overdue mare foaled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

Reaction score
Well finally on Saturday my little over due mare looked like she was getting down to bussiness (353 days), we alerted the vet and said we would call as soon as the foaling alarm went off at 10pm that night she did... Firstly, it was a red bag, luckly for us the person foaling her broke it and went in and got the nose and the one leg out... Couldn't find the other, called the vet NO ANSWER, tried her other phone, NO ANSWER, Tried the only despirate emergency only phone no answer..... She was at another foaling emergency - she arrived, 45 Minutes after the mare started foaling, the foals leg was way back and it took her a wee while to get it, we figure the foal was finially out of the mare at 11.15.... and ALIVE.. we treated the poor exhausted mare, gave the wee foal some meds and got the 2 aquanted 1 Miricle one, the mare passed the placenta and the vet inspected it and one horn of the placenta had infection..... Miricle 2 that the mare had hung on for so long... the wee filly (yes I said filly, when everyone said overdue it'll be a colt) was up on her feet in no time and so strong for a wee one who had been though all that and is a very very greedy girl.. We had to sit up with the foal all night as she kept doing the scary stop breathing thing rag doll thing (she did it about 3 times) Mainly when she was feeding.... Had the mare irrigated yesterday and the wee foal (no name yet - I can't think of anything special enough) was so pleased to get out and stretch her legs although she is very chesty, both mum and baby are getting antibiotics morning and night and baby is having a blood work done today to find out what bugs she has seen as she has been living in a big infection... Please keep your fingers crossed for the wee one she has had such a rough start..... Oh and she is just like a 3 week old foal, her mane and tail are SOOOOO long... Our stallions only other foal (born last year) was shown by her owner over the weekend and took both Championships and Supremes!! So its been a BIG weekend... We have another mare due tomorrow.... Im not sure were ready again yet...

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I am so happy that your mare finally had her foal with a positive outcome. I will keep both in my prayers that they fight the infection but they BOTH sound like fighters to me
biggrin.gif
. What is the name of the mare and stallion? Perhaps we can help you with a special name for the wee gal.

Whew!
new_shocked.gif
Sounds like your little wee one is a fighter!

The "rag doll" stuff is probably a result of her being a red bag baby (lack of oxygen) and I bet she'll catch up in a day or two and be doing great.

I agree -- she needs a SPECIAL name. Her spirit has honor and strength and she deserves recognition for her true grit.

From what you described, even a regular red bag delivery wouldn't have survived without that little spirit fighting on her own too!

aktion033.gif
MA

you must be exhausted! im so glad you got her out and shes doing ok. also really thankful your mare is okay. I never like it when a mare goes overdue as alot of times its followed by problems

Kay

Dam is Misty Dawn, and dads name Fantasia Diamond -(80's computer game) we had planned to name all his foals after computer games but we feel this filly needs a pretty girlie special name....

wishful said:
WHEReS the picture?
485570[/snapback]

We don't have any yet... Had only an hours sleep - wheres the very tired emoticon.... Will get some soon...

WOW! What an ordeal! Big congrats to all of you!

Maybe Dawning Spirit, Spirit of Dawn, Diamond Dawn or something to honor mum after the way she hung in there too? What color is she? (filly)

Congratulations! It really is a miracle that you had a live filly after all that!

Big congrats on getting her here alive and keeping her that way!!! Keep up the good work.

Congratulations on your new filly
aktion033.gif
Its been 24 hours now, hope all of you are feeling rested . Hope to see a pic soon
wink.gif

WOW Victoria, CONGRATS on a job well done for all involved, it would have been a tense time. I'm sure you have lots of sleep to catch up on, so hopefully your mare that is due today, gives you a couple of days grace so you can rest up.

Can't wait to see pics.

Nicole

wow congratulations
aktion033.gif
what a miricale!!!

They are both fighters I have not known a foal to hang on for that long.

She is very, very special!!

Latest posts

Back