Oklahoma ice storm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Oklahoma has yet another ice storm. Everything is covered. It was bad last night when I got off work but it is a LOT worse this morning. We are still having frozen rain and it is about 2 inches deep. There were a number of bad accidents yesterday and today is to be worse.

Hubby took a fall yesterday morning then when he went to feed he nearly ended up in the ditch because of the ice on a bridge.

My brother in law was on his way home ( he is a trucker) and saw 2 major accidents. One involved 2 cars that were upside down in a ditch and the other was a car that flipped over the bridge rail and landed upside down on the road below.

Everybody stay safe and stay warm, it is supposed to warm up tomorrow.

Mary

Ice here in southwestern OK also. Our county is so good about sanding roads--even remote gravel rural intersections, dips, and curves have been sanded. I've called them to say "thanks". We are glad to get some moisture here, but in a perfect world it wouldn't come as ice.

Stay safe and warm, fellow okies.

Another one here in SW OK! We are doing okay and not nearly as bad as the eastern side of the state. We got the thin layer of ice yesterday but this morning everything is covered in sleet. Gives you traction that way. I made it to work easily, but school was called off so hubby is home with the kids.

All my horses look funny and are covered in ice. All of them have access to shelter, but the only one who used it last night was the mare that I have up under the camera. I just knew that she would pick last night to foal, but thankfully she didn't!

Ok checking in from SE OK

we have only gotten rain thank god

the bridges are alittle icy but that is it

all my little ones and some biggies are all blanketed

dawn

We are ok! The ice is solid and thick around here. Karrel drives a huge Coke truck and was working up North yesterday (Clinton & Elk City) and he said it was pretty bad. Theresa said they were going home from the Dr and slid past their road yesterday.

Hubby left this AM to go to work but their not running many of the trucks so he came home. He works injured and very sick, nothing keeps him home, but he's home today and I'm glad!

I let him go out and bust the ice on the horse waters LOL!

Stay warm and stay safe everyone!

Getting it here in Ky also. I called Texas this morning and the guy said someone in Ok that talked to him that morning said it was bad... Lee and I just got through putting up calf panels to keep the horses underneath their overhangs and inside their shelters... This allows us to get them out of their stalls during this weather so they can walk around and keep their footing safe.............Stay safe!.

Northwest Arkansas is covered in ice also. Looks like it may last another day as it's still coming down and temps are going to stay below freezing

Yea here in SW Mo were covered in Ice too. We have a main artery road outside our house and ONLY 3 cars have "braved" it all day. It's a solid wall of ice. The salt truck hasn't even bothered to be down it. I guess to busy hitting the freeway and downtown where I live. OH it was hysterical watching my dogs trying to go potty they we sliding all over the ice. Our back patio is flat but the back yard starts to slant, well my dogs started sliding down the hill. My poor little boy was lifting his leg and sliding at the same time.... I was CRACKING UP!!!!!! My Shar Pei started to walk down the hill and started sliding, OH SO FUNNY. At least if your going to be in this mess you might as well find the HUMOR!!!!TJ

It looks like a war zone here ! All my big pretty Bradford Pear trees that went down both sides of my driveway are all broken down. Its nothing but ice, every where. Pine trees are breaking everywhere. I know I am going to hate looking outside tomorrow, when its light. Our lights are going off and on.
default_no.gif
Looks like some major clean-up going to happen around here in a few days. Mickie left out today to go back to Saudi. I took him to Little Rock yesterday and he spent the night near the airport. We knew we could not get out today. Guess we made the right decision, but sure wish he was home.

Linda

Anyone in OK near Mustang, OK? My hubby is down there helping my grandparents move back up here. They had planned to leave today, but said they wouldn't leave until tomorrow now. How bad did that area get hit?

Checking in from NW Arkansas, here, otherwise know as "the ice covered he$$".

No power since yesterday about noon, state declared disaster area, but, due to the forethought of my super hubby, we have kerosene heaters & extra fuel, lanterns for light, camp stoves for cooking, the fireplace going, water (hot and cold), PLENTY of food (I'm a compulsive just in case shopper), although the fridge and freezer are thawing quickly (the food from the smaller freezer is now outside), TV and now the computer (yippee) hooked up to the generator, so we are FAR better off than most of the folks around us :-(

My MIL is without any heat/cooking/light sources, 45 miles away with impassable roads and REFUSES to leave her dogs to go to a shelter. How do you argue with a 70 year old woman who can make grown men shudder in fear when she gets riled up?

SIL is in town with no power or heat. Mom & Dana's crew have no power OR water and are trying to clear a way to the road to try to find a way to haul water for the livestock..

I don't even want to think about the condition of the pasture fences. All day and night we could hear trees going down, one after the other. It sounded like gunfire, BOOM, CRASH, CRACK! We have lost or will lose almost all of the trees in the yard. Linda, our Bradfords just split in half too
default_sad.png

From this morning @ 14 degrees

Branches on the propane tank

DSCF0029.jpg

Power lines on the highway sagging all the way to the trees

DSCF0030.jpg

The back yard

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

I usually park my car under this tree

DSCF0035.jpg

Unhappy cows...NOT in their shed @@

DSCF0037.jpg

One of the bradford pears, both are split

DSCF0038.jpg

The shrubs outside the front door

DSCF0042.jpg

Gee Laura - I am sorry you are having such a rough time, but boy those photos are really pretty - . I am so glad that we are only having snow - no ice. That is really strange for your area isn't it?

Laura,

That is what it looks like here in Kentucky also. I just got through breaking almost 3 inches of ice off the top of our heat pump unit...... Between IKE this summer and now this we may have to cut the rest of the tree down in our front yard - it is looking pretty skimpy...... Ky has been declared a disaster area also................. We lost all of our bradford pears years ago due to wind. If you plant more pears get the aristrocrat pear or the new one, starts with C I think. They don't break as easily...... So far so good for my aristrocrat pear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got to work this afternoon. Monday was off with a sinus headache and was going to go in later but it started icing so just stayed home. Monday night the Govenor declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY and almost everything in the state shut down Tuesday including Tinker AFB so got a free day off and an additional 3" of sleet on top of 1/4" of ice. Lost power Tuesday evening for about 3 hours but the CO-OP get things fixed quickly. Yesterday the base had a 3 hour delay start but but I could not get out of the driveway. Got a lot of melting with the sun shining brightly but only made it into the lower 20s so when sunset came everything refroze. Was able to finally get out the drive at noon but it is still ice covered by sleet so it will be fun getting back up the drive this evening.

Tuesday was calling the boys about every 2 hours as John drives a route truck and was out in eastern Oklahoma when his boss (who was out in Western OK near the TX line) told everyone to come in. Took him a couple of hours to make if from Shawnee to the Depot on Eastern (usually is about a 45 minute drive). It usually takes my son James who lives up around Tulsa (works in Tulsa) about 45 minutes home and it took him almost 2 hours also.

We got up into the 40's today and are supposed to be back in the upper 50s by the weekend.

Glad this was just a short blast and not like Dec 2007 when I was without power for 10 days. I know what the folks in AR and KY are talking about listening to all the trees snap and pop from the weight of the ice. We OKIES lived thought that just a little over a year ago.

Everyone stay safe.

Latest posts

Back