Puppies and sleeping with you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
How old should they be or are they before you allow them to sleep with you?

[SIZE=14pt]I have let Annie sleep with us two nights.....then I decided she should sleep in her own bed.... all my dogs except Esther sleep in crates at night. Makes it easier for baby sitters to watch them. They need their own space.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My puppies were always allowed to sleep with me, after the were housebroken, which normally only took a few days (nights) for those nights I put them in the spare bathroom, our last 2 labs only took about 3 nights and they were in our bed. I do have crates but dont use them. Corinne

Hmmm...my sons poodle has slept with him since he was 8 weeks old and he was house broke by 12 weeks he sleeps in his crate when we are gone. Our shepherd likes his crate so sleeps there at night or in the crate in the house at night.....he used to sleep with my youngest son until he got the pig ....the dog hates the pig and vice versa.......

Willy the wonder dog has slept on the bed since he got here of course he is 8-12 months and now his preferred spot is on the pillows or by the door guarding. the old chow can't get on the bed...and my old borzoi prefers the couch
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am the first to admit I avoid puppies at all costs.....much prefer my dogs 6 month plus
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Molly has been in the bed from day one or I should say COT at nationals! She would be crushed if I kicked her out of the bed!

RNR

Old enough to be away from their mother, and probably a couple months after that just to make sure they are big enough. As a rule of thumb, NOT before they are potty trained, although, we've had litters potty trained pretty quickly before.

I've had experiences with one of my Shetland Sheepdogs who's now 2yrs old, but when we were potty training her, I let her sleep on the bed and she was usually pretty good, but she did pee in the bed a few times (yuck!!!!!!!
no.gif
) so, atleast not until they are potty trained.

I have two males, they usually only hop on the bed if it's storming outside (they get scared), or we let them up for attention, they are 7 and 8yrs old. The female, we no longer let sleep in the bed, she goes in a kennel at night now, along with her playmate, another female. Only because the youngest female chews everything up if you leave her out (she's 2, so I hope she quits soon!)...and the older 2yr old stays with her just to keep her company.

I did not allow my little white dog on the bed until she was house trained, at least that was the idea, in the end one came out of the other as she insisted and so I told the first pee and she was back in the crate. She never peed on the bed!! The Bad Dobe Kassy has slept on the bed since she was seven weeks old- it was that or move house as she was screaming the place down. She never peed on the bed- in fact I think she has an inflatable bladder- or possible a water storage unit in there as if I do not get up she never bothers. The other Dobe who usually sleeps down stairs, needs to go out at 6.30 or she bursts!!

Oh and there is NOTHING quite like sleeping curled up with a Hot Water Doggle in the small of your back!!!
smile.gif

Our have slept on the bed from day one. Although they are usually a little older (about 4-5 months) when we get them. We never put them in crates, it would just kill them if we informed them that they weren't little people and they could no longer cuddle up under the covers on cold stormy nights
rolleyes.gif
Rabbit I think we have a heeler related to your Kassy. I swear she could stay in for 24 hours straight and not make a mess
wacko.gif

from the get go.. my bed is pretty packed there is not so small me, a border collie, 2 chi's, a chi-weenie and a cat usually on a full size bed you have to run to the bed to claim your spot and then pretty much stuck in that position all nite
biggrin.gif

Well I tried letting Mitzy sleep with me last night, but they both cried wanting to be by each other.

Baby Jack will not be comeing in my bed anytime soon. He for some reason has resorted to peeing in his kennel now. Just started this, he was fine with it the past 7 days.

Keighley has slept with me since I got her at 6 weeks old. Made the house breaking really easy, when she had to go potty she licked me in the face. If I ignored her she'd walk on my head. She's a Yorkie.

Latest posts

Back