Purchasing a miniature

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Wanted to get an idea of which country miniature horse buyers usually look to purchase.

I couldn't figure out the "poll" feature so we could see percentages.

Last edited by a moderator:
We looked in the US. While living in Virginia, we traveled to Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Alabama, North Carolina and South Carolina to pick up purchased horses. We had one transported from Texas.

As a Canadian, my impression is that many Canadians have purchased or will purchase Miniature Horses in the U.S.A. but possibly only a few would shop in the other countries of the world.

I may not be right, but I don't seem to hear of many buyers from other countries shopping in Canada for their stock.

I may not be right, but I don't seem to hear of many buyers from other countries shopping in Canada for their stock.
I think that would be because of the vastly larger number of horses available in the U.S. Not necessarily that U.S. horses are better, but more to choose from and possibly easier to transport. Just a thought.

yes, I am at fault too, buy from the states.

Usually more colour and small being Canada seem to have gone to

the bigger ones, and do not do AMHA REGISTRY, mostly AMHR only with most breeders here.

I only want AMHA / AMHR HORSES.

We have bought from OHIO, Wisconsin, and Michigan and a few from Manitoba.

In response to Reble, it depends on which part of Canada you are in. Here in BC AMHA clearly dominates. There are some R horses and I prefer the taller ones but as for what sells best it would be A first with double registry being a bonus. In answer to the OP question if I were buying I would look close to home first (border crossing is a bit inconvenient) and then in the US. All things being equal I'd rather buy here but the horses that catch my eye are usually in the US and I have imported in the past.

In response to Reble, it depends on which part of Canada you are in. Here in BC AMHA clearly dominates. There are some R horses and I prefer the taller ones but as for what sells best it would be A first with double registry being a bonus. In answer to the OP question if I were buying I would look close to home first (border crossing is a bit inconvenient) and then in the US. All things being equal I'd rather buy here but the horses that catch my eye are usually in the US and I have imported in the past.
Yes, I agree AMHA / AMHR sell better.

I was wondering do you have a website?

Sorry Reble, no website. I had it arranged to have one done and the market took a nose dive so I haven't bred anything in the last 2 yrs. In truth I'm selective on homes and I don't really advertise at all right now lol. Another reason not to breed or I'd be the one my horses needed protection from. I have a filly who is too small for me, she'll be lucky to make 28" but I worry about what will become of her if I sell her. Which is all sooo off topic lol Sorry Genie to have hijacked your thread.

We look first in Canada usually western Canada then to the south. Have purchased from the World Sale, so depends on what catches our eye. And of the thought "Do I really need another one"
default_yes.gif

I agree it depends on what part of Canada you are looking in. Here in Alberta AMHA horses dominate, with some being double registered. We have only had one AMHR show, and that only started three years ago. I am happy to say that next year there will be two AMHR shows.
default_aktion033.gif

All but one of our minis were purchased in Canada. Our ponies, on the other hand, have all come from the US, from MN SD and TX

As far as other countries purchasing in Canada--at least 3 breeders in this province have exported horses to Europe in past years and plenty have gone from Canada to the US in the past.

I do think that it was easier to sell Canadian horses to US buyers in the days when our Canadian dollar was lower--then it was a good deal to shop in Canada. Now that our dollar is closer to par, there is no financial advantage to horse shopping in Canada.

I don't buy and sell much but all my shopping is either in the US or Canada. These two Countries are so close together that it is not uncommon for shopping to go both ways to find the perfect horse.

I bought my two best show horses from Ontario Canada, as well as a mare and our older pet minis many years ago. I have also bought 3 minis from the US, as they carried either special traits or bloodlines that I liked. I was lucky enough to have bought a beautiful LTD mare. It was like a "label" brand of shoes, in horse version and I love my mare! I have only bought two with the controversial shetland bloodlines; and I ended up selling the one as a child therapy horse.

In the future, I will continue to buy from either Canada or the US. Why? Because I can get anything I want, in my price range with lower shipping costs. I do think the prices are a little lower in the US right now, which is making them more popular. I know I seen two very comparable horses, with the same bloodlines, ages, gender, height and markings. The Canadian horse was more then twice the price. I don't think that the market is as bad in Canada, making the US prices more tempting.

All the horses I have sold have stayed in Ontario.
default_smile.png

Neat post.

We have bought both in Canada & the U.S.

When we started in the miniatures there were not a "lot" of miniatures here & for the bloodlines we chose to start our breeding program we had to go to the States.

We purchased weanlings to start to get the quality & the bloodlines we wanted. It takes 3 to 4 years to have them ready to breed -- then it takes 3 to 4 years to get those offspring ready to breed -- or to wait until you get fillies -- then you need to outcross the off spring -- so we chose our alternate horses to compliment what we had already started.

