Those who have had the patellar ligament cut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I've got to tell you guys I am my wit's end with poor Kody.
default_no.gif
We'd reached a point last year where I couldn't take the way he was locking up anymore so we spent $500 on x-rays then $800 to have the medial patellar ligament split on both legs in hopes that it would fix his locking. Everything I'd read in Equus magazine and my online researches said this surgery was nearly as effective as the desmotomy (having the tendon completely cut) with shorter recovery time and less pain. The surgeon warned me that especially with a problem as bad as his she only gave him about a 50% chance of improvement, not 90% like everyone else said, and that to see any improvement at all I'd have to be really diligent about his rehab and basically never let him get out of peak condition for the rest of his life if I wanted it to work. :DOH! I was discouraged by this but knew I could never forgive myself if I had the tendons cut and there was some problem and I hadn't tried the milder surgery first. So.....

Kody spent TWO MONTHS recovering from the splitting and seemed to get better exactly as soon as the vet had said he would, no sooner and no later. This leads me to trust this vet's opinions as to recovery times. The problem is that after a brief improvement Kody reverted to locking and now is WORSE than he's ever been.
default_crybaby.gif
At least before he only locked at the walk and as soon as he'd taken those first couple of steps I knew he wouldn't lock until he stood still again. Now he locks randomly on and off while he's walking and on a bad day he now locks at the TROT. It looks like someone with martinet strings is controlling his hindquarters and wobbling the strings randomly. One trot stride will be short, the next he'll kick his own belly, then it will buckle under him, then it'll be short again. I'm so incredibly frustrated I've literally gone to bed in tears three nights this week. I can't watch him do this anymore!!
default_crybaby.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_crybaby.gif
There isn't an icon on the menu to express how heartbroken I am at this point. It would be different if this was just a pet, just a regular average mini that would happily retire to the pasture while I showed another horse. I'd get them cut without a second thought and have done with it.

But this is Kody we're talking about. When he isn't locking his trot is getting more scopey, more powerful and more engaged every day. His dressage is coming along so well and he's just blowing me away in the hazards. He could be really good by the end of this year...I mean really good!
default_new_shocked.gif
During his recovery period this winter he learned all sorts of tricks which he now loves to show off and he's finally leading around a jumper course with manners like a normal horse. Lisa Pichler was teaching at a clinic we attended last weekend and she was very impressed with "the little brown horse" and complimentary of his enthusiasm and love for jumping. This is a National Champion hunter/jumper trainer!
default_new_shocked.gif
We've spent all winter training for obstacle in hand and he's finally understanding, finally got it down. He could be so gosh darn good if he only gets a chance. But right now he can't take a single sideways or backwards step without dragging a hind leg. One little girl at the clinic came up to me and asked me "Why are your horse's hind legs so sad? They don't move right." I had to bite my cheek hard to keep the tears from rolling down my face on the spot. I'm crying now and I can't stop. Why Kody? Why this poor little horse who tries so hard and has so much talent hidden in his handicapped little body?? Those of you who've met him know how special he is. His personality just radiates and involves everyone around him. He's nippy, pushy, has an attitude...and he's the best gosh darn horse I've ever met. He's got a heart as big as Seattle and when poop hits the fan he's the one I can count on to stay calm and do his best to get us out of it. And right now he can't even move without considering whether or not it's worth it.

He'll still be fine for the classes we've been entering all along (CDE's, jumper, driving) as they all involve going forward without pause for the judged sections but I'm terrified that I'll be dismissed from the entire show when the judges see him in that first halter obstacle class. At the same time we've worked so hard on it that I really want to enter! He can DO the things required and is willing to, he just drags a leg sometimes and I never know which day it will be. Some days he's fine.

We've done everything else. He's almost eight years old, had his selenium checked, had the splitting surgery, I work him regularly over raised trot cavalettis and on my neighbor's inclined treadmill, I've had the chiropractor work on him again this year and she says he's got very strong muscle tone through the back now. We even taught him to rear on her recommendation to strengthen his hind end! He can walk forward on his hind legs for as long as he wants to so it isn't like he's weak back there except conformationally.
default_rolleyes.gif
We keep his hind toes squared off and we've even got a board in his doorway so he has to step over a "caveletti" every time he wanders in or out of his stall. Iodine and hormone shots have almost zero chance of working if the splitting surgery didn't. The only thing left is having them cut.

