NEGLECT?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TINALEE

Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN CONTACTED TWICE NOW IN THE LAST WEEK WITH PEOPLE CONCERNED THAT MY HORSES ARE NEGLECTED.I WOULD LIKE TO SET IT STRAIGHT THAT NO THEY CERTAINLY ARE NOT!!! I HAVE 8 MINIS WHICH CAN ALL BE SEEN ON MY GALLERY PAGE OF MY WEBISTE WITH CURRENT PICTURES TAKEN TODAY!(11-24-07) THIS ALL STARTED IN SEPTEMBER WHEN I PLACED A HORSE WITH A GIRL IN CANADA,YES THAT HORSE WAS TERRIBLY SKINNY-I HAD HER FOR 3 MONTHS.I BOUGHT HER FROM A FARM IN TEXAS.ID LOVE TO MENTION NAMES BUT WILL NOT DO SO..SHE WAS ADVERTISED AT $2500 IN FOAL.A FEW DAYS BEFOR SHE WAS SHIPPED THE FELLA TOLD ME HE WOULD DEDUCT $500 FROM THAT PRICE BECAUSE HE DIDNT FEEL SHE WAS IN FOAL BECAUSE SHE WAS SO THIN TO THE POINT HE HAD APOLOGIZED AND TOLD ME HE DIDNT REALIZE SHE HAD BEEN THAT THIN OR HE WOULD NOT HAVE SOLD HER.3 WEEKS AFTER HAVING HER SHE HAD A COLT,IF HE THOUGHT SHE WAS THIN THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HER AFTER SHE FOALED!!!.I HAD 16 MINIS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A BIT MUCH SO PLACED A 8 OF THEM.KRISTI WAS ONE OF THOSE,I HAD TOLD THE GIRL WHO WAS GETTING HER THAT SHE WAS VERY THIN AND THAT I TOOK HER COLT FROM HER BECAUSE OF HER WEIGHT.SHE SAID THAT WAS FINE SHE HAD SEVERAL THIN MARES THAT HAD FOALS AT THEIR SIDE.I EVEN SENT THE EMAILS THAT WERE SENT TO ME SO SHE KNEW THIS MARE WAS VERY THIN BEFOR I GOT HER!I HAD THE VET CHECK HER TO BE SURE SHE COULD TRAVEL IN THIS CONDITION,KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A HORSE VET OF 30+ YEARS.HE WAVED HIS HAND TOWARD HER AND SAID OOOHHH SHE IS FINE,SOME MARES GET THAT WAY WHEN THEY HAVE A FOAL AT SIDE.I THOUGH GRACIOUS THATS AWFULLY THIN BUT WHO AM I TO SAY.I HAVE ONLY OWNED MINIS FOR 1 1/2 YEARS...COME TO FIND OUT THIS GIRL MUST HAVE TOLD THE WORLD THAT THE HORSE GOT LIKE THIS IN MY CARE AND THAT ALL OF MY HORSES ARE IN THIS CONDITION.SHE WENT AS FAR AS TO SAY THE FEET WERE IN AWFUL CONDITION.THE HORSES SHE GOT FROM ME WERE PICKED UP ON JULY 30TH.I HAVE HERE A COPY OF THE CHECK DATED JULY 28TH WHICH IS WHEN THE GIRLS HAD THEIR HOOVES DONE.ALSO SAID WAS THAT ANOTHER MARE(DUTCH) WAS SO THIN YOU COULD SEE HER BACKBONE.I HAVE POSTED A COPY OF DUTCH ON MY GALLERY PAGE AS WELL,THIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN 2-3 WEEKS BEFOR SHE WAS PICKED UP.I REALIZE HORSES ARE EXPENSIVE,I HAVE NO PRBLEM CARING FOR THEM.I DO EVERYTHING I CAN FOR MY HORSES.I HAVE ONLY POSTED A FEW POSTS ON LIL BEGINNINGS ASKING FOR ADVICE ON A DWARF WE RAISED AND ON HOPE,A FILLY THAT HAD LUXATED PATELLA SURGERY WHICH COST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BUT THATS OK-AS I SAID I DO EVERYTHING FOR MY HORSES AND ALL ANIMALS I HAVE.DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK I WOULD PAY THOUSANDS ON SURGERY FOR A FILLY THAT IS A FEW DAYS OLD AND NOT SPEND THE MONEY ON FEED FOR THE HORSES I PAID $7000-$8000 FOR...LETS GET REAL HERE PEOPLE. ID APPRECIATE IT IF THE FALSE 'GOSSIP' WOULD STOP.I LOOK FORWARD TO ADVICE ON THIS FORUM BUT CERTAINLY AM DISAPOINTED THAT THIS GOSSIP GOES ON.AS I SAID MY MINIS ARE POSTED ON MY GALLERY PAGE OF MY WEBSITE.YOU CAN SEE THAT THEY ARE CERTAINLY NOT BONES,THE ONLY PROBLEM THEY HAVE IS THAT THEY ARE ALL OVERWEIGHT!!!!!!!!!FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE TRUELY CONCERNED ABOUT THE HORSES FEEL FREE TO STOP BY.I LOVE ANIMALS AND DO REALIZE THEY NEED SOMEONE TO SPEAK FOR THEM BUT LETS ALL BE HONEST WHEN WE SPEAK PLEASE! ONE PICTURE TAKEN TODAY 11-24-07 http://www.allstarminis.com/112407HORSES.jpg ALL OTHERS CAN BE SEEN ON MY WEBSITE ALLSTARMINIS PLEASE VISIT THE GALLERY PAGE WHERE PICS THAT WERE TAKEN TODAY ARE POSTED. THANK YOU AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

