showing a hyper stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTango

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old stallion that has been shown before..Placed very well in nationals..

So I bought him from the owner..This will be my first time showing a stallion in a show.

He seems to be very "showy, prancy, studly acting"...I dunno how he would act inside of a show ring though..

anything I could do to calm him down?

default_saludando.gif
Is he being naughty or just a big show off

ahh I would not say he was being bad..he is just a big show-off..Like he wants to be ahead of me when he walks on a lead..rears on his hind legs..he is just "prancy" acting..I dunno if I could get him to hold still for long.lol

I have a mare that does this too. She is so hard to get to stand still. I would be interested in someones answer too.

How long have you had him? [Not just purchased, but physically on your property.] Some horses take longer to settle into a new environment. If he was calm in the show ring when you saw him, perhaps he just needs more time to adjust to his new digs.

default_saludando.gif
he sounds like he needs a bit of one on one with you lots of time and tell him what you wont him to do not what he wonts to do weres the pictures he sounds like a stunner

oo I brought him here 10-31-2009
Its possible/probable that he's still settling in. I know show horses are different, as they are usually used to travelling and new environments; but, i bought a broodmare and it took her nearly a year to settle in and get used to my routine and the other horses, she still gets a little upset with changes and she's been here almost 3 years now.

yeah ill just spend some time with him..he is very sweet when he aint showing off..lol

thanks everyone!

this is Spectacular Bay Dream Come True at the 2006 nationals..

Dream-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the walking ahead of you and rearing is just bad manners IMO. He can strut his stuff and be obediant too. Lots of walking with him , when he walks ahead of you , take him back a few paces or more. Use a driving stick as an extention of your hand to help guide him back , tap it ever so lightly at his feet , or if he is super sensitive on the ground in front of his feet, and you back up with him, when he starts to back up stop tapping with the stick. I would just channel that energy into learning some manners. If he is too hyper to walk nicely with you or have a trainning session , then round pen him until he calms down ...well, for 10 min or so, not like an hour , thats cruel IMO, then try the training again. He should be following your body language , when you step back he should , when you walk forward , he should etc. Stallions can be showie and well mannered.

Calvin acts like that every time I lead him out of the barn. What a show off. He comes off the trailer everytime like that too, I let him, but he shows like a dream.

Lots of TIME with him. He should never rear, IMO, when you have him on a lead! Too many people seem to think some of the bad manners, including rearing, that they would NEVER tollerate in a big horse are Cute in a mini. Again IMO that's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

When our stallion was only 2 he would do that but the trainer told us to correct him and after only a time or too he stopped. The trainer said when he goes up in the air jerk on that lead rope (I said lead rope not chain) and try to make him fall. Once he realizes that on two feet he's NOT in control he'll keep all four on the ground. Our boy is very laid back but I believe because we have worked with him on manners, he can show in an arena with mares and never do anything past hollering once or twice (even that's annoying to me) to announce himself. He breeds very enthusiastically but I can also walk him past the mare's stall with only a huh,huh,huh out of him.

Biting and rearing are terrible no,nos! They should be corrected immediately. Remember 3 seconds and they'll have forgotten what they did to deserve the correction.

The leading as already advised, youneed to find something to let him know where his "space" is at. You could use a broom handle or long whip to carry across the front of you and each time he pushing ahead of that, he gets backed up or circled or whatever makes him think and WORK. Most stallions and geldings tend to the lazy side so when he gets the idea that if he crosses that line he has to work hard, he'll opt for the easy path.

What a PRETTY BOY! It sounds to me like he needs to go back to some basic ground manners. Go back in his training to the very beginning of halter training just to remind him of what is expected of him. No matter what the situation any horse should move quietly beside you at whatever speed you are going and should do this on a loose lead.....I don't mean feet of loose lead, but putting no pressure on the lead.

Have fun with him!

Charlotte

Has he been shown since 2006!! Or just used to breed with? That can also make a HUGE difference. I also know some farms never let their stallions out except to breed, and they become very 'chargey' and hard to handle like this. They think every time they get out they are going to breed something.

I am sure, having been shown, that your stallion DOES have some manners buried under there somewhere and knows better- I would make him mind and pay attention to you, not squealing and charging ahead (I've known others to end up getting kicked from this type of behavior).

He probably needs to settle down more, since it's a new place, but I would get after him to stop his bad behavior and act like a gentleman. Sounds like lots of daily walks are in order, LOL

Has he been shown since 2006!! Or just used to breed with? That can also make a HUGE difference. I also know some farms never let their stallions out except to breed, and they become very 'chargey' and hard to handle like this. They think every time they get out they are going to breed something.
I am sure, having been shown, that your stallion DOES have some manners buried under there somewhere and knows better- I would make him mind and pay attention to you, not squealing and charging ahead (I've known others to end up getting kicked from this type of behavior).

He probably needs to settle down more, since it's a new place, but I would get after him to stop his bad behavior and act like a gentleman. Sounds like lots of daily walks are in order, LOL

He has never been bred. He does have manners..when he feels like it..haha.

I took him outside today and he did good after I backed him up a few steps..Everytime he moved I backed him up and then he caught on to what I wanted him to do.

He has a great temper.he never kicks,bites,charges..Anything mean to me..He is good he is just a showoff.lol

Oh well that is good then.. he must just be excited to get out, but you dont want him to start learning bad habits so sounds like you are on the right path there.....
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back