But my problem is that the surgeon is telling me Kody will be out for months and months if I do that. She wants him basically immobilized in a stall for a very long time so he doesn't cause joint damage until things have healed and stabilized in that stifle after having 1/3 of its support cut. Then it will be a long road back to work and he might still have permanent lameness issues in both hind legs due to the surgery. Frankly I'm terrified. There's no question according to her that we'd lose the entire season if I did it now and I could possibly make my horse unsound for the rest of his young life, losing the things that he can do at this point and enjoys so much. This is not the kind of horse that would be happy retired to a pasture!
default_new_shocked.gif
He'll never make a therapy horse or any of those other useful occupations a lame mini can be put to safely. The only place he's truly happy is between the shafts and moving out. And yet I feel like I have no choice but to risk it now.

I guess my question to the forum is this: For those of you who have had your horses' locking stifles cut, how long did it take for them to be pain-free and back to working again? I've heard times as short as a week but I can't imagine that after having a tendon severed any horse would be completely normal so quickly. I mean come on, people with tendon injuries are out for months!

I can see how a horse who was locked and couldn't unlock themselves would be moving better in a short period of time, but I'm talking one who locks a little with every step and is otherwise normal. How long before they feel well enough to run, to jump, to trot out with power? Please be honest with me and tell me about those experiences where maybe the horse didn't heal so fast or was a little "off" in that leg for the rest of their life. I need to know what I'm getting into.

These horses can't sleep standing up anymore, can they? Can they still rest a hind leg while awake? Can they jump safely? Do you see them rearing and playing with other horses? What am I getting my horse into?!

Please help me. I can't take this anymore.
default_no.gif

Leia

Edited to add: Oh yes, and he's on Equinyl Combo with Hyaluronic Acid so just about every arthritis medication known to man in one bottle. Chondrotin sulfates, glucosamine, time-release glucosamine, manganese, zinc, copper, MSM, everything.

Edited one more time to add that if you would rather comment privately you can email me at Spyderwind @ aol.com (without the spaces) since my PM box is full.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I have no experience with this surgery, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you and Kody are going through this.
default_no.gif

Awwww... this post just breaks my heart... I hope people with experience have something positive to tell you.

Myself... I run away from horses with "issues" because I can't invest all that time, heart, and money in a horse that isn't versatile to my needs.

At the very least, I hope this thread is "proof" to those who breed horses whose stifles lock... or for people who tell others "oh, they will grow out of it" or "maybe it's just a feed thing" and then go on and let those colts breed because the locking is reduced or they just haven't seen it.... proof that it's NOT something we want to perpetuate! It is VERY common in Shetlands and Minis because WE GO AHEAD AND BREED IT.
default_no.gif

I would guess the surgery would be worth a try though, if he's that bad it can't be WORSE?

Have you put him on joint supplements, to help ease any damage it causes?

Good luck...

Andrea

Hi Leia,

I have been reading about Kody and am sorry that he is not improving with the surgery that he had.

I want to tell you that my primary driving horse had locking stifles. I tried the excercises, etc. before my vet warned me that if we waited too long to do a stifle surgery that he would develop arthritis in the joints and that would be worse for him.

Like you, I too did not want to have to put my horse through it but I had the surgery done where the tendon is cut completely through on both back legs. (I did not know there was a "splitting surgery".) The down time for my horse was minimal. He was up and at-em in about a month. He has never locked since and that has been five years now. There is nothing that will lock once the tendons have been completely cut, at least that is my understanding.

He was quickly a happier and care free horse after the surgery. The locking stifles weighed on him. So I am very happy that I had the surgery done for him.

The only complaint that I have is that he does not seem to have as much upward and forward reaching motion with the back legs now. But, he was only two years old when I had the surgery done so was not at his full potential as a driver at that time so not sure if he would have been that way if he had not had stifle problems to begin with.

