Smokey Blacks and Smokey Silvers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Erica's Echos of My Destiny (HOF)[/SIZE]
2004 32.5” AMHR / AMHA smoky silver black stallion – co-owned with Erica Killion
National Champion / Many Time Grand Champion / Halter Hall of Fame / Multi National All Star / AMHA Honor Roll
Grandson of both Alvadars Double Destiny and Little Kings Buck Echo

Destiny%20--%20Shannon%20Shot%20--%20Favorite%20Smaller.jpg

Destiny%20Area%205%202006%203.jpg

Destiny%20Pictures%20By%20Shannon%20--%20June%202007%20--%20001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He is beautiful Jill. My stallion has a mane that is similar in color. I'm not sure really what color he is. Some have said silver smokey black, others have said silver seal brown and silver bay. I would love it if he was a silver smokey black. When the budget allows I will get him tested. No foals yet to help out. Thanks for sharing your guy.

03coltm.jpg

When this showed up out of my sorrel mare and by my smoky black stallion, I was rather surprised. I didn't realize, then, that my mare carried silver.

03ceye.jpg

His light blue eyes were also puzzling....

mouseboringb.jpg

As a yearling, he had a silvery-platinum sheen to his coat when clipped, and light, gold-olive colored eyes.

mousest05a.jpg

His coat would be darker later in the season, but his eyes have stayed lighter:

mouseeye804.jpg

mousel06.jpg

mweb06.jpg

This is how he looks in the late Summer, clipped. His eyes get quite a bit of attention, and really add to his naturally expressive personality.

It's a beautiful color, IMO.

Liz M.

100_4620.jpg
Kiowa our yearling smokey black stud colt. He has two blue eyes. One eye is half brown and half blue and the other eye is all blue.

DSC01074-1.jpg

DSC01062-1.jpg

DSC01059-1.jpg

I have just sent hairs off to test this little darling, I'm thinking she's a smokey something!!

wisp1.jpg

Here are 2 of ours one is sired by a buckskin the other a black pinto both out of the same cremello mare

he looked to be a true black non fading by the black pinto

http://ruffntuffminis.com/images/striker.JPG

This was a odd color one who "looked" smokey

Jack.jpg

just goes to show you cant always tell by looking
default_yes.gif
:

Yes, a few people suspected he was champagne, but he's incapable as far as I know, because one parent would have to be.

That said, his grandmother (Dell Tera's Betty) is one of the last known living daughters of Dell Tera's Hippy, who is a known champagne ancestor.

I think it is just the interaction of silver and creme dilutes, though it IS fascinating. His full brother had blue eyes, also, and the same interesting sheen in his coat, though Comet was a palomino in appearance (same smoky black stallion X the same sorrel carrying silver mare).

Liz

I also have a smokey black who was born with bright blue eyes, and they are now hazel at 3 years old.

She was tested to be smokey black, but does NOT carry silver.

Here's Shimmer..........

Color and Eye color as a baby

291503daysshimeyes.JPG

Eyes as adult

29150shimeyec.jpg

Summer color as adult

29150J17rightshim.JPG

Latest posts

Back