Those who have had the patellar ligament cut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry to hear that Kody did not react as hoped to the first surgery, but a lot of these responses sound really promising. I hope that everything works out for the both of you, he seems like such an amazing horse. I'm wishing Kody the best.

I have no advice on stifles, as we've never had a prblem .... knock on wood.

I do, however, know exactly the heartbreak of helplessly watching the greatest horse I ever knew lose the ability to do what he loves to do, was meant to do. My sympathies are with you and Kody, and I hope things look up for you both soon.

I guess my question to the forum is this: For those of you who have had your horses' locking stifles cut, how long did it take for them to be pain-free and back to working again?

In our case the recovery time to pain free was Three Days back to working? we slowly increased his workouts over a month. At the end of that month he was back in the ring and loving every minute

No stall rest.... came home from the vets and back out in the pasture as per our vets instructions.

Would do it again ..... yes, yes with not a second thought. His surgery was 2 years ago and no problems what so ever.

Sure is cute to see our two curled up together out in the pasture or in a stall at a show.

P.S. the mare can sleep standing if she wants to, but she chooses to cuddle with her man.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Leia,[/SIZE]

I just want to say I hope everything will work out for the two of you. I can't imagine the two of you not doing your thing
default_no.gif
hang in there, keep asking questions and just know a lot of people are pulling for you
default_yes.gif

Kisses to your boy
default_wub.png

Joy

Hi Leia

from what I have been reading I think he would really benefit from the other surgery. I am so sorry that the first one didn't work and he is having so much trouble.

I wanted to tell you about a supplement I have been giving to my stallion with an old shoulder injury from before I got him... he also had some worn out front knees. I thought he hurt himself as he suddenly got so bad he was keeping his front legs stiff and rearing and shuffling on his back legs. Vet said his knees are shot and to give bute twice a day. Well the bute was not even helping and I worried about ulcers. I had been giving him glucosamine and msm for his shoulder before he suddenly got worse (two different bottles so I could give a high dose and it did help a lil. Before he suddenly got worse.) I was thinking I was going to have to put him down, and especially before winter set in. My mother in law told me about a supplement that her vitamin gal told her about that they carry for equines. I had her get me a 1 month supply (which goes by weight for big horses so lasted me much longer) and I really didn't think it would work any better than the glucosamine and msm that I was already giving. Well after about 3 weeks we couldn't believe the difference!!! He was getting around and bending his front knees again and trotting and even cantering some! Totally saved his life and his quality of life. I wasn't going to let him suffer any longer the way he was. I give him a lil bit of this powder once a day on a handful of grain. I told a friend whose daughter had a big horse with a bad foot that bothered him. We were on our way to the Oregon State Fair and they happened to have a booth there. So she bought a 3 months supply and so did I (which of course lasts me about 4 times as long only feeding it to a mini rather than a 1200 pound horse) She said her daughter would tell her she was crazy and wasted her money as she is a real doubting Thomas. Well I was anxious to see how it worked for them as we couldn't believe how well it worked for my lil guy. Well a month later she said he was picking his foot up for them now and was trotting and running in the pasture again something he hadn't done in a long time. They couldn't believe the difference! The daughter ended up buying 3 more big 3 month supply tubs. I am not affiliated with this product in any way... just can't believe the difference it made in my boy and I will feed it to him as long as it continues to work which it has been for almost 2 years now. check out www.stasound.com I really think this would help to benefit him, along with the surgery. It has glucosamine and msm (like I was giving) along with some other good stuff, but they must have the right recipe because it REALLY works! MUCH, MUCH better than just the glucosamine and msm I was giving and MUCH, MUCH better than the bute. I dont give ANY bute, just this supplement once a day.

Good luck!!

Sheri

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheri, what is the name of the supplement please? I have an older mare that could use a supplement and I might as well buy the best for her! Thanks!

Sta Sound website is www.stasound.com

I hope you all get the same results the me and my friend did. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. My guy was SO bad and just can't believe how well it worked for him.

