Repairing my Houghton show cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy Breckenridge

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

My show cart had a accident when the snaps on my cover came loose and flayed all the paint off the metal wheel enclosures. I would love to have a chrome cart but the prices has sky rocketed since Houghton has closed so I was wondering if anyone had any idea if you could have the paint stripped off the metal parts and have them chromed? Would a auto repair shop be able to do this?

Thanks

Tammy

Tammy --

I also have a Houghton and love it.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I do think an auto repair or auto custom shope would be a good place to look into for having it done (if it can be).

Jill

Years ago I was going to have some mag wheels for a car chromed The shop that was going to do it was also going to strip the paint. You will need a plating shop or an auto body shop that will send out to one.

Just thinking more, and thinking of my husband's hobby (antique cars), I bet a restoration shop that does antiques or "fancy" alterations would be able to help.

You can look for a shop that does sandblasting. The local street rod folks use this guy...think it is like Dayton Metal Coating or something along that line. I had them sandblast some metal stair railing and repaint it for me in enamel that wouldnt chip...did a great job...figured he'd be good for a cart frame if need that type of work. He also sends them out to chrome. The EPA regulations on chroming has really made prices skyrocket on that due to clean-up/disposal costs on the waste material from it.

You need to understand one thing about chrome...it CHIPS too...and when you chip a chrome frame....you cant touch it up...you have to have it restripped and rechromed $$. They are pretty durable...but rocks and flying snaps that repeatedly bang on the frame when hauling...can mess them up too. I love chrome...but prefer paint...you can fix paint. Both the companies I sold carts for...Superior & Houghton used hardware store black enamel to touch up carts...you can use the touch up kits at WalMart in the auto department if it isnt too bad...small spots. With the price of carts now...figuring out how to keep one nice with everyday wear and tear is 'priceless'

Thanks for all the advice! I found someone who does chrome work (who didnt think I was nuts) and I plan on taking it over there was an estimate. Re painting or Chrome which ever I decide it has to be done before show season starts again.

As for protecting the finish once its done, a good friend of mine uses the foam pipe isulation (the grey stuff that is split down the middle) and uses that to cover all the parts that need protecting.

Thanks

Tammy

Latest posts

Back