Tack for Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
I need to know about bridles. I have one that came with the saddle pad I got for him. It is a nylon bridle set, the snaffle bit is 3 1/2 inches. But it doesnt have a nose strap or chin strap. The bit actually looks like a driving bit from the pictures Ive seen. Ive never used a snaffle before so have no idea about them to be honest. He isn't completely neck reined and will turn single reined, but ends up going in circles.

I want to use the correct bit on him and I don't want my grandsons heavy hands to hurt his mouth. My grandson is only 4 1/2 and is still learning to ride and rein him.

I need advice please.

What bit should I be using if one at all? What would be the best solution if no bit?

Should I just keep using the halter and reins? He will turn and stop with halter but grandson has to really pull back to stop him and I don't want him to do this.

How do I teach my grandson not to be so heavy handed? He really wants to learn to ride and loves ShotGun. His balance is getting really good. But since ShotGun isnt really neck reined he doesn't have much choice.

So how do I train them both correctly? What bit should I use and should it have a nose band and chin strap?

Well, that's kind of a tough one--if he doesn't neck rein then it's not appropriate to use a curb bit on him--you really aren't supposed to direct rein with a curb bit. Direct reining calls for a snaffle type bit. You won't want your grandson hanging/pulling on the reins with a curb bit--any leverage bit is meant to be used with a brief pressure and then release. At the same time a snaffle bit is not meant for hanging on/pulling on either--they're meant for light, steady contact and aren't good if the rider gives a loose rein & then suddenly pulls on the reins... With the snaffle bit you really don't need either the noseband or the chinstrap--though a chinstrap on a snaffle bit can help to steady the bit and prevent it from pulling through the mouth (something a good half cheek bit isn't real likely to do anyway).

I would say the halter and reins, if the horse is responsive--and sounds like your guy isn't really, since your grandson has to pull on him a lot if he rides with the halter & reins. Are there Mini sized sidepulls available anywhere? One of those would give a little more control than a halter yet would be easy on the horse without pulling on his mouth. I wouldn't suggest a bosal--I personally love bosals, but don't believe they are for young children. Too much pulling on a bosal can sore a horse's jaw.

does your grandson ride in the corral on his own, or do you have him on a lead rein? If he's on a lead rein then I would suggest the snaffle bit and just watch how he's using the reins and remind him to be light with his reins--teach him to be light handed. If the horse doesn't respond to a light pull on the reins then you can reinforce that with the lead rope. Meantime, you could spend some time long lining, so that you can teach Shotgun to be light on the bit--that will make it easier for your grandson to control him, and therefore easier for him to learn to have light hands.

I would train your mini first. Teach your mini to ground drive. Once they can do that, they will respond just fine in a bit and reins. My son is too young to ride on his own, but in leadline, I use the same type bit you're describing. Its the bit my horse is use to driving in. So I use it for riding also.

I would teach your grandson a bit about riding first. Have him learn to use a bridle properly from something that isn't living (like tie the reins to the handle bar of a bike). Then he can see that it just takes a little tug to turn a horse rather than yanking them.

I would not use a halter and reins. There is no control over a horse on that. If you'd like to try something without a bit, I would see if you could find a mini hackamore (I'm sure I've seen them on ebay or a mini horse store). That way there is some control over the horse should it spook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent advice form both people...I would just add that you can easily make a slip piece to go on the halter, from one side to the other to make a bit of a draw rein underneath and give a little more leverage to the reins, sort of like a half check on a dog collar??

Perfect advice from all of you. Thank you so much.

I like the snaffle bit, although it did slide through his mouth a little and I stopped him instantly. So I think maybe a chin strap will help that along with a better fit.

My grandsons patience wasn't at it's highest, nor was mine for the kid hehe. ShotGun was perfect
default_wink.png

Next time will have to tell hubby to stay inside and not work on the motorcycle, the boy got that "shiny attitude". You know which one, you see something shiny and your off focus? hehehe

I actually think shotgun was one of those lead around ponies for the fair or circus? He leads very well although he tends to put his head at my hip as he walks.

Thats what I have been doing, leading him around so he can learn to get his balance better and so far he has done pretty good. He wanted to ride by him self, so I let him walk around the track or he tried to anyway. He had a habit of pulling to the left so Shotgun kept turning to the left instead of going forward. So will have to work on this heavy hands more.

Latest posts

Back