Question on what to do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
ok everytime we do something that our mini doesnt like he will rare up and kick with his front feet. He just throws a big fit. He doesnt hit or try to hurt you or anything. It reminds me of my 2 yr old falling on the floor kicking and screaming. How do i break this bad habit? I jurk the lead rope and in load voice i yell NO YOU STOP THAT! He will stop and puts his head to the ground which makes me feel bad for getting onto him. I assume this is just a tantrum but wanted your opinion on it and how to stop this behavior. Has anyone elses mini done this and how did you stop it.

Yes...keep doing what your doing..Yell "NO" also take the lead and back him right up....I do that with my stud every time he rears....I say "No" and back him up...he hates backing so he hasn't reared in awhile....that's just something I do...everyone else has their own ways. But yes, is he gelded?

The best method that I have found for rearing is to "bait" them into the behavior, then when they rear up, grab their front legs and walk/run them backward as fast as you can until they almost tip over. It helps to do this in a fairly open area. I have never had to do this twice with a mini, because they learn pretty quick that keeping their feet on the ground is a good thing. They don't like to be that much "out of control". I have had minis that would rear at anything they didn't like: standing, blanketing, etc. Once I did this with them, the rearing was over with....for good. They have never attempted it since.

However, obviously this only works with minis and not bigger horses where you couldn't reach their front legs. And you have to be careful that you put them down before they go over backwards, because you can't control what happens then. It could be physically damaging to them.

I would also not advocate this if you are a fairly new horseman. Get somebody experienced to do it.

Whatever you do, don't "feel bad for getting in to him". This is aggressive behavior and he is trying to test the limits. If you cave now, he has decided that he is herd boss. He may be "little", but he is still about 300 lbs. of horseflesh. He is not a newborn human baby. I treat my minis just like I treat my big horses. They are not "fragile".

I am new to horses, and this summer I purchased a stallion (crazy, but he has taught me a lot) He would act up by also rearing up, trying to bite, and all around pushing me around. It did take me a little while to relize that it was me not standing my ground and he knew it. I would do the same yell NO (he hates it when I raise my voice) jerk him down and aggressively back him up. After a few times of this he has relized that I am in charge and is a gentleman. Now if I even raise my voice he begins to back up on his own. Yes he will hang his head to and he does pout but he is safer to be around my family. I found that with him (he is a older stallion that is set his ways) Each person that directly handles him must do this, as he does try to control anyone he thinks he can get away with. As with your 2 year old consistency is vital and don't feel guilty you are teaching him to be a respectful part of your family,

Thanks! Im not new to horses just minis. Im going to be honest im scared to hurt him so i am not as aggesive as i am with my big guys. He is a gelding also. My big horses have never acted this way but also doesnt like me to raise my voice at them. Our mini is so funny he will do anything but every now and then make a fuss. Like the other day he didnt want me messing with him and all he wanted was to be in pasture so he did his fit thing and i jurked him down and yelled no. He didnt act up anymore that day and hasnt since. HE has only done this about 3 times and i figure he is seeing how far he can go but i wont let him get away with anything. I know if he gets his way he will keep it up! Thanks again for the help will try that run backwards in round pen.Maybe this will stop for good!

When my guys did that, for three seconds I made them think they were gonna die.... hollered at them, shook the lead and backed them rapidly up. THREE seconds, that's all. Then go back to what you were doing like it never happened.

Doesn't take many times like that before they realize it is NOT a good idea to mess with momma.

Ditto with Field of Dreams.

Make them think the world is coming to an end......and backing is a very good method.

BTW, I don't use the word "no" because it's so similar to "whoa". Instead, try to use, "QUIT".

BTW, I don't use the word "no" because it's so similar to "whoa". Instead, try to use, "QUIT".
Me, too. I tried to use "quit" instead of "no", but sometimes fall into NO, as I use it on the dogs. I've also made growly noises at them, and said "uh, uh" and that works ok too.

I also use quit over no. And I've developed a very good alpha mare scream. Fortunately my boys are really good and they're cake to handle compared to mares I've had over the years. I have a couple mares that try that. One looks like A T-rex she'll rear and wave her legs around but won't strike, she's learned though I can hold onto a lead and the screaming/backing is not pleasant. It's hard not to laugh at her as it's comical, but I don't like hooves off the ground or open mouths headed my way.

I never strike a horse in the head, but you bite me - all bets are off. I like the 3 sec rule, it really needs to be loud, quick and over. It's how they correct each other and they learn who the boss is quickly.

Latest posts

Back