All I have to say is that some people have to much free time on their hands and they have nothing better to do than gossip. Nothing you can do but just brush it off of your shoulders.

The only way this gossip can harm you is if you let it. It is sad that some people have nothing better to do than to spread stories about others.

I didn't know any of this till now. So I am wondering if you are not opening up a can of worms, sort of to speak.
default_new_shocked.gif

You can never please everyone, and some just like to gossip.

I have learned especially on an open forum is best not to reply to people who just like to argue or have nothing nice to say... :web

The ones that speak the loudest look the worst
default_biggrin.png

Not easy but try to let this go
default_saludando.gif

Your Pictures say it all. they look fine to me....

I had read the thread where the "girl" supposedly told everyone where the horse came from and I did wonder where that mare came from. HOWEVER, I didn't know where she came from until you let that cat out of the bag. I would bet I'm not the only one, either.

Previously, before knowing the skinny mare had passed through your place, I had looked at your site and it did look like some nice horses were there, but you had listed a couple yearling mares this year who were in foal for 2008 -- so they'd been bred as yearlings? And the DOB's were not misprints, I checked the studbook. It just added to a reason to be leary and then you posting here only confirmed.

It seems like it would be a lot better just to let it go and keep quiet (?). I sincerely would not have known your farm was involved with that very thin mare if not for your own posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even begin to know what the story is, I'm sorry but next time could you type regular instead of all caps, the words all run together and it hurts my eyes to even try to read it.

OH BELIEVE ME I WANT TO LET THIS GO BUT IT KEEPS COMMING BACK TO ME.LAST WEEK I WAS TO HAVE 2 APPYS SHIPPED TO ME,THE GIRL EMAILED SAYING SHE WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE HORSES AS SHE JUST HEARD HOW MY HORSES WERE CARED FOR.I EXPLAINED THINGS TO HER AND SENT HER PICTURES.THINGS ARE FINE AND MY GIRLS WILL BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS.I WAS SO UPSET I DECIDED TO SELL ALL MY MINIS AS I JUST DONT LIKE TO DEAL WITH 'CRUEL PEOPLE'.SO I HAD THE MINS UP FOR SALE.I GET AN EMAIL LASTNIGHT FROM A GIRL WHO IS INTERESTED IN MY HERD OFFERING $150-$350 PER HORSE JUST TO 'GET THEM OUT OF THIS SITUATION THEY ARE IN'.TALK ABOUT A SLAP IN THE FACE.I LOVE THESE HORSES AND PAID $3000-$6000 PER HORSE BECAUSE OF THEIR QUALITY.I WAS SO UPSET LASTNIGHT I COULDNT SLEEP! HOW CAN I JUST 'LET THIS GO' WHEN ON THIS VERY FORUM THERE WAS TALK OF TURNING ME INTO THE ASPCA....I DID POST A REPLY LAST WEEK TO THE TOPIC THAT HAS BEEN POSTED SINCE SEPT(I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS)IT WAS NOT 5 MINUTES LATER THE ENTIRE TOPIC WAS DELETED.I FEEL CHEATED AND HUMILIATED THAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME THIS WAY....I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO LOOK TO GOD AS I KNOW WHAT HE WOULD WANT ME TO DO.....

I can't even begin to know what the story is, I'm sorry but next time could you type regular instead of all caps, the words all run together and it hurts my eyes to even try to read it.

[/quotei Sorry Im not good with typing and computers...

Sadly there are people that will pay thousands of dollars for horses and then abuse and/or starve those horses. I'm in no way saying you are one of those people--I'm just pointing out that purchase price doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to how well a horse gets looked after. Also please be aware that pictures on a website don't "prove" anything to many people. After all, in looking at the website of the person you bought that mare from, I haven't seen any thin horses pictured. Again, I'm not saying or even trying to imply that your website photos don't show the truth. I'm just pointing out that if you find that there are people who don't "believe in" the photos you have posted--that is the reason.

