided to bulk half way there; just kept telling him that he had to start moving for me to help him. He was much happier after he got a nice full bath and I re-wrapped his one leg. I was able to get at least one hoof picked out; thats a plus considering he wouldnt pick up any when this all started. I couldnt get him to even attempt the other three.

When I put him back in his paddock he happily walked all around it nibbling on grass patches, went over to see his girls in the adjacent field then walked back over to his hay pile. So he is being active which is good.

I just had to come and see what was getting the attention in 5 pages. I'm really sorry to hear about Max but very happy indeed he is slowly coming back to you. Its just not his time to go yet. I've got a 33 year old appendix who's been retired for a good many years and he loves it but craves even more of my attention now. Good thing I'm a groom-a-holic because he's having a blast. We're also trying to pack the pounds on for winter but that's also a iffy thing because although I divide his feedings into three, I worry about foundering him too. I'm just wondering about that front leg...how about a good old fashioned poultice? I like antiphlogestine. I love the way those things to draw out the bad cooties. Best wishes to you guys.

Had the Chiropractor vet come out yesterday to look at max and she gave me two conclusions... he either is partially paralyzed which would suggest the way he is tracking and it is almost like he cannot feel the ground he is walking on or he has a fracture that is trying to heal. She was also very suprised of how well his flextion of his head and neck were compared to the symptoms that were presented. She said if he is partially paralyzed, what I see is as good as it will get and the test will be if he cant pick up his feet and somewhat balance himself without hurting himself or anyone around him. If he cant I will have to put him down in 4 weeks. But if its a fracture then it will take 6 weeks for it to heal and we are already 2 weeks in.

So in 4 weeks if he hasnt improved I will have no choice then to put him down especially if I cant get his feet done
default_sad.png
. She said since he improved quickly in just these 2 weeks she would give him the 4 more weeks to make a decision.

Will be praying hard for the next 4 weeks and sending healing thoughts - come on Max, you can do it!
default_yes.gif

He will need all the prayers he can get at this point so thank you all who responded and for those in advanced...

pictures of him on weds waiting for the chiro. to show up... He's probably gained a good 50 pounds or more, when he went through the episode 2 weeks ago every bone in his body, at least to me, was sticking out from his weight dropping. It was very scarey to see him like that. Thats all weight from an abundance of hay and then grain with beet pulp and corn oil.

1234978_10151828330137692_320914474_n_zpsd273bc7d.jpg

1231191_10151828330702692_2085255862_n_zps9a733a44.jpg

Went to the barn on saturday after noon to take care of the big guy and one of the owners told me when he came outside to feed him that morning he did a little bit of a jig trot to the top of the paddock, he said it wasnt pretty but he was at least trying. And when I lead him out of the paddock he wasnt so awkward up front, still crossing but not so unbalanced and also I was able to get 3 of his hooves up and at least 2 of them picked out with not to much trouble. I guess he must have heard the vets suggestion to put him down in 4 weeks. I tell you he is a strong horse and it seems that he doesnt want to go yet.

Aww bless him. He's a very handsome lad.
default_yes.gif

You can see in the pics how he's 'balancing' on those back legs, but there is nothing like a bite of good old Dr Green to make a chap feel better!

My prayers and healing thoughts will continue for him over the next four weeks.

Yeah he figured out how to balance himself like that to eat grass and hay after about a week. This past weekend when I was sitting in the grass outside the paddock watching him graze he was actually trying to not stand like that any more and looked like a "normal" horse grazing. I feel like he is getting more confidence but sometimes I have to remind him to slow down because he just gets over excited when he starts movnig well and then he starts to trip himself up and what not. He is pretty smart in figureing out there is something wrong and he needs to be extra careful in his movements and I think that is why he is showing alot of healing progress.

Aww bless him. He's a very handsome lad.
default_yes.gif

You can see in the pics how he's 'balancing' on those back legs, but there is nothing like a bite of good old Dr Green to make a chap feel better!

My prayers and healing thoughts will continue for him over the next four weeks.

I sure am praying and hoping, everything will be alright, with him. Hang in there. You are doing great.

Max seems to be doing extremely well over the last few days, I have started just doing banamine every other day to see what his tollerance is/see how much he really still needs. I went three days without it and he came up extremely stiff; my vet did say he may need to be kept on banamine just to keep him happy and moving around.

Now i seem to be fighting something that has been going on with his skin since all of this started. At first I thought it was rain rot so I have been treating him for that now im not sure what it is. His skin seems flakey and he is losing his hair. There are spots around his hip bones and elbows that have chunks of flakes that seem to be painful if i try to remove them and the hair is almost gone from those areas. I have tried the micro tek spray almost every day, cowboy magic shampoo every so often and now I have resorted to like furazone etc trying to find something to make this stuff better and I cant seem to find a solution. Could this be ringworm he is suffering from? He use to be prone to rain rot on his rump and legs only but it doesnt have the same characteristics as rain rot. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back