On the subject of wormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Laura

So it is just the cattle ivermec. Same dose as cattle per pound then?

Annette,

Yes, you want the PLAIN Ivomec for cattle -- NOT the "Plus". Dose is 1cc per 100 lbs.

MA

I just got my Safeguard Suspension from Valley Vet.

They have it listed as Drench under the livestock section, but it's the same 10% solution. The 5 day double dose is 4.6 ML per 100 pounds.

Here is the link to the direct page, Safeguard Suspension

It comes in a liter and a gallon. I ordered mine and got it in 3 days!
default_yes.gif
:

Another question--what is the 'shelf life' of these liquid formulas? With 'only' 8 minis, I am wondering if I would use 1000 ml. up before it goes out of date? Those of you who have the liter, or 1000 ml.(are those exactly the same amount? I'm too old to be good at metrics....
default_smile.png
!)--do they carry an expiration date on the container, and if so, how 'long' is it?

Sounds like a really good idea!

Unfortunately -- my critters just LOVE to dump their feed buckets - flipping them over and wearing the feed on their heads -- and eating it off the ground. Still working on figuring out how to "stabilize" the buckets so they can't flip them - have used bungees etc.. and still, if they really want to, they flip them.

So.. I would be afraid they were not getting all the wormer that was top dressed.

Gonna look into that though - thanks for sharing the idea.

JJay

Margo-- 1 Liter is 1000 ML, and I just looked at the liters I just got..............

They say store at or below 77 degrees and protect from freezing. Expiration date is August of 2009.

Heads up................

For those of us with 2 or 3 minis. I found the Panacur/Safeguard/(Fenbendazole 10) in liquid form at Tractor Supply Co. Safeguard for GOATS.

1 bottle is enough to do 2 minis at the 5 day double dose rate for 16.50.

The paste was 15.00 and I need two tubes per horse. BIG TIME SAVINGS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use the paste but have toyed with the liquid idea. Where do you buy it and what exactly do you use. All I ever seem to see at the local feed stores is for cattle. Can you order it through Jeffers or Valley Vet or similar?

You can order them, but it is a perscription (oddly enough). Its pretty cheap... costs me $2 per big horse. Just as a note, Panacur is a VERY weak wormer, and relying on it because of its price isn't a good idea. Also depends what you have in your area... you may need a better regiment. I use a rotation of four different wormers (three for the mini) to get everything that is present.

Panacur is Fenbendazole, apart form first worming for foals, as I said earlier in this thread, it is almost pointless using it except as a double dose five day course to remove encysted small strongyles.

PLEASE do not use fenbendazole as a routine wormer it is not efficient as such.

Just a head's up here.....when buying deworming products labeled for other animals please check that what you are buying doesn't have any other 'stuff' added to it.

Combination products are pretty common in animal medicines, but some of the additives might cause serious consequences in horses. Just read labels and be sure you are getting only what you want and nothing extra.

Charlotte

And to add to Charlottes' post, be sure what you are buying (wormer wise and labeled for other animals) is the same strength as that you would use for horses.

What about using Eqvalan? It's liquid Ivermectin and is made for the use in horses. Has anybody tried that? My vet sells that and figured it was cheaper going that way than paying shipping.

Its just a paticular brand of liquid ivermectin, works as good as any other brand. Coming from your vet it might be overpriced; if it costs more than $20 for 100mL its may be more expensive than you need to pay.

Ha, liquid Eqvalan for horses costs $170 for 100 ml here. I think that works out about the same as buying the tubes of paste, which are $15.99 & up here. The past year I've been buying the Noromectin liquid--it's the injectible ivermectin for cattle, but I give it to the horses orally. I was paying $75/100 ml, which was still the cheapest (by far) way to deworm horses here, but I bought some two weeks ago and was amazed at the drop in price--I got 250 ml for $75. That made it only $3.60 to deworm each of the Morgans and something like 90 cents per mini. Apparently the company dropped their price to match the US prices. So many people here were going south of the border and bringing back ivermectin, the Canadian sales were suffering.

Latest posts

Back