Taking Mini to schools

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
I would love to start taking ShotGun to schools for younger kids, to old folks homes, to kids who need hospice etc.

What should I do to get him ready for this? Any advice would be great please.

The only thing I might have a problem with this is when he takes a treat from your hand he tends to not be aware of fingers heheh. He just bites the food and although he isnt aggressive about food he does tend to do this. Not being mean or aggressive, he just bites down for the food and sometimes nips the palm of my hand. Any suggestions to help stop this or is it even possible?

Also, since I don't want him getting sick from all the kids etc, what shots should he be getting? He will be gelded sometime next month before it gets hot, so I want the vet to get him utd on everything.

He has never kicked at me or any of the grandkids, adopted kids or actually anyone. He has kicked at the dogs for chasing him or the goats for butting at him, so don't think that would be a problem. But will make very sure he is ready for so much attention
default_smile.png

What kind of insurance should I have to cover him and liabilty? Will it also cover him while being trailered to and from?

If I am accepted by CMHR as a rescue/foster home I would also love to have any mini I may care for trained to be able to do this if they are able.

So many little ones need to have and to share their love with each other. The kids to be able to hug the minis and the minis to be loved and hugged on.

Any suggestions, ideas, advice, training tips would be wonderful.

Thank you!

default_wub.png
AAAWWW...Good for you. I take a couple minis every fall to my grandkids school and have done so for the last four years. We ususally take Poco (seasoned Veteran) and a couple yearlings along for the ride. This past fall we had 90 kids-all so well behaved it was unbelievable. The teachers have become veterans themselves and help out too. We have Q & A time and this year the teachers scanned a picture of a horse for each child to take back to the classroom to color. I know it doesn't sound like much but to some kids they have never touched a horse let alone feed one by hand and it is a HUGE deal for them! We plan about a month in advance and also plan for a rain day.
default_luck.gif

Thats exactly what I want to do. I want kids to know about horses, to help educate them on basic care. To allow them a experience they have never had before. For these kids to run there hands over a real horse, to feel the warmth of there skin, how soft they are etc. Ok before I get all mushy here hehehe.

Do you put a saddle pad or saddle on your minis to show them. I don't want the kids ON him, but just to show them how it works etc.?

My grandsons school will be the first I hope. He is in preschool and will be in kindergarten next year. They have a wonderful parking lot and grassy area to show him off.

I was also thinking of taking a picture of all the kids with him and making them something special to hang in the class room or even printing it out for them all.

I am so excited to do this but know it will be some time before I get him all ready for this.

It's great that you want to be so prepared! As far as the nipping, just don't allow the kids to give him treats. If you have a class of 30 kids (minimum) that would be a lot of treats anyway! If he is only mouthy with treats, that should take care of the nipping issue. The first time we went to the nursing home the workers had fed the one little mini a whole bag of shreded carrots before we ever got off the trailer
default_new_shocked.gif
She them proceeded to steal the cookies off of the napkins in the residents laps, they got a kick out of it
default_laugh.png
I don't think there is anything special you need to do as far as shots, he's not going to catch the kid's colds! As far as insurance, I have no idea. It sounds like a good idea to have it in case something should go wrong, but it was never anything we bothered with (this was several years ago now). I think you will have a lot of fun! Most horses really seem to love kids. My girl is very impatient when it is just me, but the moment a child starts loving on her, she is happy to stand for hours!

Please be careful when you are on the school grass and ask in advance if they treat their grass with chemicals for weeds etc. We did our show & tell on the gravel and let Poco start out (she will stand all day and let kids love on her) and then lead the yearling up toward the end just so they could get a FEEL for it.

I have never done this, but I work in an elementary school, so can provide some perspective.

First thing is, the kids are going to want to touch and pet and hug. So you either need to prepare them for the fact that that is not allowed, or you need a horse that is 100% bomb proof and with a good attitude ALL the time.

The kids WILL go home and ask their parents if they can "have one" so education is key! The horse is not a toy and you have to take care of it!

There will always be the child who will run up and make big sudden movements, or the kid who has a really loud voice, so again, make sure your horse is appropriate for this.

Prepare yourself for silly questions, and sill requests ("can you make him roll over?") because you will get them!

They will want to feed them a treat even if you tell them they can't.

The worst thing you could possibly do is ask for ONE volunteer to come up and do something special when their are 40 other kids sitting there who would all love that opportunity. I know the saying "Life isn't fair" but you have to remember that many of the kids will never have seen even a horse before, let alone a mini horse, and may never again, so you don't want to leave them with a bitter taste in their mouth.

Communicate with the teachers or leaders ahead of time. Give them the ground rules so that they can prepare their students ahead of time. Kids like predictability. And there will be teacher's that have never seen a mini before, so they may be clueless to what seems like common sense to us.