I have to say I think you are as much a victim as the mare and the latest purchaser in this case--you were trying to do your best for the mare, and unfortunately got really bad advice from that veterinarian. It is true that nursing mares often lose weight--I've got a couple here that will drop weight once they start nursing a foal--but I know how to deal with that and I compensate with extra/different feed. Those two mares of mine will be what I call down in weight while they have foals at side, but they are not emaciated or even actually skinny--it's more a case of being "not fat" I suppose; they won't have prominent backbones, they just have hips that are a little less well padded than they should be--if I didn't change their feed then yes, they would end up very thin. It's very disappointing to know that there are veterinarians who don't know or don't care enough to help an owner with that sort of problem with a nursing mare. It's also disappointing to know there are breeders and experienced owners (looked up to by many) that don't care enough to make sure that all of their horses have equal access to feed. (I remember your mentioning that you'd been told the one horse you got was low in the pecking order & that's why she was in poor condition when sent to you.) That's a pitiful excuse.

It shouldn't be you taking the "abuse" from people over this!

edited to add: Actually in that now deleted thread, the buyer of your mare was quite fair to you; she did mention how the mare had come to you in very poor condition, and she did say that you were trying to do the best for the mare but weren't real experienced with horses and hadn't gotten the best advice. To be honest, at the time I did have to wonder how anyone could have no idea that a horse is really that thin--how anyone could look at an emaciated horse & not see that there is some major problem with that horse--but then I read of how you were being told by a veterinarian that there was nothing to worry about, this was "normal" and yes, at that point I did better understand how this could happen.

Jill is right, too; up until you posted on that thread and identified yourself, most people had not figured out who you were. It might have been better to have remained anonymous at that point, but at the same time I can make a pretty good guess at how upset you were by some of the posts, particularly the one. In your place, I would have been absolutely infuriated by that post too.

I had read the thread where the "girl" supposedly told everyone where the horse came from and I did wonder where that mare came from. HOWEVER, I didn't know where she came from until you let that cat out of the bag. I would bet I'm not the only one, either.

Previously, before knowing the skinny mare had passed through your place, I had looked at your site and it did look like some nice horses were there, but you had listed a couple yearling mares this year who were in foal for 2008 -- so they'd been bred as yearlings? And the DOB's were not misprints, I checked the studbook. It just added to a reason to be leary and then you posting here only confirmed.

It seems like it would be a lot better just to let it go and keep quiet (?). I sincerely would not have known your farm was involved with that very thin mare if not for your own posting.
IM NOT 'EMBARRASSED' THAT KRISTI 'PASSED' THROUGH MYPLACE.I AM HOWEVER EMBARRASSED THAT PEOPLE THINK SHE BECAME THIS WAY AT MY PLACE WHEN THE BUYER KNEW SHE WAS IN THIS CONDITION WHEN I GOT HER.I DID NOTHING BUT CARE FOR HER AND TRY MY BEST TO PUT WEIGHT ON HER WITH MY VETERINARIANS ADVICE(WHICH I NOW KNOW WAS NOT GOOD ADVICE)...AS FAR AS YEARLINGS BEING BRED,I HAVE 2 HORSE PASTURES,I HAD 1 STALLION IN EACH PASTURE.I DO NOT BELIEVE IN STALLING HORSES SO THEY HAVE FREE RUN OF THE BARN AND PASTURES.EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION ON WHEN A MARE SHOULD BE BRED.NATURES WAY IS IF THEY COME INTO HEAT THEY ARE READY TO PRODUCE.WOULD I THINK THAT OF A HUMAN??/YES...I HAD MY FIRST CHILD AT 17 YEARS OF AGE,I NOW HAVE 7 CHILDREN.....

Tinalee, people here and with any horse knowledge may debate if 2 year old fillies should be bred. You're not going to find any knowledgable horse person who cares about his or her horses who would endorse letting a stallion run with and breed yearling fillies.

To me, even if you didn't contribute to the pitiful condition of that mare we first heard about, that you let yearling fillies get pregnant is honestly just as bad.

No, sorry NOT breeding yearlings is NOT a matter of opinion!!

It is a matter of choice.

If you keep your horses in this manner I most certainly would not even consider selling you a horse, nor would I buy one form you.

As you were warned- you are shooting yourself in the foot with this, I would stop now as you are not even remotely ahead!!!

Breeding yearlings is irresponsible, it may not be illegal, and accidents do happen, but it is irresponsible and we all, on here, have lived through the heartache it has caused people who have bought these poor creatures.

Having a child at 17is not parallel and is your choice.

The horse has NO choice.

Keeping horse running wild all over the place is NOT "natural"

I don't know you so all I have to base this on is what you've just put in this post.

