Newbie needs to know

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
I have learned so many things from this and other forums. I can't always remember everything and would love to have a list or page to go to when needing certain things like,

What vaccines are needed and when.

How to measure a mini for height and weight.

How and what to feed and or introduce new or different feeds.

Why not to use Quest wormer on minis.

Why not use bute for minis.

Where to register your minis papers.

Where to go to learn about basic showing of your mini.

I would love to see a page like this saved as a sticky filled with all the basics.

Please I hope someone will take this on and the mods will save it for all of us?

"What vaccines are needed and when.

How to measure a mini for height and weight.

How and what to feed and or introduce new or different feeds.

Why not to use Quest wormer on minis.

Why not use bute for minis.

Where to register your minis papers.

Where to go to learn about basic showing of your mini."

GREAT QUESTIONS!! Many of these can be answered by going to the Forum Best of the Best, but here's answers to a couple:

Mini's need the same vaccines as large horses for your area. The best thing is to check with a horse vet in your area to find out if anything special - such as strangles, rabies, etc, are recommended.

Miniature weights can be calculated using this formula - (Girth x 9.36) + Length (center of chest to center of rear x 5.01) minus 348.53) This is supposed to be 94% accurate for miniature.

Quest has proven to be fatal to miniatures. Not sure why, but not taking any chances

Depending on how your horse is registered, papers will need to be updated with the American Miniature Horse Association - AMHA.Com, or the American Miniature Horse Registry - SHETLANDMINIATURE.COM.

Attending a local show is the best way to see how to show miniatures. A miniature show is best, but any horse show can give you the basics on halter.

Welcome to the world of miniatures!

A lot of good basic mini information is on the Lil Beginnings Main Page - the link is at the very top of THIS page.

You can also do a forum search - look at the BOTTOM on the page on the Main Forum and type in the search word. (e.g. "Quest").

And the "Best of the Forum" is a great place to look.

And then there is Google....

default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
welcome, everyone on this forum has great information for mini's.
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
velma

Don't forget hoof care! And worming!

And a reminder to leave halters off whenever possible.

Two things I learned back in my early days...you know, all the way back to late March
default_biggrin.png

Quest has proven to be fatal to miniatures. Not sure why, but not taking any chances
Quest (ingredient Moxidectin) does not have the overdose safety margin that many of the other dewormers have. For instance, you could "accidentally" give your horse 10x the amount of Ivermectin and the overdose would not be fatal.

However, the same is not true for Quest. A much smaller overdose is fatal, therefore it is of EXTREME importance that the dosage is given carefully by weight.

But, how many times has the plunger slipped and your horse gotten the whole tube? I've had it happen twice to me... now, I have given probably 1,000's of wormers, but "just once" could be FATAL, and therefore it is just best to avoid it. There are other dewormer ingredients available that work well... so the advice is always to just err to the side of caution and avoid Quest all together.

Hope that information is helpful to anyone.

Andrea

Thank you every one!! This is the stuff newbies need to hear!!

Keep up the great work!!

Latest posts

Back