Published op/ed piece I did on Barbaro ran today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wee Horse Farm

Reaction score
I write for a living, but not often do I get to write about what I love best, horses, of course. However, here's a piece I did that ran today. Hope you like it. The hard copy version of the paper has a drawing of a baseball card made up with Barbaro's picture on the front & his statistics on the back. Just wasn't room to run it online. (go figure). So, anyway, here's what I did:
default_unsure.png
:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As said in private and now here in public..I was moved to tears by your words and insight and I know horse folk or not, others will be touched by him and your memorial.

[SIZE=12pt]What a beautiful piece - I had tears in my eyes as I read it, just as I did when I heard about Barbaro. I can certainly see why you write.[/SIZE]

So sorry to hear about your filly - what a shame.

Barbie

Karen:

A very nice piece on Barbaro.

Your editors are lamebrains if they don't promote you from news assistant. You should be writing full time.

Karen, what a wonderful piece you did. I'm sitting here crying all over again for Barbaro and for your

little one lost.

You have a great gift!!

Very nicely done! As someone who just lost a TB back in July and my 27 yo. Arab mare almost a year ago now, I can certainly relate to what anyone who has been told "there's nothing more we can do for your horse" feels. I had tears in my eyes just reading what a lovely article you wrote! Great job and Thank you!

That was very beautifully written. Thank you for posting the link.

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work and keep writing about what you love, you have a gift that needs to be nurtured. Think Jane Smiley.
default_smile.png

I have been involved in racing as a fan, then ownership partner, breeder. I have been there when horses broke down. I have seen it on TV also, too many times. Each time it happens, I turn away in sadness and think to myself, "WHY?" Why do you feel so drawn to this sport, the highs are so high, but the lows are the absolute worst lows. But the beauty of a sleek shining Thoroughbred striding into the paddock with their head held high, exploding from the gate with power unmatched, gritting it out as they reach out for the wire...well, it held me.

PalBreak.jpg

My racehorse, Pal McCartney, breaking on top

I have only watched the races once since Barbaro. That day, a magnificent filly named Pine Island went down and didn't live to tell the tale.

I will not watch again. I cannot. It is a self-destructive desire, certain to shatter a fragile heart.

And yet, the day I learned that Barbaro had been laid to rest I was told, "Our mare gave birth today. It's a beautiful filly. She has a double blaze and two white feet." All I could think was perhaps the spirit of Barbaro breezed past our mare and filly, blessing her with just a touch of his heart. God, please keep her safe.

2foalday1.jpg

Beautifully written. I was teary-eyed reading your article........then choked up when I read what Amy wrote.

Fly to the Rainbow Bridge brave ones when it's your turn to go. We will see you there one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderfully written! :aktion033: :aktion033: You captured the essence of what is in our hearts. I had tears in my eyes reading it. And I'm soooooo sorry about your little filly. :no:

Karen,

Thank you so much for the article.. you captured my thoughts perfectly, my thoughts when I had to put my best friend of 30 years down and held her in my arms while she passed to the Rainbow Bridge, my thoughts when I have lost a precious foal, dog or cat and my thoughts when the magnificent Barbaro passed, to make his home with the great horses that have passed before...

It was wonderful....
default_yes.gif
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Beautifully written, well done. :aktion033:

Robin

Very nicely written. Thank you for sharing and I am sorry about your little one.

We go into this knowing it is likely they will pass before we do but it just doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

That goes for all animals we love. I go into such a funk when it happens and I often wonder if it is just some people affected this way? Is it normal to grieve so for an animal? Am I odd? If I am I know that this forum is full of odd ones just like me and that is how I want it to be. Sometimes I feel I actually grieve more for animals than humans.

Very nicely written. Thank you for sharing and I am sorry about your little one.

We go into this knowing it is likely they will pass before we do but it just doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

That goes for all animals we love. I go into such a funk when it happens and I often wonder if it is just some people affected this way? Is it normal to grieve so for an animal? Am I odd? If I am I know that this forum is full of odd ones just like me and that is how I want it to be. Sometimes I feel I actually grieve more for animals than humans.
Well, I know I am one of the "odd" ones...I do grieve more for animals than humans (or maybe it seems that way, since I have lost very few humans in my personal life, yet lost many animals that meant the world to me)...Either way, animals need us to KNOW when its the right time to let them go, even if it means hearing those awful words "There is nothing more to be done." and it is the kindest thing we can do to help them when they need us most, even if it literally breaks our hearts to do it.

Reading that story moved me to tears...for Barbaro (who I have loved since spotting him before the Kentucky Derby and picking him as the winner that day), for Karen's loss of her foal and for my own personal losses.

What a beautiful piece Karen!

Luckily, I've only lost one animal in my life who meant the world to me, a golden retriever named Brandon. He was like a guardian angel when I was younger. Him and I would walk for miles, alone, through the woods and fields! He would only walk a few feet away from me, and he always turned to keep his eye on me, making sure I was alright. He'd go riding with me, and after getting stepped on once, he learned to walk a few feet behind the horse. He died of old age, and was such a wonderful dog!

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's very sad to lose a loved one. Thank you for sharing your writing with us!

Latest posts

Back