Our first stallion(29") is 11 this year -- he has 4 daughters ready to breed this year so we purchased another small 29" stallion -- very refined to breed to his daughters. To get what we wanted we had to go to the States as the breeding here is not old enough and concentrated enough yet to be able to purchase what you want to continue your breeding plan. We are very happy with our program so far & am really looking forward to the new babies next year -- it take a very long time to establish a real breeding program with selected mares & stallions of certain bloodlines.

We also now have a gorgeous 2 year old stallion of our own breeding which we have bred a couple of mares to for next year so am really excited about that as well.

We geld hard -- if we don't want to keep it for a stallion it gets gelded. We have kept a few over the years & have sold them to others for their programs, and all seem very happy with them.

We also have some double registerd ASPC/AMHR horses & have started a breeding program for them as well.

SO , in my opinion it is not just price that takes us to the States, but the ability to find exactly what we want fromlong tested & true lines to build or compliment a herd with.

Just my opinion -- but I think you will find a lot of farms started the same way.

I know from the people we met at the Little King sale that a lot of people put a lot of thought & effort (as well as money ) into their breeding and outcrossing programs.

There are a LOT of great horses up here in Canada now-- and in a few years some folks will have been at it long enough to know what their stock will give them, but as yet there is just not a real long history of saying this breeding will give you this or that .

Take a look at Little King, Flying W Farm, Buckeye Walnut Creek for an example -- there are many more as well -- those farms have taken a particular stallion & crossed to a particular line or several lines and have proven themselves many,many times in both the show ring and the sales arena, as there is always a BIG demand for those horses.

I hope i have explained my thoughts for a clear understanding. I really don't think money or price is the only reason -- but I also don't think a person can accomplish a great breeding program without a plan -- or just by buying a pretty or inexpensive horse from here, there or just anywhere. Although some great buys and great bloodlines do sometimes show up that way. I know we got an Egyptian King daughter at a sale. Got a magnificent filly with her & our Buckeroo stallion.

Anyway, this was a fascinating topic -- just my take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
we ahve bought both in Canada & the U.S.

When we started in the miniatures there were not a "lot" pf miniatures ehre & for the bloodlines we chose to start our breeding program we had to got o the States.

We purchased weanlings to start to get the quality & the bloodlines we wanted. It takes 3 to 4 eyars to have them ready to breed -- then it takes 3 to 4 years to get those offspring ready to breed -- then you need to outcross the off spring -- so we chose our alternate horses to compliment what we had already started.

Our first stallion)29") is 11 this year -- he has 4 daughters ready to breed this year so we purchased another small 29" stallion -- very refined to breed to his daughters. To get what we wanted we had to go to the States as the breeding here is not old enough and concentrated enough yet ot be bale to purchase what you want to continue your breeding plan. We are very happy with our program so far & am really loooking forward to the new babies next year -- it take a very long time to establish a real breeding program with selected mares & stallions of certain bloodlines.

We also now have agorgeous 2 year old stallion of our won hwich we have bred a couple of mares to for next year so am really excited about that as well.

We geld hard -- if we don't want to keep it for a stallion it gets gelded. We have kept a couple & have sold them to others for their programs, and all seem very happy with them.

We also have some double registerd ASPC/AMHR horses & have started a breeding program for them as well. SO , in my opinnion it is not just price that takes us to the States, but the ability to ifnd long tested & true lines to build aherd with.

Just my opinion -- but I think you will finda lot of farms started the same way.

I know form the people we met at the Little King sale that a lot of people pu a lot of thought & effort (as well as money ) into their breeding and outcrossing program.

There are a LOT of great horses up here in Canada now-- and in a few years some folks will have been at it long enough to know what their stock will give them, but as yet there is just not a real long history of saying this breeding will give you this or that .

Take a look at Littel King, Flying W Farm, Buckeye Walnut Creek for an example -- there are many more as well -- thoses farms have taken a particular stallion & crossed to a particular line or several lines and have proven themselves many,many times in both the show ring and the sales arena, as there is alwasy a BIG demand for those horses.

I hope i have explained my thoughts for a clear understanding. I really don't think money or price is the only reason -- but I also don't think a person can accomplish a great breeding program without a plan -- or just by buying a pretty or inexpensive horse from here, there or just anywhere. Although some great buys and great bloodlines do sometimes show up that way. I know we got an Egyptian King daughter at a sale. Got a magnificent filly with her & our Buckeroo stallion.

Anyway, this was a fascinating topic -- just my take on it.

Latest posts

Back