So, I feel from my own experience, that the surgery to completely cut the tendon was definitely the way to go with my own horse.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Nikki Faubus

I have had the exact same experience on my little stallion Siggie that was misdiagnosed as having stifle issue when it was actually a shoulder tear. He had the same surgery as your Kody on both legs and couldn't go through the rehab of the surgery due to his actual shoulder tear. This was 2 years ago. The description of the marionette is identical to Siggie...My change to a new natural trim farrier and the introduction of AAKG (L-Arginine Alpha-KetoGlutarate) & Jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum) herb have had an unbelievable results..it is amazing the difference in his gait. I am so excited and he is improving everyday. The results are almost immediate if it is going to work. They are also using this treatment for laminitis..and it is discussed on the Cushings yahoo group..It is inexpensive and Siggie just gets 1/8 of a teaspoon of each mixed on his food. They must be used together. Idealistically you give it to them 20 minutes before they eat but I have been just sprinkling it on his Platform mini feed and slightly dampening it and mixing it together. I am also giving it to PowWow that also had a shoulder injury to help rebuild his muscle and have seen an immediate impovement in his gait also ...not near the limping that he had prior to its use.. AAKG is an amino acid used by body builders..and Jiagulan is an herb also called the j-herb or jia herb. It is not expensive. Here is a link to where you can purchase it. You can by the AAKG at Walmart it is called NOS.

It might be worth a try.

Here is a place you can get

Jiaogulan online

www.herbalcom.com

We have a gelding who had the surgery 15 years ago. He recovered completely and has great movement.

Seems like his recovery period was 3 weeks confined to a small paddock. Then we slowly increased his activity.

Here is a link to another thread on the topic , with experiences for others (that may be helpful).

Good Luck with your Guy!!!

-Becky

Only have had our racehorses done, but they are supposed to be the same a horse is a horse. Couple of days in a stall. None of them seem to be in pain afterwards. They were completely cut. I think we waited 3 weeks before taking them back to the track to excercise.

Hi Leia,

I just wanted to add my best wishes for a solution to Kody's problem. It has to be incredibly frustrating and worrisome.

I'll keep you and Kody in my thoughts!

Hugs,

Lori

Leia, I am so terribly sorry that you and Kody are going through this. If he were mine I would go ahead and do the surgery. He does seem good at times and bad others. I imagine it is very uncomfortable for them to lock. Maybe you could lease a horse for the season? Then you could still get out and keep improving yourself, and also have some fun with a second horse.

I know and feel your heartbreak, I really do. I lost the use of Ben at age 2 due to his permanent hock injury, and now have lost my amazing girl Sierra so young as well. It is just so terribly sad to see and experience these things when they still have so much going for them.

On a positive, somewhat related note. One of my former race horses, who shattered his accessory carpal bone and was given a prognosis of being able to lightly trail ride only from then on, has gone on to a very complete recovery and I have now heard he is competing in the Olympic trials as a jumper! Who could guess??? I did spend a full year re-habbing that guy, it was a very intensive time. But I wanted to point out that even when things look incredibly bleak, SOMETIMES the heart of the horse comes through and makes all of the difference.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Leia:

Sorry to hear the surgery did not work -- don't have any advice -- just have empathy.

JJay

Leia,

I've had only one horse w/locking stifles-the most expensive horse I ever bought, of COURSE....
default_no.gif
-as a stallion prospect(of course...
default_no.gif
). He began to manifest a real bite problem AND locking stifles in BOTH hinds at about the same time-at a little over a year of age. Nowadays, we would know to get in there and 'flatten' those teeth, but back then, it wasn't widely realized that you would EVER need to have a horse's teeth 'floated' at that early an age(I did have him done by around a full two, but it changed NOTHING.)Bottom line was, I couldn't breed him with those terrible hind legs, anyway, so the teeth were ultimately moot. I gelded him, told AMHA he was dead, gave him to my then-vet's vet tech, who lived and worked on a HUGE ranch, and just LOVED him--and where he would ALWAYS have lots of room to move around. Last time I spoke to her, his stifles were as bad, if not worse, than ever....(so readers, I agree 1000% w/ Andrea(disneyhorse)about NOT breeding horses w/ stifle issues!!)

