Team Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
I know I am jumping the gun here considering Sunny is only starting out and I dont even have my cart yet
default_rolleyes.gif

But I have another stallion (1/2 brother) and next yr my plan all going well is to introduce him to the cart.

Banner is a very different build to Sunny and they move differently also Sunny is an inch taller. Now thats just their physical differences but their personalities are also very different. Sunny is like a gelding and soooo quiet. Banner while he is also very good and quiet he acts more stallion like and he seems to consider things and think more.

Now I would never attempt to drive 2 stallions but 1 if not 2 will be gelded if one isnt sold but what do you need from your horses to make them a successful driving team.

Do they need to be a simialr size, gait, personality etc.

Like I said I am jumping the gun but I am curious to know what makes a team successful.

Banner is a very different build to Sunny and they move differently also Sunny is an inch taller.
This will be your biggest challenge. Pair horses need to move alike more than be the same size or color. For good pair information, see drivingpairs.com

Myrna

Thanks will have a look at that. I get the feeling that Sunny and Banner wont be a match as a driving team but might be somthing to look into in the future - a couple of nice geldings
default_yes.gif

It's kinda funny how much it can vary from horse to horse. I know amiable geldings who could be slapped next to just about anyone and although they might be a bit confused, they'd do whatever you asked. Some stallions would not be able to keep their mind on their work with any other horse in their vicinity while I know others who are regularly paired with a mare and are perfectly business-like! It really is very individual. My Kody is a sweet friendly guy who enjoys being social with other horses but he's also a major Alpha personality and cannot be stalled with another horse without causing mayhem. For him any other male who is not either totally submissive or 6 hands taller than him is not to be tolerated in his space once off-lead and he's very happy driving as a single horse. Now a MARE, those he worships and will gladly be bossed around by. I suspect I could have paired Kody with a mare years ago with no prep at all and he would have done fine. But another boy? Oh goodness!
default_new_shocked.gif

For the first year Turbo was here Kody spent most of his time trying to dominate this unruly almost-2 year old stud colt and didn't tolerate any sharing of Mom's attention. Trying to lead them together was a suicide attempt. Kody kept trying to drive Turbo away from me, Turbo kept trying to dash around in front of me and start something with Kody or go behind me and mount him, and I wasn't physically strong enough to discipline them both like I wanted to. I worked with them a lot individually to establish proper manners and control and got help to lead them down the road together until they got used to it and learned the rules. I got very firm with Kody that I was to be the only one disciplining the baby when there was tack on and he learned to surrender that role to me and trust I would do it. Turbo had to learn to respect me and focus on me instead of his playmate. It was a LOOONGG road and most people seeing them at that point would have said they'd never make a pair.

With another year under their belts though (and yes, Turbo getting gelded) they're settling into a more amicable relationship where Kody can simply cock an ear back and Turbo backs off. I can lead them both together and they're starting to enjoy each other's company and find amusement in matching strides on the pavement. I'm already working them on staying together, urging a laggard on with my voice until they're once again head-to-head and pacing evenly. I think with another year they'll be a fine pair but it certainly wasn't something that happened quickly and Kody couldn't be paired with just anyone. I had to find just the right horse for him.

The boys do not match in color but they don't clash either. Turbo is butt-high where Kody has prominent withers but they measure about the same. Turbo has borderline Single Pleasure movement and Kody is totally a WCP mover, and yet they match strides all the time and stay together. Turbo is prettier than Kody and does very well in halter competition and yet their heads are the same length and width, their tails attach at the same height, and they somehow manage to look like a pair of identical bookends when they nap together in the paddock. Turbo has more pulling power but Kody more ambition and experience. Where Turbo might hesitate, Kody will go forward. Where Kody might get overexcited and cause problems, I think with some work Turbo will hold firm and obey. Kody gets easily frustrated but thinks like lightning and Turbo is just as smart but a little steadier, a little slower, and a lot more easy-going. I think they're going to be a wonderful complement to each other.

For recreational driving you can usually pair any two well-trained, amenable horses. For show-ring driving you want two who are physically very well-matched in color, size and movement. For the kind of driving I want to do, it would be nice if they matched better in color and style but personality and training is most important to me. I'll be honest and say that your boys don't sound like great pair prospects right now not because of their gender but the physical and personality traits, but sometimes unlikely horses can surprise you. Keep an eye out for two that like to be together and move alike and let color and size come after that! Two that match may not pair up well so look for that pairing first, then a physical match.

Leia

Latest posts

Back