Sassafrass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give her time to grieve her baby. She'll come around. Make sure she's not in any physical discomfort. Banamine can be given - 1cc per 100 pounds -- if you think she is physically experiencing pain.

Sometimes just letting them sniff baby and give them time to say goodbye is necessary. I always leave the little ones with their moms until mom walks away. She'll come to understand.

I'm so VERY SORRY for your loss. It's very hard losing these special little ones. Keep us posted on momma!

Thanks for all of yall's help. Sassy doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Thank goodness. I took the baby out of the sack and let her see her and sniff her. This whole situation has just broke my heart. I named her Derby and we buried her under a tree by the pasture.

You are so welcome, and I wish you had a better outcome. I'm so glad that Sassy isn't in any discomfort, and you did the right thing to let her see and sniff the baby. It certainly will make things easier for her. You've done very good, and we're so sorry for your loss. We have all experienced it, so you are among friends here, who wish you better times in the future.

Last edited:
Sorry that I haven't posted before, but even more sorry to read of the sad outcome of this pregnancy for you and your sweet little girl. Hopeful she will soon be feeling better and you can all enjoy your future life together. Good luck!

The vet says she'll be fine. Just to watch her closely for depression. She seems her normal self this morning

So sorry to read this Hope you are all doing ok
default_smile.png

So, this morning she started having cow patty like stools and started producing milk. The vet said everything was fine yesterday and no intervention was needed, but now I'm worried. Will this pass or should I have the vet out again?

I would say that her hormones are trying to regulate themselves after the loss. She should "balance out" in a few days. Just keep watching her, but I expect it's just her system getting back to normal. She may come in a "foal heat" within the next 2 weeks or so, or even a bit earlier. If the vet said everything was fine, then if you decide to rebreed her for next year, she should do fine.

But, at this point, I wouldn't worry, unless you see more acute signs of discomfort or pain.

You are a REALLY good momma for keeping such a close watch on her!
default_thumbup.gif

Ok I'm going to post some thoughts here - totally way out, but going to say them anyway! Something doesn't add up in my opinion. Yes her horemones are all out of whack which could explain her present condition (in your last post), but there are things to consider. You said that the lost filly was "6"? Was this correct or a posting error? This is not the size of a full term foal so Sassy must have aborted an early 'baby'. You also seemed pretty sure that you had seen foal movement - not possible with a "6" 'baby'. Also - and I may need correcting here, I dont think mares develop udders when having an early abortion?

Is it at all possible (very very rare!!) that Sassy was/is carrying twins???!!! Many years ago I rescued a full sized mare in not very good condition, she duly bagged up to foal but then produced a tiny baby - fully developed but only around 12" in size. The foal was dead and we put the size down to the fact that the mare was so poor. Two days later the mare produced a full size colt foal with no warning, sadly also dead but possibly we could have saved him had the vet who examined the mare after the first foal was born realised that there was another baby hidden in there and got him out!

Now I'm 99% sure that twins just dont happen in mini horses, but just remembering my big mare made the thought come into my mind. Really hoping that all is well with Sassy today and any thought of twins has been blown out of the window!!

Yes, the baby was between 6 and 8 inches. I'm now questioning whether or not I was actually feeling/seeing the baby or just excitedly imagined it. I know for sure I didn't feel that tiny baby. This morning she is up and about. Still having loose stools :/. If it continues through out the day I'm going to call the vet just to make sure she's not getting sick.

One last question. How long should it take for her hormones to even back out? It's been 2 weeks and she is still making golden sticky colostrum. Otherwise she's she seems to be doing great.

Sometimes it's larger than others, today she didn't look very swollen, but she was still dripping. I'll grab a pic tomorrow

Latest posts

Back