Rough, traumic birth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
Monday my maiden mare finally went into labor. she was 345 days. I knew her vulva was small but expected it to elongate. It did not so there was a 3 inch opening for the foal to come through. Imagine trying to pull a basketball through a key hole. The mare gave up after a few pushed and just laid there. Fortunately I had a friend with me and we pulled. To make a long story short we got him out but he was really stuck in the head across his eyes. I have never seen anything so tight. When he finally got out I gave him CPR and he responded and was ready tot get up. I had to milk the mare and bottle feed him for an hour or so. Finally the banamine worked and the mare got up and he nursed. I noticed him bumping into things. The next morning I took them to the vet and he said the colt is blind and it may or may not improve. I am not surprised with the pressure that was on the eyes. What I concerned about now is that he travels in circles around his mother continuously. He has learned his stall and is not bumping into things now but I am beginning to think he might have brain damage. Has anyone else seen this behavior? He eats, poops, whinnies, and all the other things he should be doing. He is such a nice colt I an praying for him!

I will add picture when I figure that part out.

Are his eyes really read from the foaling?

Oh Donna, Im sorry to hear about your little colt. I hope Mom is feeling a little better now too. How very very scarey for all. I just asked about a little blind mare on another post so Im waiting to read what others think and will be watching this post too. Oh course perfectly healthy would be what we want but I would imagine if your little one was only blind, with no brain, issues he could still have a wonderful happy life. Prayers being sent your way

Heidi

I am going to try and add a picture.

IMG_0864.jpg

I wouldn't give up on the colt yet. I had a filly that was born several years ago where the same thing basically happened. I thought to myself - what am I going to do with this poor little blind filly. She could not see for at least 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer. Her eyes were blood red at first and then got dark. Long story short, her eyes recovered and she had no damage to her eyes whatsoever. Just be patient.

My guess is that there was a lapse on oxygen during the birth.

I am curious if your vet gave him anything to reduce swelling on the brain?

I'm so sorry this happened. What a lovely mare and baby.
wub.gif

I'm with Karin on this. I too had a filly born blind - I wasn't present at the birth because we were at the hospital with another foal that was in danger, but I assume, as did the vet, that it was a tight squeeze and therefore there was a lot of pressure on the head/brain. Her eyes were rimmed in red. She bumped into things and stumbled, etc. And as she grew, her eyesight improved. But even during her yearling year she was sensitive to sunlight and would squint her eyes in the bright sun. But now she is mature (and a mommy herself) and her eyesight is 100%. We don't know for sure with your baby but I would be patient and give him time. He may totally or partially recover. I sure hope so.

My best to you.

Congratulations.... on your new foal. I'm so sorry that it was under EXTREME circumstances and I hope that he'll soon gain his vision.

He's a nice baby...

Are his eyes really read from the foaling?
What everyone else is saying is true. A lot of times in a tight birth their eyes will get real red but when cleared up their vision will return. One thing you do need to watch for, I have noticed when we had two tight births that both got the eyelashes that would turn around in to the eye and make it worse. There is a antibiotic creme you can get from your vet that helps with this.

What a pretty momma and colt. We just had a filly that we had to manipulate and pull out of our 32" maiden mare. The front of her head was swollen and she too had some issues with sight. Within a couple of days the swelling decreased and she is fine now. I wouldn't give up on him - Crossing my fingers and heart for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your colt is just beautiful. I have had them run circles around mom... and only in one direction, never the other... eventually she was 100% normal

Keep us updated.

One of the reasons why I hate breeding maiden mares. Always worried about the first foal as so often things are tight.

He should improve as days go on. May take a week or two, but I am sure it is the pressure of his head being squeezed.

cute boy!!

Sounds like there might be hope for your foal yet!! I hope he improves, but do give him some time. Blind horses do learn to adapt so I think he will be ok in the stall and give him time to see if he will come around. Sorry he had such a tough delivery with this as the result. Sending prayers for your little guy that he will be ok!!

Will I ever figure out how to use this website??? Yes, his eyes were red where the white is when he was born and are still reddish colored. The vet did not do anything for brain swelling. He just looked at his eyes declared him blind and said he couldn'd say if it was permanent. They saw him circling in the stall and didn't seem concerned. He is 4 days today and he is still circling and still can't see but otherwise is a perfect little guy.[/size][/size]

I have to first say both are gorgeous. What a sharp colt and what a gorgeous mare. Maidens are so scary. You did such a great job. I am just so proud of you for doing all you did.

I have had so many things happen here, but am learning so much from this post. i almost wonder is he a little bit of a dummy foal, as we had one who is awesome now, but boy what a scare. It was like he had it all at birth and 12hrs later the lights just went out. But with Dexamethazone and banamine he improved. He figured it all back out and he is a normal healthy beautiful colt, but he circle and licked the walls and just didn't get it. But he is fine now. And may add only 3 weeks old.

Colts are so reziliant I just hope he has the same luck as mine did. I will pray for him and you. God Bless you. Thankfully he is in the hands of a caring breeder.
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back