If your mini gets nippy even with treats I would not let the kids get anywhere near the head, perhaps only let them pet the mini at the shoulder with you holding on to the halter. This is a serious liability and you don't want to risk it. It also makes me nervous that you say the mini kicks at dogs or goats when they chase him. In schools you have to expect the unexpected and there's no saying a child isn't going to burst out of their seat and coming running up behind the mini before anyone has a chance to stop him.

Personally, from a teacher's perspective, I would not even show the kids the saddle. This presents 2 problems. One, kids see a saddle and they think its time for a ride, end of story. Two, it tells them that it is appropriate to be riding minis, and unless you plan to only visit pre-schools, chances are, they are too big to be riding minis.

They would love to have their picture taken with the mini, and just as an FYI, their parents would love to have a copy of that picture.

The biggest thing is liability. I think you will find that some schools won't even allow you to visit because of the liability.

I would also educate the adults/teachers prior to the engagement, or bring helpers with you. Kids will be excited for this and you will need the extra hands and traffic control.

Last edited by a moderator:
He hasn't ever bitten anyone, although once he did turn his head to the farrier but I stopped him cold. So just won't let him have treats when there hehe.

The one other thing he does, is he sometimes paws the ground with his left foot. Almost like he is counting and I am thinking of a way I could train him to do it on cue, maybe clicker training? Ive never done any clicker training before but have been doing alot of reading and watching videos about it. Just have to get the timing right and be consistent in my words and actions.

I know ShotGun is a grade/pet quality mini, but to me and in my eyes, he puts Man O War to shame. I worshiped Man O War when I was younger
default_wub.png

I have never done this, but I work in an elementary school, so can provide some perspective.
First thing is, the kids are going to want to touch and pet and hug. So you either need to prepare them for the fact that that is not allowed, or you need a horse that is 100% bomb proof and with a good attitude ALL the time.

The kids WILL go home and ask their parents if they can "have one" so education is key! The horse is not a toy and you have to take care of it!

There will always be the child who will run up and make big sudden movements, or the kid who has a really loud voice, so again, make sure your horse is appropriate for this.

Prepare yourself for silly questions, and sill requests ("can you make him roll over?") because you will get them!

They will want to feed them a treat even if you tell them they can't.

The worst thing you could possibly do is ask for ONE volunteer to come up and do something special when their are 40 other kids sitting there who would all love that opportunity. I know the saying "Life isn't fair" but you have to remember that many of the kids will never have seen even a horse before, let alone a mini horse, and may never again, so you don't want to leave them with a bitter taste in their mouth.

Communicate with the teachers or leaders ahead of time. Give them the ground rules so that they can prepare their students ahead of time. Kids like predictability. And there will be teacher's that have never seen a mini before, so they may be clueless to what seems like common sense to us.
What wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much for the insight and you are quite right about kids feeling left out so to speak. I remember when I was in school and how I felt when they didnt pick me, so will always keep that in mind.

I am so excited about this but want to make sure he is ready for it, so will probably wait until the fall when it is cooler to do it. That will give me time to make sure he is as good as I need him to be. Get him used to loud noises, papers flapping at him, so many little hands touching him all over, grabbing at him etc.

Lord I can see it now and makes my old heart thump at the thought of so many babys touching my lil man. He and they both are gonna be in horse heaven!!

Thank you again for the advice and heads up, I will remember it!

Minie, I never even thought of the grass having chemicals! Good thing you said something, I never would of thought about it!

Thats why I am on this forum, to learn and I am. Thank you ~S~

If interested in taking him places I'd recommend getting him tested and become a therapy animal.

This way they have liability insurance.

By having this it can open doors.

If interested in taking him places I'd recommend getting him tested and become a therapy animal.This way they have liability insurance.

By having this it can open doors.
Great idea, how would I go about doing this? He will never be sold, he is my heart and lifetime companion but would love to know how and what he needs to do to be become a therapy horse.

I've taken my horses many times to schools, fairs, and nursing homes. when working with children, I always take several brushes and combs. They love to brush and comb, and the horses enjoy it. I show them hooves, and let them feel the hoof. I show them where the end of the tail actually is. We look at the teeth. Mine never poop while working, so that has not been an issue, but a plastic grocery sack would quickly take care of most messes. Use it like a glove, then fold it in on itself. Just be matter-of-fact about any thing "ooooo" ish. If your horse drops, just calmly say, yes he is a boy horse. They will want to know anyway if it is a boy or a girl horse.

Treats are a no-no, and don't even let ONE child sit on the horse, or you will have a bad precedent.

Watch out for glass doors--mine ran into a double one one time as he did not perceive it was a barrier, and it did not occur to me to watch out for him.

Here is Dapper Dan showing off his pearlies:

dansteeth.jpg

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back