silver bay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
he is not a bay...but a deep red..mom is a silver bay and dad is a bay...his tail is flaxen.....went to fill out the form and my choice is bay or sorrel...hhhmmm....what do you put?

EDITED TO ADD...WILL SOMEONE POST PICTURES OF THEIR SILVER BAY FOALS?? THANKS!! Here is a picture of him and his mama..she is reg as a sorrel but with her gray tinged legs I know she is a silver bay

DSC03314.jpg

DSC03284-1.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the temp registration I have for one of my two year olds who is AMHR registered. I wrote in silver bay and that's what's on the certificate they sent back.

If he is indeed a red colt, then I suppose you'd put 'sorrel'. There again, I've seen several horses registered as sorrel/chestnut, when they were really bay silvers. Silvers come in quite an array of colours and can fool us as youngsters.

Lizzie

But why would she do that Lucky-C, if she's not sure? If the sire and dam carry red, he could be a chestnut, with or without carrying silver. Remember silver doesn't express on chestnut/red horses. On another message thread, I showed a pic of a very black silver Gypsy. His sire is a black and white Tobiano. His dam is a chestnut, carrying silver and has produced other silver foals.

Black silvers are often a pewtery (almost pale lavender) colour when born with white eyelashes. I haven't had any bay silvers, so have not had much experience with their colour as youngsters.

In the end, it's always best to colour test when we are not sure.

Lizzie

I agree that if you aren't sure, then you should try to test before registering. I had a foal born this year to a bay roan and the sire was a bay pinto. I couldn't tell if the foal was bay roan or blue (black) roan - the foal looked blue roan to me. I tested and they determined that the foal was bay not black.

But you can always register the foal as what you think it is and then change it later if necessary.

In about 1-2 weeks I'll get my fist American miniature, the seller say he is silver bay. Had never heard about that color so did look it up. Many of the horses on google did look like my chestnut/sorrel shetland, what is the different in the colors ? This are the pix I've on the mini guy I'll get
default_smile.png
Haven't seen him irl (he's from another country)

He as a foal:

32597543.jpg

And a newer:

32597548.jpg

This is my chestnut shetland: http://proxy1.pixbox...80/32587435.jpg

There is no problem in getting silver bay put on the AMHR papers--I have several registered as siver bays.

How old is the foal? Sometimes the silver bay coloring becomes more obvious as the foal gets a bit older. I had one colt that was born looking very much like a chestnut--except that his ears were tipped in "flaxen". I suspected that was the silver gene bleaching out the black ear tips of a bay, but his legs did not show the charcoal/grey coloring that silver bay legs usually have. I posted his photo on here & everyone said "chestnut" & when he was 3 months old I registered him as chestnut. At 5 months....he was obviously a silver bay. His legs became the typical charcoal color, if a bit lighter shade than some silver bays...if I had just waited a couple months longer I would have known what his true color was and would have registered him correctly. He's a gelding & so far I haven't shown him, so I haven't bothered to change his color on his papers. In future, though, I will listen to those ear tips--they don't lie!

Not Minis, but I found two Gypsy foals for you.

Here is a bay silver tobiano colt. His colour has a brownish effect.

baysilver.jpg

Here is a black silver tobiano newborn filly, owned by my daughter. You can see the pale pewtery colour.

oneday7.jpg

These two youngsters have black and white tobiano dams and share the same bay silver sire. The dam of the filly, tested homozygous for black. The filly now looks like this at twenty five months.

atrotleft.jpg

Lizzie

Silver bay foals:

Serenade04_1_4x6.jpg

The above filly grew into this (kind of a fuzzy spring photo of her!):

Serenade08_1sm.JPG

For kuusou - here is a yearling silver bay filly:

RevaJulyshowsm.JPG

and this is an older Mini mare:

Scarlet04_1_4x6.jpg

And the rest of the photos I wanted to post, since I couldn't put them all into one post:

This is another of our silver bay foals:

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

This little filly grew up to be this color:

IMG_1769.JPG

And this is a silver bay pinto colt--hard to see in this photo but in person he's a very neat color:

267885_214610868583942_100001050908312_684670_713419_n.jpg

I will have to hunt for photos of the gelding who was born looking very much like a chestnut except for his ear tips!

I only have pics of our silver bay as a 5 month old:

IMG_2147.jpg

As a yearling, partially clipped:

IMG_3972-1.jpg

As a fully clipped but grown back in yearling:

IMG_47474x6.jpg

When I first got her and posted about her color on these boards, one key was that her mane had a lot of gray/silver in it, not just flaxen. And, when you separated her hair and looked down to her skin, it was a dark gray. All of this was the markers we used to determine her to be a silver bay. Then she clipped out to an almost dappled gray which grew back in as a chestnut/sorrel color.

And, she has stripes on her hooves....which I was told was another sign for silver bay.

Kuusou. Your Mini does look silver bay to me.

Lizzie
Okey
default_rolleyes.gif
Do you think his mane will become lighter ? It deos not look like the other horses mane in this tread.

Not all silver bays have such light mane and tails.

Here is one of ours as an adult. You can see how the newer mane hairs are coming in darker:

WR09PVKing2.jpg

Sorry, I misread the original as she was thinking the colt WAS silver bay..

This is my silver bay colt from this year:

249793_10150190233054613_224524494612_6908590_6987427_n.jpg

247239_10150192598359613_224524494612_6934199_6798021_n.jpg

Most recent, which won't help alot since he is a roan lol

271115_10150231613394613_224524494612_7270988_309205_n.jpg

Here is his dam, also a silver bay roan, and as you can see she's very red

41161_423643179612_224524494612_4900819_5159465_n.jpg

Actually, kuusou, I think yours might just be chestnut sabino. The sabino often throws off the color a bit. Visit Pacific Pintos to see examples-it often gives the appearance of silver when in fact there is none.

Wanted to add that he might be bay too-hard to tell from just a head shot. Any full body pictures?

Your mare and colt are beautiful.

But I think your colt is a sorrel/chestnut. His mane, tail and legs are to red. Most horses I have seen that turn silver bay usually have lighter mane, tail and legs.

Have no new body pics. But none of his parens are chestnut. The seller says he is silver bay overo. His dad is appaloosa colored and mother is bay overo.

Hera are some foal pics of him that I've got.

outlaw.jpg

outlaw21.jpg

32597545.jpg

Latest posts

Back