Shiba Inu

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know anything about the dog breed Shiba Inu? I saw one and have fallen love but want to talk to someone that has one. Thwe one I saw was at a pet store. (yech!) Someone recently stole my JRT and I miss her so much.
default_sad.png
I promised my husband I wouldn't get another Jack but would like a nice smaller dog. Any ideas? I usually go to the pound and probably will again but thought I would ask.

Donna

Does anyone out there know anything about the dog breed Shiba Inu? I saw one and have fallen love but want to talk to someone that has one. Thwe one I saw was at a pet store. (yech!) Someone recently stole my JRT and I miss her so much.
default_sad.png
I promised my husband I wouldn't get another Jack but would like a nice smaller dog. Any ideas? I usually go to the pound and probably will again but thought I would ask.

Donna
I looked into shiba's as a smaller breed. They are very active, often hyper (straight from 2 breeders at a show) they have the typical oriental breed standoffishness/aloofness to strangers. They are gorgeous but need alot of activity and I have been told they can be quite the escape artists.

Check the AKC website for clubs in your area, the clubs have members who will gladly answer all your questions and help you decide if this is a good breed match. If you enjoyed a jack I would assume the energy level would be a fit for you.

good luck and if you can't find anyone holler and I can inquire on a couple of the show boards I am on.

Shiba Inu means little dog- Akita Inu being the largest of the three in the same way as Pomeranian, Spitz Klein and Spitz Mittel are three sizes of the same breed (basic breed)

They are calmer than the Japanese Spitz, and the Finnish Spitz- two other Spitz breeds of which I have personal experience- and seem to be very nice, all round dogs for someone with plenty of time on their hands.

Like all Spitz breeds they can be demanding and noisy if left unattended- the one I rehomed to a friend was never left alone- she was happy to stay in the car and did not go crazy there, but she was not happy to be left in the house!!

I would say a nice breed- not sure how they are with small children, but I would say OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only met one, and he was just as hyper and active as the Jack Russell I used to have. heh. He barked more then the JRT, though. I wouldn't judge a whole breed on one dog that I met, but that is the only experience I have with them. he was beautiful but more of a handful then I would want.

A great way to learn about a breed both good adn bad is to go to breed specific rescue sites. Because rescues WANT you to know exactly what you are getting they tend to be very honest about teh problems with any breed.

The only one I met was a beautiful little dog at a club I used to be a member of for about a year. Very nice little dog. In speaking to it's owner, this particular little Inu was very attached to her and somewhat skiddish and snappy with children. Come to think of it, that's the only one I've seen around these parts...they're not very common around here.

I owned a Shiba Inu, and even though I LOVE the breed I wouldn't recommend them!

They are absolutely gorgeous dogs, everyone who sees them says that they are cute and look like foxes and asks what kind of dog they are.

However, they are VERY difficult dogs to live with.

They are the "CAT" of the dog world... but they have all of the cat's worst faults.

Shibas are very clean and very smart. But they are also very independent. They generally are one-person dogs and even that... you have to "ASK" your Shiba to do something, they are not naturally obedient and willing-to-please like most dogs are!

My Shiba was very aloof and she was always suspicious of commands. "COME"? Why? Am I going to get a treat? Go for a walk? Or is it to get a bath or go to the vet? I had to negotiate and "trick" her into obeying me sometimes.

They also hate water.

If you don't like dogs that shed (Jack Russells have very short, tight coats) the Shiba may not be for you either. They have a coat that feels like a German Shepherd... and a dense wooly undercoat that they shed once a year... you will have grey wooly hair everywhere and I strongly suggest getting one of those shedding blades that rip the undercoat out. They shed a LOT for such a small dog.

They are very playful and active, but are not off-leash dogs. My Shiba was fairly well-trained but sometimes would sneak out the front door and then refuse to be caught. She would run around the neighborhood while I called her... knowing that if she came, her free playtime outside would end. Smart dog.

If you decide to get a Shiba, I HIGHLY suggest getting it from a reputable breeder (which, considering the breed is a little rare, will be difficult) and being able to spend some time with the dogs. They really are not for everyone.

If you are a cat person and have a LOT of patience and don't need a dog that is loveable and easy to train, then you will love the Shiba!

Andrea

Edited to add: Please do not get one from a pet store. This is exactly why my own Shiba was ill-fated. I purchased her from a pet store simply because it was "cheaper and easier to get than a good breeder." I ended up having to euthanize her at the young age of four years. She had genetic, severe allergies that got worse as she aged. She was so miserable (constant drugs and medicated baths (which she HATED... water!) that increased each summer) that the kindest thing I could do was to put her to sleep. Yes, a breeder is most likely NOT going to be local, and you will have to ship your dog. Yes, a breeder may charge more than a pet store and you will have to pay shipping. But you will get a dog that is better socialized and healthier than a pet store. My second dog that I bought (have had lots of dogs from local shelters, which I would recommend first and foremost!) was from a breeder, I paid a thousand dollars for a pet-quality puppy... it was a mini aussie. But he is the best dog EVER. Beautiful, smart, and very healthy. Wasn't show quality only because he had "conformationally weak thighs". Doesn't affect him one bit and he's more than perfect as a family member!!!

I learned my lesson and just wanted to share.

Here is the "devil dog"... "FOXGLOVE" in her short summer coat... not the fluffy winter coat.

superpuppy2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are a VERY experienced dog person...and have no little kids...stay away!!

I'm sure there must be exceptions, but they are nasty tempered little dogs in general.

And VERY tough. My friend had two of them, they would bite her without hesitation

and they could take down her Siberian Huskies in a heartbeat. When they first "arrived

on the scene" so to say, many Sibe people were very interested due to their looks and

wanted to jump on the bandwagon..but 90% of them got out after they had lived with them.

They were also very expensive...don't know about that end of it anymore.

I thought hard about them at one time, but got myself around enough of them that

I thought better of it.

Too bad, they sure are a cute breed.

Shelley

p.s. and please...whatever breed you decide on...please don't buy it from a pet store...

Thank you all for the input. I believe I need to keep looking. I am going to go to the pound tomarrow and see if they have something that fits me. They really are adorable but I am not up to that much work and hassle,
default_wacko.png
: not to mention my husband would kill me. Thanks!!! Donna :saludando:

Latest posts

Back