Panther spotted!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
Dogs were going nuts the other night, we knew something was to close for comfort.

On the way to the store in the morning DH sees a panther run across the road into the field right next to ours! Now that is way way to close. Will they bother the miniature horses or are they after the goats?? Do they bother with cats? I am missing a ton of barn cats. Any suggestions?? I know we have bob cats in the area and the neighbor had said there were panthers but I didnt believe him. :eek:

default_sad.png
Denise that is way too scary, do you have a gun, I would keep it with me if I were you. A panther would probably go after the smaller weaker animals first but I think they would go after the minis too. Where did it come from do you know? Take care and keep safe.

Yvonne

I heard that people use to raise them as pets and then when they got bigger they just released them. :eek:

At our old house down the road they had a tiger as a pet! You could see it from the road. He sure looked like he was nice and cuddly.....NOT!

I would start leaving a radio on in your barn or near your animals at all hours. Talk out loud periodically when you go out and always be alert. Look UP as well as around if you have trees. Avoid going out at dusk, dawn or night. Secure your trash and any pet food in sealed containers. Feed pets indoors. Contain your livestock and pets at night. Panthers are opportunists as well as predators, so your best bet is to make your property unappealing to them as a place to hang out, hunt or grab an easy meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know several people who have lost horses to black panthers. :no: One out in a pasture (it was an older horse), but one of them was in his stall and the cat jumped in with him. he didn't have a chance. It's really sad. My suggestion is a trail camera. They are motion detector cameras and will take photos of all the creatures outside that pass by it. We've caught some interesting photos on ours. but it does help you to know what exactly is coming in your pastures.

then maybe a hunting trip./....

Be Careful! We come from Mountain Lion Country in California and I can't tell you how many times people go outside to get the mail and here hissing and look up to see one laying on the roof. Keep your eyes and ears open at all times!!

Moved from Mountain Lion country CA to Texas and was glad no panther here. Wrong! Our farrier, who is also a trapper, told here are panther. When they taste horse they come again and again.

I did research Mountain Lion in LA and here we go, many of them. Their range getting to small and wander to east Texas.

They don't like any kind of human smell and we cut trees around the fence.

I think only sick animals or had contact with humans come close to people but don't take my word.

A

Be careful, they have been known to attack people, also.

Latest posts

Back