Satellite vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
This morning, no local channels. I figured that perhaps there was a cloud overhead or something. This afternoon after school...no local channels. I called my Mom, right across the pasture, and she has hers. OK...perhaps there is a cloud just over my house. I looked out and no cloud just over my house.

So I called the tech support number and did the electronic voice thing until I thought I'd lose my mind, pushed all the appropriate buttons, followed all the instructions, and got PUT ON HOLD by an automated voice to allow me some time to follow the instructions that I had JUST FOLLOWED. Then this syrupy voice comes back and tells me to "push one" to get it's attention. I "pushed one", alright and finally it tells me that apparently my problem requires a technical service representative (DUH, why'd I call to start with?) and I am put on hold again. Estimated hold time five minutes, actual hold time ten. Trying to get supper on the table and I had other things that are far more important than listening to canned music to attend to.

Finally, the "real person" gets on the phone. I had to go BACK through all the steps that I had just gone through with the automaton again, and that didn't work (SURPRISE!) so he suggested that I unplug the receiver for fifteen seconds and plug it back in. I had to get behind the tv, no small feat, to do it and I guess I unplugged something I wasn't supposed to, because nothing worked then. Finally the tech guy gave me some instructions to follow should I ever figure out how to get the stupid wires back the way they are supposed to go.

As of now I have the satellite run right to the back of the TV and it works OK, but still no local channels, but I think I messed up the cord that made the DVD player show up on the tv or something, because it won't work. If Kayla takes a notion to watch a movie I'm in a pickle.

Thanks for reading this long rant. I am sitting here covered in behind-the-tv dust, all agitated, with what I fear is a permanent wrinkle between my brows.

Stacye

I would think that if your satellite works with the exception of local channels, then the prob is on their end not yours. If was a reset thing, then you would be out far more channels. These companies are NEVER responsible for the problems we have anymore. Its always 'on our end'. grrrrrrr

I would think that if your satellite works with the exception of local channels, then the prob is on their end not yours. If was a reset thing, then you would be out far more channels. These companies are NEVER responsible for the problems we have anymore. Its always 'on our end'. grrrrrrr

I agree. Either you would have satellite or you wouldn't.

MA

OH yea?

Well if you think you had a hard day my satellite went out right when Jon Bon Jovi ripped his shirt off!
default_crybaby.gif
:

Talk about suffering............
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

We have Dish TV and this has been happening almost daily lately! And only on local channels! I make sure I have some stuff Tivo'd (recorded on the DVR) that came free with the service when we signed up, so I can watch that if necessary if kids around..otherwise you can still watch all ofther channels.

This has happened to my computer sattelite service also which really PO's me and now if that;s not bad enough, I get notice that Direcway has turned my email over to Hughes.net and there's NO choice! I hate that service, rotten set up so use my hotmail a lot now.

Geez, all this and we pay more?!! What's that about! AND tech support is in India where you can never understand what they are saying anyway..oh well, life goes on
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Maxine

MiniV I had Primestar which then sold to Directtv, they swore that my service wouldnt go up, it did by well over half! Also the service is poor, and when we have any rain from the south, I loose reception ( wasnt nearly as bad with Primestar)

Tech support in India
default_wacko.png
: doesnt that just cheese you off!!???!!!!

I too would think since it's only local chanels it's on their end. We have directv and have no problems, but I know exactly what you are talking about when you are trying to get customer service...very frustrating. We don't have problems with ours when it's cloudy (cloudy - almost all the time), but we would have problems in the winter with snow/ice build up on the dish. I would love to have cable (so I could get fast internet), but impossible out here. Directv has interenet, but we have to many trees for the internet part.

I still have no locals, so I guess I'll have to call them back today. I did get the tv and all hooked back up though, so now the DVD player and the reciever are all in working order. That was the most important thing...

How do you handle the long expanses of phone silence when you are waiting on the signal to acquire and stuff? The last tech and I had a very nice conversation! I know that his name is Kyle and that he is in Ohio, and the weather was pretty that day, and that he likes horses. He knows that I have minis, and what I sound like pulling the tv out from the entertainment center, and how long my patience will hold out.

Wish me luck. Maybe this will be fixed later today.

Stacye

Dont know if this will help. On the front of mine is a little door, behind is the access card and a red button, that button will reset everything and is SO much easier than unplugging stuff.

I called Dish Customer Service again yesterday afternoon while Kayla was napping. This time it only took twenty eight minutes to find out that I need a service call, which is scheduled for next Saturday afternoon, sometime between 12:00 and 5:00. SO, no local channels until at least then. At least I have the others, it could be out altogether and then I'd be in a mess, wouldn't I?

Stacye

Sounds like something messed up in the guide. Try this go up to channel 7700 Your local are ALSO on those numbers so whatever yours are say channel 45 go to channel 7745 SEE is they SHOW up on those channels IF They do your Guide has to be redone .

and there are instructions on how to do that After you go into Click on MENU on your remote Then go to system setup Then installation and then to Local channels it is there that it takes you through the steps.

BUT Fist check out the Local channels like I say UP on the Channel 7700's~! To see if you can SEE Them there~!

OH BTW I have Dish also and I bet there a very few people that Know the locals are up in that 7700 channels area and also work with using 77 then putting in the local channel number :new_shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that yesterday...I really wanted to watch the Nextel Cup race so I was checking everything I could. Nope, not there either. Thanks for the advice, though. Any more ideas?
Have you checked the signal strength? Do you have Dish 500 dish or what is called The Super Dish dish. IF Superdish the Satellite aiming might be off on that 3 rd sat. You can check all of this in the menu side and aiming and checking signal strength..IF signal strength is fine. Then thew only other thing I can think of is somebody has shut off your local channels by mistake. AS long as THOSE Are the ONLY channels you are not getting that sure sounds like they have gotten shut off~! That happened a few years back I lost my Subscription channels I had 100 101 and that was it, I called and they sent a Signal what they a "Bump" through the satellite and Bingo I had all my channels again. Something like this has happened

So you have to call dish to see if something like this has happened to you.

Latest posts

Back