Non registered mini's? Full of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAddict21

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Okay. I have a chance of getting a few mini mares but they aren't registered. I searched this topic in the box thing at the top but it kept telling me there was an error. So I decided to just post. [/SIZE]

I already have a Registered Mini colt (He will be gelded, I don't want to get into breeding). But I got an offer to purchese a few non registered mini mares. So my question is what are the pros and cons of owning non registered mini's? I want to show eventually but are there any shows you can do with non registered minis? Is there any way to register a mini if the parent's weren't registered? I am pretty new to mini's so I am full of questions lol With that being said should I pass on this and look for registered mini's?

I think that's all the questions at the moment but if I think of anymore I will post them
default_smile.png

I would personally continue my search and find registered miniatures. This is because you said you are interested in showing so you would want to show with a registry unless you would just want to do local open all-breed shows which may or may not have anything more to offer miniatures than halter, showmanship and in-hand trail. You can register unregistered Miniatures with WCMHR or ICMHR but I do not recommend them and to me those papers would be best suited as toilet paper because anyone can put anything down on them. 

Plus, if you would ever need to rehome them, there are plenty more buyers in the market for AMHA/AMHR/ASPC miniatures than WCMR/ICMHR/Unregistered. 

Just my two cents! 
default_smile.png

Just my humble opinion...but unregistered horses need homes just as much as registered horses need homes. If you are mainly looking for pets or lawn ornaments, they both make great furry friends. It takes the same amount of money to support and care for an unregistered horse as for a registered horse. When I lived in Virginia, I had both registered horses and unregistered, for me, it was harder to sell my registered horses than my unregistered ones.

Unregistered horses are great for fun around the farm, parades, nursing home visits, and shows at local fairs. Look into what shows are available in your area if you are serious about showing. See what kind of registry shows are near you also before you make up your mind.

In Virginia there is World Class Miniature Horse Registry. As far as I know they only have one show a year and it is held in North Carolina. The members are a fun group of people but this is not a popular registry on this board.

Short answer: just keep hunting for horses that have their papers in order. It's a buyer's market right now, so it's a great time to buy if you've got cash in hand. Fewer headaches.

Slightly longer answer:

Oppurtunities for non-registered Miniatures are pretty limited. You're limited to open all breed local shows and they have virtually no resale value. The only exception would be if you're planning on using them for recognized CDE competition, in which case, papers don't matter, but their value would be limited to a very narrow market.

As for getting papers, your options are again, very very limited. Why aren't they registered? Are any under 34"? Are you willing to go through considerable expense and hassle to get papers?

Short answer: just keep hunting for horses that have their papers in order. It's a buyer's market right now, so it's a great time to buy if you've got cash in hand. Fewer headaches.
Slightly longer answer:

Oppurtunities for non-registered Miniatures are pretty limited. You're limited to open all breed local shows and they have virtually no resale value. The only exception would be if you're planning on using them for recognized CDE competition, in which case, papers don't matter, but their value would be limited to a very narrow market.

As for getting papers, your options are again, very very limited. Why aren't they registered? Are any under 34"? Are you willing to go through considerable expense and hassle to get papers?
While they all deserve good homes,the above is an excellant answer, I couldn't agree more.

[SIZE=14pt]First off, I want to thank everyone for their honest opinions
default_smile.png
I do appreciate it.
[/SIZE]

In all honesty I don't know their height yet as I didn't even think to ask about it. I'm not sure to what kinds of shows I would want to be involved in.. It probally wouldn't be anything serious, I know for at least a year. So for right now, they would most likely end of being more of a companion to Arrow and something for me to play with (As far as the training would go). And if I did want to go to any big shows I still have Arrow, right? I don't know what I may end up doing as I have to agree with Charley, all Mini's no matter if they are registered or not deserve a home. But I wanted to see what you all though
default_smile.png

Thanks so much again.

