Pinto minis With Appaloosa/Pintoloosa Background ==

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiegirl

Reaction score
As promised yesterday, I said I would contact the Pinto Association about the Pinto/Appaloosa question. Here is the answer directly from Pinto.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it has Appaloosa in the first four generation, then we will not be able to register it.

Andrea Priest

PtHA Registration Department

Pinto Horse Association of America Inc

7330 NW 23rd St

Bethany, OK 73008 USA

405/491-0111, Ext. 214

[email protected]

NOTICE: This communication contains privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received it in error, please advise the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email and any attachments without reading, copying or disclosing the contents. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents is prohibited. Your receipt of this communication is not intended to waive any applicable privilege.

On Nov 15, 2009, at 12:57 PM, douglas burford wrote:

I need to know if a miniature horse is registered with AMHA, and AMHR and has Pinto coloration, although is does have Appaloosa background, if it is eligible to be registered in Pinto.?

Thank you

Thanks.

Would those who breed appys buy a foal were the grandmom was a pinto? Or is that too close.

And vice a vera. Would Pinto breeders buy a pinto foal if the grandmom was an app? I am guessing no for the ladder one since they cant be registered pinto???

Of course, PtHA would have to KNOW that a miniature horse had appaloosa in it's background. Some of the registration papers don't reflect that.

As far as whether a horse has pinto or appy in the background really doesn't matter to me. I look at the horse standing in front of me.
default_smile.png

While the "4 generations no appy" is the rule, most of the field reps that do the onsite registration have been told that they can register a mini as Pinto as long as there are no visable appy characteristics...mottled skin etc.

While the "4 generations no appy" is the rule, most of the field reps that do the onsite registration have been told that they can register a mini as Pinto as long as there are no visable appy characteristics...mottled skin etc.
I still say that they did the research on the one that I own and did disqualify him from Pinto registry. I have the letter from them stating what horse has ap in his background and specifically named him. From all appearances he does look pinto. You have to send in your approved outcross registry papers for registration. All they have to do is look at the outcross papers and they know what the breeding is.

If you knowingly try to, or register, a horse with appaloosa background, that is against the rules. Somewhere down the road the characteristics will resurface and then you would probably be loosing your Pinto papers. It certainly can come back to bite you.

The cost of registering a breeding animal in Pinto is pretty expensive. I dont think I would want to risk a lot of money hoping that I wouldnt get caught with an ap.

Pinto USED to check the pedigrees (of AMHA horses anyway) for App blood, but I think they stopped doing that several years back. I knew they relaxed the rules, but I also think as Sedah said, that there are ways to get them registered as long as they don't have App characteristics themselves. I think they realized they were missing out on a lot of registrations (e.g. $$$) by being so strict with minis. Doesn't change anything for me - I still want my pintos to not have any App blood.

Latest posts

Back