Preditor Protector

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
I am setting up a new pasture, one that is established as a cattle field (divided for MY section from my husbands cattle:) It is close to house, however we have seen coyotes on our farm. I will be putting a 17 yr stallion and a couple of mares in this area. Do I need a protector or is a stallion enough? If I look at a mini donkey, is a male or female better (male being gelding), do they adjust well to the herd if I purchase an older donkey? I also read about llamas, does anyone use these and how are they? Thank you for your opinions, they help SO much!!!!

We have coyotes too, but I don't have a donkey and can't let dogs run becuae of the nearby road. I do have electic tape down low to the ground, it seems to work for keeping out the running dogs plus the coyotes, dosn't do much good for the deer, but the horses don't mind them.

I had to finally break down and buy a mule to use as a pasture guard. We had way too many dog attacks, and while the stallion we had in with the mares at the time tried his darnedest, he simply could not keep a pack off the herd. I found a wild as a buck jenny for pretty cheap, brought her home, turned her out, and not a week later come out to find 2 dead dogs. She takes her job seriously, and seems to know the difference between family dogs and random strays. The only thing with mules and donkeys as a guard is that you can't put another mule or donkey out with them. They bond to each other and could care less what happens to your herd after that.

I have heard of folks using llamas, but around here they are too pricey to consdier using one- $1500 compared to the $50 I paid for the mule.

I am setting up a new pasture, one that is established as a cattle field (divided for MY section from my husbands cattle:) It is close to house, however we have seen coyotes on our farm. I will be putting a 17 yr stallion and a couple of mares in this area. Do I need a protector or is a stallion enough? If I look at a mini donkey, is a male or female better (male being gelding), do they adjust well to the herd if I purchase an older donkey? I also read about llamas, does anyone use these and how are they? Thank you for your opinions, they help SO much!!!!
If your horses are going to be in the pasture at night, I would definitely put up the electric tape as the other poster suggested. I'd put one low enough to the ground that a coyote couldn't crawl under it without getting zapped, and another one about a foot above that.

We have a really bad problem with coyotes where I live. They are just everywhere. As a consequence, I just don't take any chances and bring all my horses into the barn every night. I know that's not an option for everyone, though.

Years back I raised mini horses, mini donks and Boer goats. Mostly they did great around one another, you could run some together with no issues and the donks were definately protectors! They did NOT like dogs....or some other small things, rabbits, possums, etc. Then, I brought home a jennet who was mixed mini/standard. She was in great condition, tame, handle tame but, the folks had sold their place and needed to re-home her.

Placed her in with a herd of some boer does & kids. All was well -- we watched and there was no issue with "her" herd. Then, one day, a weaned goat kid from a different pasture got into theirs............she killed it!! Wasn't "her" goat kid. I'd had a couple others advise that if they ran a donk with their doe herd, they had (on occassion) had the protector attack a buck they added at breeding time. Mostly, you have to remove the guard and let the new ones establish and mix with the others, then re-intro the guard.

Not all are like this but, those who are very serious often are. Just a word of caution for future addition situations.

First and foremost what kind of fencing do you have? Start there and be sure it is safe for your horses and does not have any holes where any animal can get in or out.

I have field fence backed up by two rows of hot wire inside and out. I never leave my horses outside at night and I have plenty of lighting and dogs to alert me. We have coyotes and dogs that run at large also but so far none have penetrated our fencing but if you have any doubts I'd pull out all the stops and bring in the heavy artillery.

I had a major coyote and neighborhood dog problem and since my stupid neighbors wouldn't atleast keep their dog on a line or in a fence, or atleast on their property - I went ahead and purchased a standard (not miniature) donkey who is a gelding. He is very protective over his family but attacks ANYTHING that's not another horse. Keep in mind, all my fencing is electric and this hasn't stopped the dogs or coyotes!

Personally, I would only have the mini donks as a pet not protection. I like the bigger ones with more weight and size on them so they can

"ruff and tumble" with the bigger dogs easily if need be.

If I were you - I'd definately get some kind of protection!

Keep in mind that not all donkeys or llamas will attack coyotes and dogs or be protective of the animals they are in with. Also, one llama or one donkey doesn't have much of a chance against more than one dog or coyote.

My livestock protection is two livestock guardian dogs (one Anatolian Shepherd and one Anatolian/Great Pyranees mix). We have five foot high small-mesh fencing -- keeps the LGDs and horses in and stray dogs out-- and my LGDs warn off anything that doesn't belong. Neighbors just a half mile from us have had mountain lions in their yards, but none come anywhere near us. Predators see donkeys and llamas as prey just as they do horses, but they recognize that LGDs are predators just as they are and may be far more intimidating. If a predator can take down a llama or donkey, dinner is served, but with LGDs on the site they'd have to try to take down the LGDs and *then* try for their prey. Too dangerous for them and they will just keep looking.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back