Rubbing tail raw any idea?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to second Nootka on the possibility of allergies. I had a big horse Appy that used to rub her tail raw at a certain time each year, and she eventually started rubbing her mane too. I bought some Histacalm shampoo from my vet and I gave her weekly baths with it during the time that she was itchy and it stopped the itching and rubbing. Once I realized the pattern, I got proactive and would start the baths before I saw her begin to rub. After a couple of years, she quit doing it.

I would think it must be lice if he is now starting on his forelock too? Really soak his mane and tail with a pyrethins based spray. I would also spray his entire body. Then repeat in 2 weeks.

His forlock is starting where it was raw from ticks. I did buy some lice powder but am going to do that tommorow as I put the spot stuff on him and wanted that to soak in before mixing any more stuff. I did deworm him again, and put some under his tail like Erica suggested. He also got covered with a replent for flies, ticks and lice, but also works as a mosturizer.

He seemed much more content from the bugs(flys, nats and misqetos are horrid here). He stinks so bad that if I were a bug I wouldnt want to go near him.

I figured I would go out tommorow and see how he is doing. See if he rubed more, which considering its all yellow where I sprayed I can tell. And lice powder him then. He only has like a inch of hair thou, and I have never had one get lice in the summer. But at this point I will try anything. NObody else with him is haveing any problems just him.

i don't have alot to add but did want to say that if he is out in the sun then you probably don't want to use baby oil as it can cause the bare skin to burn. What about somehting like penatin or zincofax like you use on baby bums? If nothing else it would sooth and protect from sun. I hope you get it figured out.

Latest posts

Back