Sidechecks and Mylers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardie&sparki

Reaction score
I just got my Christmas present to myself in the mail today, a harness from Triple L and am trying to figure out how to set up the sidecheck to my myler. Can someone show me a close up of theirs? I keep getting all the terminology messed up and hate to do it wrong from some silly misunderstanding.
oops.gif
Is the check supposed to connect to the same spot the bridle itself does?

Thank you so much,

Ardie

I have attached mine to the same place as the bridle...I suppose it would depend on how thick or wide the check is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it IS supposed to attach to the same place as the cheek piece... Why bit makers of driving bits make the bit perch so small is beyond me. Plenty of people do it the wrong way, but that doesn't make it right.

The reason is because you do not want any curb action from the check rein, a side check should pull directly up into the mouth and not engage the joint or curb of the mouthpiece.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I attach mine to the same place the bridle is attached. I bought my harness from Herron Tack and he helped me put it together and fit it to my horse. He put a silver ring (like on key chains) on the side check connections to use to connect to the bridle for a more comfortable fit. I can take a picture of it if that doesnt make any sense
default_rolleyes.gif

My trainer just tightens the screw on the check together very well and uses a small black zip tie to attach it to the same slot as the bridle goes in.

Tammy

Like Target's Mom, I have always attached the side check to the upper front portion of my Myler bit (above the little ball) because that is how it's shown on a diagram on the Estate Horse Supply website and, more importantly, it wouldn't fit anywhere else!
default_laugh.png
I like the idea of using a zip tie or snap of some kind and may try that; normally curb action isn't an issue for me because I keep my check loose enough the horse can't feel it anyway. (Hate those things!)

disneyhorse said:
Why bit makers of driving bits make the bit perch so small is beyond me.
I find many of the ones on miniature bridles are too large, and that causes problems of its own.
default_sad.png
I hate it when a leverage bit moves loosely on the bridle so that the mouthpiece doesn't lay right and the poll is never engaged! Ick. It's just...sloppy. If I wanted the bit to rotate under the least pressure I'd have gotten a half-cheek snaffle.

Leia

This topic came up a year or so ago. Someone said he attached his side check to the caveson. That is what I did. I was set up to use it that way at an AMHR show, but my horse had an injury and we didn't do the class. So I don't know if the judges would have noticed or accepted it.

It looks very tidy attached that way. For those of us who don't use a check, but need to satisfy a rule, it seemed like an option.

Latest posts

Back