QUESTION ON GRAIN??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
HI OUR LOCAL FEED STORE CARRIES THIS GRAIN THAT THEY MAKE AND IT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME FOR MY MINIS CALLED FULL BLOOM WHEN I ASKED FOR HIGH FAT/ FIBER FOR A MARE I PURCHASED THAT WAS ALREADY ON THE SAME THING IN ANOTHER BRAND. THESE ARE THE INGREDIENTS AS THEY READ:

VEGETABLE PROTEIN MEALS, WHEAT SHORTS,BARLEY,CORN GLUTEN FEED. BEET PULP, LIMESTONE,SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, MANGANOUS OXIDE,SODIUM SELENITE, COLBALT CARBONATE, CALCIUM IODATE, FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, IRON CARBONATE,COPPER SULFATE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLENET.

CRUDE PROTEIN 14%

CRUDE FAT 6%

CRUDE FIBRE 8%

IS THERE ANYTHING HERE THAT YOU WOULD SAY IS NOT GOOD FOR A MINI TO HAVE TO MUCH OF?

I JUST WAS CURIOUS BECAUSE IT IS SOMETHING THEY PRODUCE THERE AND I HAVE IN THE PAST MOSTLY USED A BRAND NAME FEED? ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREAT! :bgrin

CRUDE PROTEIN 14%CRUDE FAT 6%

CRUDE FIBRE 8%
8% fiber is a far cry from a high fiber feed which would indicate fiber in double digits at least. Beet pulp seems to be the only fiber source in the ingredient list, but of course, there's no way to tell how much beet pulp is there.

14% protein is a figure that one regularly sees in feeds meant for broodstock, so is a good starting point. It will supply approx 63.5 grams of protein per pound fed, whereas your pregnant mare will require from 300 to over 500 grams per day during the course of her pregnancy and early lactation. You'll want to supplement this feed with a good quality hay or other protein source.

6% fat is middle ground as far as fat percentages go. There are no "recommended" daily requirements for fat, though a horse in the wild would probably consume 3% or less fat per day. Minis can be sensitive to high fat diets, but I wouldn't consider a feed at 6% to be excessively high in fat. I certainly wouldn't add any fat TO the diet, though, unless it was flax seed.

This food will be high in starch since the first major ingredients are all grain-based. If your mare is overweight to start with, this might pose a problem. If she has ever had a laminitis or founder attack, this could be a BIG problem.

I don't know if they were made available to you, but there is very important nutrition information that is missing here such as % of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, etc.....all the minerals and vitamins. They may have given you a tag with that sort of information which is every bit as important as the % of protein, fat and fiber. If you find that information and you would like to make this feed a part of our ongoing project, please see the sticky note at the top of the forum about contributing your feed info.

In the meantime, I'd look at other feeds that might be available at the store. What other brands do they carry? Do they have a specific mare/foal feed available? Feeds formulated for specific lifestyles are usually a pretty option.

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS FOR SUCH GOOD DETAIL!! :saludando:

Latest posts

Back