Anyway--I have no 'remedies tried' to contribute, but do want to send you both my sympathies, for the anguish you are enduring over this, and my HOPE, that you can find something you can reasonably expect to do that will help your brave boy...how especially sad, and an injustice, for a little guy with so much heart and developed talent to be burdened this way....May you find an answer for you both!!

((HUGS to you AND Kody)),

Margo

Oh Leia, I hate hearing this news. You and Kody are probably on of the best "teams" on our board.
default_wub.png

I have never had experience with something like this, but I just wanted to say I will be over here praying that something will help Kody! I can feel your frustration. Just stay strong; I am sure something will come along to help y'all.

Tell Kody I am rooting for him!
default_cheekkiss.gif

I had it done on Bodie. He only locked up occasionally and I did it to see if it would help him not click the jump poles when he jumps in case it was making him stiff. A month later he was recovered and back to full training. We never have any problems with locking up (though we are still working on clicking) and he is driving and jumping. I'm sorry for your horse. I know it would be hard for me if that happened to Bodie. I love doing halter obstacle.

Gee, I'm so sorry to hear he's not improved from the initial surgery. I know how frustrating it is, and can't really offer much in the way of advice. I have a very promising 6 year old gelding who locked up, I had the splitting done and he is much better. Will still lock if he is stalled or inactive for any length of time though. I read Judy's post with interest - this same guy also had a shoulder injury that we can't quite seem to lick, so he is on R&R for a year....

Hope you find a solution for him - too much talent to waste.

Jan

DEX_3724_resize.jpg

DEX_4151_resize.jpg

Leia,

It breaks my heart to read your story. First of all the above horse had his medial patellar ligaments cut prior to me meeting him. It did not stop me from doing everything I wanted to do with him. Once the ligaments are cut the stifle cannot lock that is why they can't sleep standing up. The splitting surgery is an attempt to create scar tissue and therefore tighten the ligament. For some horses it isn't enough. I suggest you discuss your results with the surgeon and talk about the desmotomy again. Maybe get a second opinion on recovery time. I don't recall it being that long.

Write me if you need to.

Michelle

Leia, I am so sorry to hear about Kody's problem, I always read with interest your posts about what you and he do, watch your videos and I feel I know both of you from that. I hope you can find a solution, to have a horse with so much heart and talent and to be a part of a team like that is incredible. I wish you all the luck in the world, give Kody a hug for me.

<hugs>

Yvonne

Oh man,, he did look a little tentative a couple times out there in the arena. I was hoping he would keep healing. He is a young horse yet. I guess if I were you the only option would be to talk about the more drastic surgery. You might have to get another driving horse and have Kody do the minimal amounts at the shows, but still be your #1 cheerleader. I wish it was better news.

Leia,

I have had the stifle surgery done, and I would do it again in a New York second on any horse that is locking up -- I have heard, seen too many mixed reviews from the splitting - to the point that I am not convinced that it is at all effective in the long run. Every horse is different, but the ones that I have been around that were cut, were only stall bound a couple of days, then small paddock for about a month, then light work for another month and back to full tilt - I really believe that if you jumped on this now, that you and Kody would be back in business by late spring and wouldn't miss much of this year's season.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Stacy

PS The ones that I have known that have had the cut surgery NEVER did become arthritic and need pain meds like so many people claim - I strongly believe that the sooner this is done, the better likely the horse will NOT become arthritic -- and as far as sleeping - Kody will be happy as a clam at high tide to snuggle down in his stall and snore all night long - flat out.

I have had several done-all were young, ranging in age from 4 months to 3 years.My vet did not even put stitches in the very tiny incision. and required only 1 day stall rest and then back out with the rest of the guys.I am sorry your little guy is going through so much.good luck with him.

I have no advice for you, but I wanted to say how sorry I am you and Kody are going through this! I know how much he means to you, and if it were my Chili, I know I'd feel so horrible... jsut like you do... so *hugs* I hope, if you do the surgery, that it works on him and he'll be back to normal in no time!

Jessi

Back