PONY PEOPLE HELP! Advice before I buy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Okay I am looking around at some Modern/ Modern Pleasure ponies. I am just SO in love with the action they have (so it seems pony people call it "motion"?) I don't know a lot about moderns but I want to jump right in (carefully)!

This one pony has me intrigued, but he is 46" on the line. The seller says if he measures "over" he will be a Show Pony. I am just a little nervous, coming from a miniature background where it is BAD to "go over"...

Is there a huge difference between Modern Pleasure and Show Pony? Will he be less competitive as a 46" show pony if he's the smallest? Are Show Ponies ever smaller than 46"? Are Show Pony classes smaller than Modern Pleasure? I don't ever see anything about Show Ponies.

Where can I find out more about Moderns? I don't see a lot about them, mostly Classics.

Moderns don't have special papers do they? Just a "type"?

If anyone can help me out or is interested in advising me, I've got a handful of ponies I'm looking at but this big guy has my eye.

Thank you!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
hopefully lewella will come and help you out as shes much more experienced then i am. I have to be honest though and say in the shows i have been to there are no show ponies showing. But this could have been because of where i lived?? IMO a modern pony is much more desirable then a show pony especially if you want to show. Our patches is right at the line too but always measured in. Shes a modern pony but doesnt fit the "modern" look so she showed in modern pleasure. (except when a friend tricked me and entered me in the modern class LOL) A couple generations back she has hackney which gave her that beautiful movement. Because of the hackney she has the B designation on her aspc papers. I think you would have more fun with a modern pleasure horse vs a show pony but thats just my opinion
default_smile.png

Show pony classes, from what Ive seen tend to be smaller than modern classes. In general show ponies (more accurately, the ones that do well in that division) have more motion than their modern counterpart for the same division, simply because the ponies you are showing against are often purebred hackneys that meet the height requirements. (ASPR registry is open to purebred shetlands, purebred hackneys and any combination of the 2 that meet the height standard). Typically a modern pleasure pony will have less action than a modern harness pony, and an ASPR pony will have more.

Another thing to consider is how they are measuring him. Is he 46" with a show foot or barefoot? If its with a show foot you might be able to get him to measure in if you are very careful with his shoeing.

Spazkat I have PMd you...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back