Sad day, lost a foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
One of my mares, that was suppose to be due March/April, was acting funny this morning while I was feeding, she wouldn't come out of the barn so I knew something was wrong.........

She had miscarried a filly, no hair yet, so sad...Everything looked normal, no twisting of the cord or anything....Makes me wonder why.
no.gif

So sorry to hear that. If you can keep the foal cool but not frozen you could have your vet or state lab examine it to try to determine why. The lab can do test for herpes and lepto. These are things that can be prevented in the future if you find out your herd has a problem with it. Lepto can be carried by deer.

If you have other mares bred or will be rebreeding the mare its worth it to do the tests.

Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason, but I would have your mare flushed and infused if she were mine. It could have been caused by a low grade infection. Also a round of systemic antibiotics such as SMZ's might be a good idea. Certainly talk to your vet about it. You might also want to consider putting your mare on Regumate or weekly progesterone shots. I have one of my mares on weekly progesterone shots to help her maintain pregnancy.

Ah yes, Libby mentioned something else that is a good idea. Have your vet pull blood on your mare and run an abortion panel. They will test for Rhino, Lepto and one more thing I can't think of
wacko.gif
. I did this a few years ago when one of my mares aborted late term. Found out her titers were off the charts for Lepto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you lost your baby. Hopefully at this stage, the mare isn't mourning for her foal, that's always so heartbreaking. I hope your little mare is ok and goes on to have some nice babies for you.

Sorry for your loss always a sad thing to have happen.

Well I know she knows it is not alive, it was already cold when I found it and she had stayed with it... I took it out, to bury it, but haven't yet. she keeps going in the barn standing where I found it, not sure if I should put her somewhere else or just let her grieve in her own way.

I thought about putting her by herself in a smaller area with it, until she decides to leave it, but I don't want the dogs to get ahold of it.

She has had healthy foals before, she is an older mare.

Just so unexpected... I took pics of it, and compared it to the foals on the foal development page. It was very similiar to the 7 month in utero foal.

She is eating, but I am keeping a very close eye on her.

I am so sorry.

It is always so heartbreaking to lose these precious little babies!

Hugs to you and your little mare.

I'm so sorry you lost the filly
sad.gif
I know how heartbreaking that is. Give your mare a hug.

I agree with what Becky said.

no.gif
I'm no sorry for your mare's loss and yours, I know what it's like to lose a foal, my condolences go to both you and your mare.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for the loss of your filly. These next couple of months are the hardest on people . Late term losses seem to be huge numbers on the board till about march when the live babies take over and surge ahead. I know that doesnt make it easier for you but it is the sad fact. Hope you mare is not so sad today.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back