One never knows just what a dog will do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Since Thera has been down Jack has become very aggressive, growls, charges, bares his teeth. I'm not sure if he senses her vulnerability or she smells different because of the meds but for the last few days he has been acting very aggressive. Today I went out to check Thera (for the 1000000000th time) and he charged them at the gate, went thru and grabbed Halley. Needless to say I grabbed him and he was told in no uncertain terms this was not good. I locked him up as I had to go do a photo shoot on some puppies. I told the person about Jack (he's a jack russell btw) and she grabbed up the phone and knew someone w/ 3 little boys who were looking for a Jack for stud. So, I opted to let him go. They just left. All grins around, he jumped right in back with the boys.

I don't hesitate to shoot stray dogs who behave this way with horses. Forgive me for those who think the SSS method is bad. My point is...we just don't know what will trigger any dog. Jack has been here since he was 9 wks old, grew up around the minis, my grandson, was trained nicely and no trouble. But a dog here gets one chance, I was thrilled to place him before his behavior got any worse. I have too much on my plate right now to have given him more chances.

Just thought I'd remind y'all that even a beloved pet can and has turned. I'll never forget reading about Laura's dog, thus my instant placement of him where there is no livestock.

(btw Halley was not hurt but it sure scared both girls.)

Man I need a nap!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow debs youve got your hands full this past few weeks, i agree totally in your desicion,

well done a responsible owner :aktion033:

im just glad your not posting what might have happened if you had of kept jack and he didnt get the message......
default_sad.png

you need some well earned rest
default_wub.png
:

Perfect decision! It's so much better that he got a new home right away before he got something crazy in his head! After my whole experience a few weeks ago with my Mom's dog, I applaud you and what you did!! :aktion033:

Debs, you did just fine. Jack will be happy with his new boys and your horses are safe. this way. Wow, have you had a week!!!

Good for you Debs. Eliminate as many stressors as you can
default_wink.png
: .

The best part of this situation is, you probably caught it before SSS was necessary! You saved both horses and dog as well as yourself from a lot more stress down the road. :aktion033: I applaud you for not passing it off and then regretting it later.

SSS is Shoot-Shovel-and Shhhhhhhhh. It is not something any one of us enjoys or prefers to do but when one or more of our minis, or children are threatened, many of us shoot and shhh. I have in times past and would again but I know Jack, he's basically a good boy but a jack russell. I looked into his head and he just felt the need to "get em". Very sudden this was also but God and fate were with me today. I am so glad Jack has a home and within hours of his behavior. I don't have the time and energy (forgive me) currently to try to teach him "no" when he knew all along it was bad. When I scolded him he knew he was bad but ran right back out to them after I yelled. So he is gone and I am at peace. My minis are safe and the britt has learned to bark at critters so the bears will most likely stay away. Stress levels are going down a bit thanks.

I'm not sure if he senses her vulnerability
My JR's are very good at this too. You were fortunate to find a good home for him so quickly, we have a female who I have tried to place with no luck. She's lucky to be alive with some of the stunts she has pulled, nearly had her put down when they killed one of my cats. She just doesn't go out with her son, and that solves 90% of the trouble. The two together are a killing team and I won't allow it. Has never been remotely aggressive with people although she's not used to kids, but small animals - or anything vulnerable -is a target. The only reason I've kept her I guess is that she's getting pretty old and not in such great health herself.

Jan

Debs I admire you for dealing with the problem in the most effective way that had the best outcome for all. Some dogs just aren't cut out to always leave other animals alone so I'm glad you had the chance to find him another home as soon as possible.

Gosh Deb, you have gone through so much lately and now this too?? Just now fair. :no: I'm glad you found him a good home though.

Never doubt that your animals can be better off with someone else!!

I commend you wholeheartedly for putting the animals needs before your own- so many would have hung onto the dog and gone through the "training"- which is basically just punishing the dog for doing what it wants to do- and then failing and - oh, you know it all by now we have seen it so many times.

"The devil made me do it" is a dogs middle name- any dog, just pick one at random.

As the owner of a Dobe who has to be muzzled in public to protect Yorkshire terriers I can empathise completely- there was never an option with Kitty- we were bonded from ten days old, we are soul mates, but Jack has always been a free spirit- perhaps he had completed his work with you and it was just time for him to move on.

Whatever the reason he has a good home and you have one less thing to worry about- what could be better???
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Got a call from Jack's new owner and he is doing great. They have a basset boy puppy who was crying and crying so they put the boys together and now "Uncle Jack" is taking care of the wee baby! Isn't that nice, Jack was always a good boy but in no way could I give him chance 2 with my minis.

Debs, what a brave, unselfish thing to do. You did the right thing for all concerned (as I knew you would!)

How is Thera doing today? Meds still working?

Sounds like the right decision all the way around for you, for Jack, and for the horses.

Hugs,

MA

Thanks Suzie, meds are working GREAT! This carafate/sucralfate is a wonder. It is not fully tested on equines but it is so safe and not harmful even if given too much. She nickers when she sees me now, perks right up, eats her hay. still only gets a bite of feed for now but loves her carrots. Hopefully it will warm enough for a quick frolic out so I can clean the stall well. Kiss the Glowbug for me.

You made a correct decision in finding Jack a new home.

BUT, the new owner should NOT use him at stud. He should be neutered so that he cannot pass along his genetic tendencies to others.

~Julie~

Latest posts

Back