One of my concerns about purchasing non registered miniatures is that it supports the people that are not taking care of business.

As has been already said, if you just want some pets and lawn mowers, their is no reason that you should not get them.

If you are serious about showing, I would save up until you have the money to get a show quality horse.

Well, there are a few options:

1. If the price is right (very cheap), get them. Then spend time training them to cart and being family friendly. When the time is right, sell them to homes. Lots of people want minis for their grandkids or as a retirement deal to play around with (and could care less about papers). Up to you depending on how attatched you get to horses. But you could make a little bit of profit training them, then re-selling.

2. Check out open shows in your area. Lots of local horse clubs/arenas may offer something. Also, if you have children, 4-H is a great place for non-reg. minis.

3. Pass on the deal and continue searching. Its more up to what caliber of showing you want to do.

4. Non-reg. minis can be registered with the WCMHR. Its kind of a catch all registry. But they do offer shows (depends on where you live as to if they are offered. They aren't on the west coast, but they are on the east coast). I'm thinking they are low caliber type shows and the registration fee is pretty cheap. I know a lot of members on this forum are against this registry as it really doesn't represent what the AMHA/AMHR people are trying to breed. But I say, go for it if they offer shows around you.

One more avenue to consider that hasn't been mentioned... Would they happen to be pinto? And, do you have any Pinto registry shows in your area? The Pinto Association does have a miniature division and any mini with qualifying pinto markings can be registered with them for a fee. [That is all I know about the Pinto association and registering minis, but another option to explore.]

[SIZE=14pt]They are cheap.. $100 each obo.. Hmm..Not really sure what I will do but I will look into everything
default_smile.png
Thanks
[/SIZE]

Something else to think about that I don't think has been brought up yet: if you do decide to buy them, first make sure that they are HEALTHY and don't have any underlying problems that could cost a lot of time, money, and heartache to deal with. Some of those things could be founder, cushings, insulin resistance, or various other hoof, leg, or teeth problems, etc. This could be true of any horse, of course, but I've known too many people who bought "clearance horses" and then ended up having to put a lot more money into them.

If the horses are healthy and you don't care to show, then it might be just the thing for you.
default_smile.png

Lots of good advice here. I suggest that if you think you might want to show, find out what clubs and shows there are in your area. I would love to show AMHR, but there aren't very many shows here, so I show mostly Pinto. And yes, you could get a non-registered pinto mini registered pretty easily. The other thing to keep in mind is maybe not so much the papers but the QUALITY of the minis. If the price is low, registered or not, they just might not be what you would want to show. And as Magic said, they might have health or conformation issues that will cost money or make them unsuitable for your plans.

I would not recommend that you buy cheap with the idea of training them to re-sell and make money. It is highly unlikely that you will make any money, and you may just get too attached to them anyway!

Good luck!

You mentioned that you won't be showing for a year or more - horses, as you already know, are a long term investment. If you decided in a year or 2 that you really want to show AMHA or AMHR, then you have 2 horses that don't fit your goals. You still have to feed, worm, vet, etc.

I agree, there are a lot of really good, really reasonable registered horses out there. In addition, with registered stock you have more of an idea what you are getting for your money and what you can expect.

I have 7 minis,they have no papers. I have very little history,some have sad stories but they all needed new loving homes. I think if you have enough space,money and love they would definately be worth checking out. My big horses have papers and I don't love them any more or less
default_biggrin.png
. Good luck

Of course all minis deserve a good home, but that doesn't mean that you necessarily should give a home to the first ones you're offered. If they are what you want in terms of conformation, size, etc etc then by all means they could be a great buy. There may be open shows you can enter them in, but if you're definitely wanting to show you should first check around. Here we have open shows that offer Mini classes--all sorts of Mini classes--but they also require that the horse have registration papers. A mini with no papers can only show in the open pony classes at these shows. That can be okay too, but sometimes is more difficult because the pony classes--depending on which show it is--are likely to be either 11.2 hands and under, 12.2 hands and under, or even under 14.2 and there can be good competition. You could hardship these Minis into AMHA if they aren't taller than 34" but hardshipping is expensive and you can probably buy a registered Mini for less than the hardshipping will cost.

