Nervous Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
My Gelding Wee Man has been very nervous lately especially around his rear and when I am ground driving which is really concerning me as I was really hoping to get him in the ring or etleast on the cart this summer. I am really taking it slow and dont worry I wont be hitching him up to any carts untill his ground work is 100%. His spookiness is starting to affect him ground driving he had quite the fit the other day he was terrified his sides were heaving and I had to walk him around alot. Sooo I was considering using Serenity herbs by oh the company has slipped my mind but it is all natural and is for anxiety, tension and stress. I was wondering how you think I should go about getting him driving and also if oyu have used these natural herbs on any of your horses.

Thanks So Very Much!

Wee Man
default_wub.png
:

weeman.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact Heather at Mulligan's Run. She's very good about herbal things for horses and she's very nice to talk to and helpful.

I think you have the right idea about taking it slow with your little guy.

He's spooky and goosey both, not a good combination at the moment, but practice makes perfect so hopefully in time he's going to settle down. By the way I no nothing about harnessing but do be sure he's not being pinched and everything is nice and comfortable on him.

No amount of herbs (or even drugs) are going to change or help a horse's personality or training significantly. I suggest merely slowly working and training your horse, but not all horses have the personality and temperament to make good, safe driving horses. A goal of summertime may not be feasible... my mare has a "strong, independent" personality and even with two YEARS of driving training I don't see her safe enough a risk in the show ring. My stallion, on the other hand, had 60 days of driving training from start to finish and just placed unanimous first places in all of his Pleasure classes.

Soooooo just be patient, but realistic that your horse just may not cut it. Herbs are only going to take a sliiiiiiight edge off... and are more suited to taking the edge off for showing and maybe not just basic quiet training.

Just my opinion!

Andrea

I appreiciate your opinions. Disneyhorse very good point I understand he may not be a driving kind of horse I am deabting myself about it I really dont want to hurt him for something so silly as to pull a cart and enter a few more classes. It would be fun but theres always sweetgrass mabe wee man just likes ot hang around :lol:

Hey Devon Maybe its about time I come over again for another mini clinic? We should get one in for sure before show season starts and then maybe I can give you a hand with WeeMan. Ask the rest of the gang if and when they would like to get together.

I agree with Andrea- you may just have to accept that he does not have the right personality/temperament for driving. Oh, sure an experienced person may well be able to train him, and I would certainly look into that rather than go on as you're with him spooking. The question, I am afraid, that you are going to have to ask yourself is "When this horse is properly trained, am I going to be able to drive him??"

Some horses just are not cart material.

Some horses are not "beginner" horses.

Please do not mix the two!!!
default_smile.png

Hey Lori that driving Clinic sure does sound appealing to me! haha I know I would benefit from it. Thanks

and Dev Wee will drive one day even if it does take us 5 years. lol Love ya

-Nicole

There is always the possibility that Wee won't drive but I think he will. He is one of those ones that need a more experienced hand to get him started. We might want to get Devon on a cart behind a more experienced horse first though and work the kinks out, with her, there. I will talk to Sandy and try to arrange a date - when is good for you guys?

:aktion033: :new_multi: YAY Lori!! :new_multi: :aktion033:

The weather seems to be cooperating lately? So...? Soon!

Before Devon & Wee get too far...we'll put that on hold till you come.

[SIZE=14pt]Gotta shout this out![/SIZE]

default_wub.png
: Milo is wonderful!
default_wub.png
:

Always willing to help out my 4-H'ers.

Year after year she has given up her time.

We love & appreciate everything you do.

(wish more people valued our youth as much)

Awesome Lori!Sounds wonderful. None of us at the farm are really really knowledgeable with driving spooky horses I suppose most of our guys are just so calm
default_wub.png
: It would be wonderful to have you drive him around a bit lol! Thanks so much!ahah Nicole even if it does take 5 years!

Hello Mini Luver,

I have been working with driving horses for quite some time now, and I have my fair share of success. If you take the quality time and effort with nearly any horse, they can be a driving horse.

Three years ago, I showed a loud appaloosa mare at the AMHR Nationals in futurity where we won national champion in roadster. When I began working with this mare (only 3 months before), she did not want to be caught, she did not like to be stroked, and she had never been harnessed or driven. I spent the time on her ground work, broke her to lead, got her comfortable with the harness, and drove her to national champion her very first show - safely, I might add. By the time we were finished, the mare was comfortable in the cart and willing to do anything I asked. She didn't have the perfect headset (well, I didn't think so), but she was SAFE. That is most important here I think, she was safe.

I use this anecdote to remind you to never get discouraged. It CAN be done, and never let others tell you that it CANNOT. I encourage you to work with your little guy as often as you can, and slow progression is important.

Also, many horses are sensitive around their tail, my suggestion is to simply rub done their hind end with your hands - often, brush him, comb his tail, etc. Hold the tail bone and move it up and down (sounds silly when I describe it, but it makes sense when you try it). Hands-on desensitizing is highly effective.

Anyhow, you have the right idea, and maybe if you can get some help from Mi-Lo, you will start to see some progression with Wee-Man. I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to PM or e-mail me anytime you have driving questions. If I cannot answer, I will point you in the right direction of someone who can.

Tammy

I agree with those who don't think herbs will make that much of a difference.

Keep in mind, as he gets older and as you get more horse and driving experience, you may be up for more excitement in the cart
default_smile.png

I just wanted to mention something about an herbal product we are giving our QH mare(impressive bred).

I was a nay sayer until recently. I started my mare(who is a continous hormone factory and a nervous horse at times. She terrorizes any gelding who is in with her and can be spooky on the ground). She was just insane. She actually walks backwards everywhere in front of the them. I was having to pay for a hormone shot years ago just so she could be boarded. It was $90 for maybe two months.

Started her on a product called relax her form spart pak three months ago. It's an herbal product. I hope to never ever ever ever be without it. It took two months and she is now in with a recently gelded yearling. She is the most loveable horse now. She is 17 years old and I can give you a list of people who know this mare and couldn't put up with her problems. They can't believe it's the same horse.

For those who said it wouldn't happen. I can tell you never say never.

This product answered my prayers.

Aw shucks Sandy no thanks necessary here! You know I get as much fun out of it as the kids do. They are all great kids and have so much love for the horses I can't help but want to help them as much as I can.

And Tammy, while I appreciate what you are saying - that with patience the vast majority of horses can learn to drive, maybe not as a show quality driving horse but functional and fun - there is the odd horse that just will never be a safe bet in front of a cart and therefore will never be a driving horse. It is important to be able to recognize that before the horse or child/driver gets injured. I am glad Devon had the sense to ask for help before anything bad happened.

Latest posts

Back