Separating "bonded" horses: your input requested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
A little more than 2 years ago, I "re-homed" two of my miniatures to a neighbor. The neighbor had lifelong horse experience and I knew it would be a good place for them. The neighbor is just a mile down my road so I was able to see them quite often.

The neighbor contacted me in September to let me know that they would like to find a new home for them now that their daughter has gone off to college. They want the freedom to come and go. She said it was not a something that had to happen right away and she was very intent on finding the right home. When I gave her the horses, I told her I would help her in any way possible, including taking them back.

I've put out feelers and I'm finding that finding them both a home at the same place is proving quite challenging. Right now, I've found a potential really good fit for one of the horses.

Yet, these two have been together since birth in 2009. My limited experience with horses has me concerned about separating them, but at the same time, I'm wondering if I'm not putting human feelings into the mix.

Have you separated horse who have lived together this long? If it meant finding them great homes, would you put the issue of separating them to rest?

And if you would not, please let me know that too.

I'm also considering taking the one back until I can find her a new home if the other one is re-homed to the possible candidate that we're in initial contact with right now. I can more easily manage one more vs. two more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Separating bonded horses is much like weaning, they will carry on and be upset, but most will move past it. If you have found a good fit for one and can take the other back to your home, it sounds like a pretty good deal and while upset for awhile, they will likely get through it and be just fine in the long run.

I would agree with Chanda, but I would add that since they have been together and have always had a "buddy" I would hope that any new home would provide a "new buddy" since as herd animals, having a buddy is important. It might be a stressor on the one you rehome, if the new home didn't have another horse to make the change easier.

Thanks ladies. Your input helps!

Diane: Even if they are separated, they will not be going anywhere where they would be alone. I'll bring them both back here before I let that happen if I can help it.

I used to be hardline - it's like weaning and they'll get over it.

Now - not so much. It really depends on the horses involved and their personalities. I have had 4 that lost a ton of weight very fast and became ill (colic &/or other issues) and even when rematched with their buddies, took FOREVER & LOTS of $$ to get the weight back on and health back where it should be.

Even here at my own place - the 2 full sisters are hard to separate in pasture (I don't drive them together anymore - they both have different driving partners) as they both get upset and will lose weight from fretting &/or stop eating. Won't be long, and I think I will need to put a bell on "Bell" as her full sister "Bit" has lost all eyesight in her left eye now and fibroids have started in the right eye. Thinking we have maybe 2 years of sight in that eye? Bit is currently 23 1/2 and Bell is 22 1/2 years old. Here are 2 pics of them taken in full winter hair, out of shape, but driving at a recent event. Bell w/ her 2010 daughter, GG. Bell and GG are in different pastures at the moment, but have lived together off and on since weaning.

14oct25church441.jpg

and Bit w/ Koalah. Bit and Koalah get very different amounts of feed right now and can't be fed together loose as Koalah is the dominant horse and will chase off Bit & Bit now takes forever to eat
default_smile.png

14oct25church397.jpg

We purchased Bell, Bit & Koalah from 3 different states but got them all three to IA for pickup in September 2009. They are all 3 usually on the same pasture, right now Bell and Bit are in our round pen getting free choice hay and the only ones currently being fed 2x daily (& quite a bit of feed).

Just be cautious and keep that in mind. AND if the separated horse starts refusing to eat while in new home (or the one coming back to you does) don't wait too long to get them back together or make other arrangements.

Otherwise, I commend you in helping "your" horses to be re-homed!! That's so awesome. I've always sold our ponies w/ the understanding that I would either take them back if I could or help if they needed to be resold/find new homes. The last ones I've sold don't seem to work that way - but the earliest ones - I still get an occasional call to see if I'm interested or if I can help. It's really satisfying to do either!

Hi Paula, thanks for your insights as well.

As it turns out, this "potential good fit" was anything but so neither horse is going anywhere with him/her. I will continue my efforts to find them another local home where they can be together. The reasons I gave them to the neighbor in the first place still exist (these two did not bond well with the rest of my herd nor me, I was injured by both in more than one occasion including a wrist injury that I'm still occasionally having trouble with "acting up"), but they will come back here if that's what it comes down to. If I could at least wait until next spring to do it, that would help. I should be able to buy a third run-in shed then which would give me more ability to separate as necessary yet still provide shelter for everyone.

So sorry it didn't work out for you, but so glad that you found out early and decided to keep them safe with you. We'll hope for a good fit in the spring for everyone!

I agree, they get over it. They get over it even quicker when they can't hear the other one whinnying to each other.

Latest posts

Back