Show names and History of them.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
Ive seen so many weird and pretty names for the shows horses on here an I was wondering how folks come up with the show names they do?

I do realize some try to put the Sire and or Dams name but what is the purpose of this?

Ive also heard the name Buckaroo alot.

Could someone explain all this for me please?

Does it mean they have won alot of shows and so they are wanted for breeding etc?

I think for the most part, people just come up with registered names that they like. I am one who likes to use part of the sire's name and sometimes part of the dam's name. In part, I like the added challange of finding a name I like that can also pay tribute to one or both parents
default_yes.gif

Buckeroo is a very famous sire who is know to be prepotent for his type on through his get, grandget, even great grandget. He is "behind" a good number of our horses, and many others here, too. You can research him -- Boones Little Buckeroo
default_wub.png

The farm name and a portion of the sire/dam name used is to promote both the farm and the horse lines. If their animals have been exemplary in conformation, showring, prepotent, etc., they want the name to help identify the get.

Sometimes it helps us to develop names for future foals. Then often from a list, we hope for the perfect foal to fit it!
default_wacko.png

Show names and registered names are one and the same for AMHA and AMHR horses. It's not uncommon for a horse's name to herald back to a famous relative. IE, Sierra Dawn Uno's Monarch is a son of Sierra Dawn Uno De Mayo. Names can often be really good decoder rings. ;)

How cool, I was pretty sure that was most of the reasons.

Can you change the name and the name on the reg after you buy a horse?

With AMHA it's very difficult to change the name of the horse. Name has to be offensive/infringe on a trademark, that kind of stuff. I don't know anyone who actually has ever succeeded with having it done, even with a horse that has a really sketchy name. I'm not quite sure what AMHA's threshold of "offensive" is considering some of the names on the old Lazy N horses
default_wacko.png
I wonder if it would take something like a court order!

AMHR I'm not 100% sure, I think once the horse has shown and earned a point you can't change their name? There's probably something else there I'm missing.

At shows where you don't need to present papers, it doesn't matter what you show the horse under. But at recognized shows you have to present the papers, and they go by the names on the papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for answering, Ive often wondered.

AMHR You have to have written permission from breeder and the horse cant have any registered offspring. Plus you have to pay a big fee. It was 100 dollars i think.

I have a list of about 200 names for babies. 9 times out of 10 i wont even use a name on the list lol. Some of my names have sire or dams name in them some have some sort of combination. Then i have names that are based on themes. Like colors, markings, that kind of thing. Most of the time when the baby is born a name will come to me.

I had a name picked out for a filly. Her mom's name is herkos white dove. Who is a pinto. Filly's sire is also a pinto so i was expecting a pinto. Ha! Got a solid bay. Well anyhow Her name was going to be Skylight's Mourning or (morning) dove. Well when she didnt have spots i was disappointed but then thought I should be thank full that i have a perfect filly and then I noticed that her star looked like the side of a morning glory flower. So she became Skylight's Morning Glory. Same dam different sire. Hoping for a pinto again. Had the name Running Bear picked out for a boy. No spots again. But he was chestnut with 2 blue eyes and a wide blaze so he was red white and blue so he became skylight's Rebel yell. He was a little Rebel too.

One colt was born a charcole grey color he became Charro. Ended up being black. My One of my grullo fillies is named skylight's dun rose wild. Her sire was checkmates dune e boy. I had a mare named Rosalita and a filly named Rosa so had too many roses so this fillies barn name became Grace. So i have Glory and Grace. :p

I've given barn names to every mare i've bought except one. That one is Tara. White dove became Lady, Easter Sunrise became Bree... Etc so yeah you can change their names. Horses usually learn to come to their new name pretty quickly.

Changing barn names in minis is very common but it is pretty uncommon and more often than not impossible to change a miniature's registered name.

With AMHR, you can only change a registered name if all four of these conditions are met: 1. you have written permission from the breeder, 2. the horse has no registry show record, 3. the horse has no registered offspring, and 4. you pay a $100 fee.

In minis, the first part or the prefix is like the brand name (Whinny For Me is mine). Currently, I'm liking to use "Echos of" in the names of Destiny's foals, and "Dun" in the names of DunIT's foals. Both boys are very special to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back