If you think an unregistered horse will suit your needs, you could be disappointed later when you decide you'd like to show at a sanctioned show and cannot because your horse isn't registered. If you're like many of us you may get attached to that horse & won't want to sell her to buy a registered one. If you have the room then that may not be a problem either, because you can just keep the unregistered ones and buy some more that are registered...

If you buy registered horses now then your options are completely open--the sanctioned registry shows are available to you, and you can still show at any of the open shows that you might choose. You might have to pay a little more for registered stock but these days you may find some very nice horses for not a lot more money.

Just some things to consider.

You mentioned that you won't be showing for a year or more - horses, as you already know, are a long term investment. If you decided in a year or 2 that you really want to show AMHA or AMHR, then you have 2 horses that don't fit your goals. You still have to feed, worm, vet, etc.
I agree, there are a lot of really good, really reasonable registered horses out there. In addition, with registered stock you have more of an idea what you are getting for your money and what you can expect.

[SIZE=12pt]That's an IF I show.. I have a lot of factors to consider.. I didn't want to put this on here but I feel I need to so some of yall can know where I am coming from. My mom has terminal cancer and now it's just a waiting game. She has had cancer since I was 6 year old and I am now 21 years old. She's a fighter thats fo sure but has gotten worse lately. My horses are my escape. I don't like saying it like that but they make things better even if they ain't. But wheather I show or not depends on how my mom is.. I would like to but it isn't a definete thing. These mini's need homes for the soul fact that the kids lost interest. Some of yall have probally heard that same line a hundred times. I can afford these mini's and can give them a great home. What I ment by showing in a year or so...I have Arrow I can show him and keep my others at home and that will be fine with me. I want something I can teach to drive and have a good time with and if I could show them well that's a plus
default_smile.png
I have seen the mini's now and they seem fine to me. Fat and happy just not show quility at the time but I have seen some remarkable changes in horses with just a little TLC. They have coggins and everything seems to be in order
default_smile.png
And I would be buying them to train and resale they would have a forever home
default_smile.png
But also in time I may have more space so that's another thing I was refering to.. I would be able to buy another registered horse later on, if everything permits. Papers have never ment much to me, the main thing about this post was I just wanted to see where yall stood on the matter and what yall might do.. Thanks so much for all the advice, I greatly appreciate it
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Go look and if basic health/care is good, I'd say definately consider them! You need an outlet for some stress with your mom's situation. There is little more comforting than a soft nicker, velvet muzzle and a good snuggle into a silky mane. They judge you not, so long as you are kind and good to them.
default_wub.png
Maybe you need each other.

I'm in VA........Franklin, about 50 miles SW of Va Beach. Where are you?

Few shows but, a couple in Richmond area. Many are open but great for fun and practice.

Go look and if basic health/care is good, I'd say definately consider them! You need an outlet for some stress with your mom's situation. There is little more comforting than a soft nicker, velvet muzzle and a good snuggle into a silky mane. They judge you not, so long as you are kind and good to them.
default_wub.png
Maybe you need each other.
I'm in VA........Franklin, about 50 miles SW of Va Beach. Where are you?

Few shows but, a couple in Richmond area. Many are open but great for fun and practice.
[SIZE=12pt]Thanks! That's the exact reason I love my horses so much. I can have the worst day ever and then go outside with my babies and I forget everything. So when I come back in the house I am refreshed
default_smile.png
I am in Covington. Near Roanoke.
[/SIZE]

Oh, gee, what can I say? As I said in another post, I seem to have a knack for saying "This little mini needs me!" Sounds like you may need them, too (and at least minis don't eat much.)
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back