Good luck!

Sheri

Sheri, what is the name of the supplement please? I have an older mare that could use a supplement and I might as well buy the best for her! Thanks!

Oh Leia,

I am so sorry to hear this news about Kody.

You guys are such a team.......

I've no personal experience but took hope

reading some of the other posts that maybe

there is some real light at the end of the tunnel,

you feel you are facing.

Got my fingers crossed for you.......

Oh Leia, you have helped me so many times that I wish I could help you out here, but I have (thankfully) no experience with this. It sounds like lots of other forum members have though, and I hope you find a solution that works for Kody. My only experience with equine surgery was colic surgery on my big horse (twice), and the decision was either do it or he dies. Even with a poor prognosis, he pulled through fine, had a short recovery and was back showing the same year. But I know these things are not easy on the owners!

I wish you and Kody the best and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary

You guys have me in tears now for an entirely different reason. Do you know how blessed I feel to have so many friends out there pulling for us and caring about Kody and I?? *sniff*
default_wub.png
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I've gotten a lot of sympathetic emails from people with some super horses who have also had to deal with this and it's nice to know I'm not alone and that there is hope.

I've called some local vets about the surgery and discussed it with the surgeon who did Kody's splitting. She says (get this
default_wacko.png
) 90 days in a stall. Conservative much?? Also another $1,000 as she wants to lay him down in the hospital to make sure she gets the right tendon. I trust her skill but will be checking with other vets recommended to me by a local breeder on this forum (thanks, you know who you are!
default_saludando.gif
) to find a somewhat cheaper option. There is no way I'm stalling him for even a third of that time- he'd come out with no muscle tone at all and I thought the most important part of stabilizing the joint was for the other tendons to strengthen enough to take the strain that the cut one had!

I do intended to do this surgery no matter what, the only question now is when. After I posted yesterday I went out and watched him run around before the vet came for vaccinations and was absolutely convinced that it had to be now. My mom hadn't seen the trotting problem I was talking about until then and was horrified at how bad it was. She was in total agreement that we had to do something. I called every local vet I could find and asked them to call me back with estimates. Then I went out to clean the paddocks and let Kody loose to run around.

And it was Kody himself who changed my mind about when. He was locking up terribly all the time but after awhile he started to work out of it and as he did he began to trot around. Then to gallop. Then to start having so much fun that he'd catch my eye from across the pasture, turn and charge right at me at a screaming run then slide to a halt and rear spectacularly as if to taunt me and beg me to play. (Yes, we had a discussion about manners which he accepted with good grace.) He'd play with me and the wheelbarrow for awhile, try to steal the pitchfork fifteen times or so, then turn around and spot Spyder or Mom and off he'd go at that galloping charge to harass the next person. It occurred to me that I really haven't been working him nearly as much as I thought I had for the last few weeks and perhaps that's a large part of the problem. There's no question that he needs this surgery but if I do it now he'll spend the better part of spring recovering just when he's finally getting fit and is so full of the joy of life. I looked in his eyes and saw a whole lot of "Let's go Mom!" and not one bit of self-pity or interest in becoming an invalid again even temporarily at this time of year.

You've all convinced me that he'd be back to regular work pretty quickly and that's great but normal round-penning, light driving and some jumping is not enough for what we do. He'd still miss most of the CDE season and right now he's rarin' to go and completely avid about his work. He's got as much say in this as I do and if he's going to be that way about it then I guess I'll just have to take the wild ride along with him.
default_wub.png
That little horse will keep me running, that's for sure!

So for now while I continue to talk to vets and explore surgical options (who, when, how much, etc.) we're redoing some fence lines and exploring another option with the help of a generous local forum member. Details will follow if it all works out but Kody will be thrilled and I'll have some help keeping him in shape and exercised. Hopefully between that and Daylight Saving Time I'll be able to keep him fit enough to beat the problem. Keep your fingers crossed for us! I'll keep you posted.

Leia

Latest posts

Back