Rough and tumble....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrooke Farm

Reaction score
My 3 year old was constantly playing "bumper cars" with his 2 pasture mates. He would run at them, then ram right into them with his shoulder. :no: After too much of doing this he has injured himself to the point that his neck muscles are all tight and he has paralysis in one hind leg. His back is now curved from his compensating. The vet him a shot of cortisone yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Anyone have this type of experience before?

My 3 year old was constantly playing "bumper cars" with his 2 pasture mates. He would run at them, then ram right into them with his shoulder. :no: After too much of doing this he has injured himself to the point that his neck muscles are all tight and he has paralysis in one hind leg. His back is now curved from his compensating. The vet him a shot of cortisone yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Luanne,

I am so sorry to hear of this...no experience with this sort of thing...I hope all works out for yoU!!

*BUMP*

Luanne,

I am so sorry to hear of this...no experience with this sort of thing...I hope all works out for yoU!!

*BUMP*
Thanks Denise! See you soon
default_yes.gif
:

I've never heard of anything like this. My boys play alot chasing eachother fighting on hindlegs but never running into one another :eek: I hope everything works out
default_yes.gif
: ~Jessica

Does anyone think an equine chiropractor could help? Has anyone used one with success?

Any help or response would be appreciated
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks!

I don't have a whole lot to help you with but our mini gelding got injured 1 1/2 years ago. We aren't sure exactly how but possibly slipped and fell on ice. He didn't really move his hips much. Sort of waddled peg legged. Hard to describe. I can't for the life of me remember what our vet gave him. It was an anti-inflammatory with a pain killer. Like a pulled muscle he eventually worked through it. Sorry I can't be more help there. I was thinking that equine massage might help your guy. Have you tried doing warm compresses with gentle massage? Another think I was going to say was you need a different subject to really describe your problem. You might get more response that way. Good luck and I will keep watching to see how your boy is doing.

I have never heard of horses doing that, but I did have a mare this winter get her neck caught in a fence and she had a similar problem - she couldn't move her back end properly, and was dragging a hind foot. What ultimately ended up helping her the most was chiropractic work - it took about 3-4 months from the accident, but she is now good as new. I would definitely recommend that you find an equine chiropractor, but do your research as there are a lot of quacks out there. We use our vet, actually - he is also a chiropractor, and he is very good.

I would say that a chiropractor sure would not hurt! And in the mean time start adding some MSM powder into his grain......keep him away from other horses for now and on soft ground.

Doing some light massage on his neck and spine wouldn't hurt either. He definitely needs some corrective work done or he will permenently damage himself with the compensation. I'm feeling that he may have a pinched nerve, but I'm not a vet or a chiropractor.

MA

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will be phoning an equine chiropractor this morning.

I have done massage on his neck and have also used the MagBoys magnetic balls, hoping it would help. But so far, nothing has seemed to help him. Banamine did nothing for him and neither did the Cortisone shot that the vet gave him. :no:

aww poor thing, my two are always playing,but its more the mare than the stallion thats gets a bit rough sometimes

keep us updated, and goodluck!

[SIZE=12pt]Luanne-[/SIZE]

Sorry to hear about your boy. Tam just told me about him today. I told her maybe an equine chiropractor might be able to help. Good luck to ya!!!

Wish I was going to see you at Shelbyville, but we have decided we need to stay home and try to get this blasted house sold. One of these days we'll be in TN fulltime.

Barbie

[SIZE=12pt]Luanne-[/SIZE]

Sorry to hear about your boy. Tam just told me about him today. I told her maybe an equine chiropractor might be able to help. Good luck to ya!!!

Wish I was going to see you at Shelbyville, but we have decided we need to stay home and try to get this blasted house sold. One of these days we'll be in TN fulltime.

Barbie

Hi Barbie,

Unfortunately this is neurological and a chiropractor can't really help.

Sorry you won't be up for the show. Good luck on getting that house sold!

Luanne

Latest posts

Back