I would never have known you were the farm "involved" if you hadn't stated such. And, IMO, the mare was VERY thin. Maybe she was when you bought her, maybe she wasn't. The point is you sold her to someone else while she was in that condition. I personally would never do that, nor would I want to do future business with someone who did. It also seems that you possibly are breeding mares that again, IMO, are way to young to be bred. I'm personally glad you "came out" because now I know where the horribly thin mare came from.

Is gossip bad and can it ruin good people? Yes, it can. But just like most stereotypes, gossip usually starts spreading for a reason. All you're doing is perpetuating the problem. But, I'm glad you did!
default_wink.png

AS FAR AS YEARLINGS BEING BRED,I HAVE 2 HORSE PASTURES,I HAD 1 STALLION IN EACH PASTURE.I DO NOT BELIEVE IN STALLING HORSES SO THEY HAVE FREE RUN OF THE BARN AND PASTURES.EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION ON WHEN A MARE SHOULD BE BRED.NATURES WAY IS IF THEY COME INTO HEAT THEY ARE READY TO PRODUCE.
Oh. Wow.

I, uh, I was going to reply to something else but this just blew me away. :DOH!

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but if you decide to keep your horses PLEASE for the good of the horses, do more research into this. A yearling horse is no where near as mature as a 17 year old human, the two can NOT be compared. It's more like an 11 or 12 year old human getting pregnant. It can be VERY bad for their health to have a foal when they are not even mature themselves.

(Also, Please, could you not use the caps lock, it makes your posts very very hard to read.)

I don't usually speak up about some stuff.........but in this I am..........

Miniature Horses are not running in the wild. They are domestic animals and we have responsibilities for them. I agree with both Jill and Rabbitsfizz. Allowing yearlings to breed is not responsible. Yes, accidents can happen, but not just "allowing" them, is not right.

You are asking for heartbreak, my dear.

MA

I bought a mare from Tina this summer. She arrived in excellent shape, and we absolutely love her. (Paige) That said, I have a mare that went down to skin and bones in DAYS a couple of months ago. She'd been thin all year, I had her checked last summer (a year ago) and had her teeth done. Had her vet checked, vet said open. Had a worm scan. 2 vets said she was a "little thin" but not bad. I pushed food at her all winter, had her as a companion with a stallion when she foaled!!
default_new_shocked.gif

OK - still pushing food. After a couple of months, she was in the herd and doing fine, then dropped to bones in days. Blood test showed some parasites - not bad according to the vet - so we hit her hard with wormer (strongid & ivermectin) and put her on a daily wormer. She's better, but boy she sure drops weight fast. This is entirely what could have happened to Tina's mare - weaning, transit and new place could have stressed her. But I don't think it was due to neglect on Tina's part. I don't know Tina, but the mare I bought from her was in great weight.

As for breeding as yearling?? While I personally wouldn't do it, it's not my place to condemn or accuse anybody else. Thoroughbreds are racing at 16 months. Cattle are pushed to calve early in their 2 year old year. We bred sheep in the first year, and most produce twins or triplets. I don't know of any studies that prove it horribly wrong. Each horse matures differently.

OK - I'm done now!
default_rolleyes.gif

Tinalee, people here and with any horse knowledge may debate if 2 year old fillies should be bred. You're not going to find any knowledgable horse person who cares about his or her horses who would endorse letting a stallion run with and breed yearling fillies.

To me, even if you didn't contribute to the pitiful condition of that mare we first heard about, that you let yearling fillies get pregnant is honestly just as bad.
YES I AM LEARNING THIS.A VERY NICE COUPLE CAME OUT TO PURCHASE MY GIRL COLORS WHO IS A YEAR OLD.THEY WERE HOPING SHE WAS NOT IN FOAL BECAUSE OF HER AGE.THEY TALKED TO ME ABOUT THE DANGERS OF LOSING THE MARE AND FOAL BECAUSE OF THEIR AGE AND BECAUSE THE THE MINIS BEING BRED DOWN TO SIZE AND ALL.I DID NOT THINK OF IT THAT WAY,I SAPOSE BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY AND SEE DEER COOMING INTO HEAT AND BEING BRED THEIR FIRST YEAR AND HAVING FAWNS SAFELY.HORSES ARE BUILT SOMEWHAT LIKE DEER THIS WAS MY THOUGHT BUT IM LEARNING DIFFERENT.I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED TO KNOW IT ALL BELIEVE ME I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN AND IM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN.I GUESS I SHOULD LOOK AT ALL OF THIS AS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.I NOW CERTAINLY KNOW NOT TO PLACE A HORSE THAT IS NOT IN GOOD CONDITION NO MATTER WHERE THAT CONDITION HAPPENED TO TAKE PLACE. AND I NOW KNOW NOT TO BREED A YEARLING OR EVEN NOT A 2 YEAR OLD WHICH REALLY SUPRISES ME TO HEAR AS I HAVE PURCHASED A FEW OF MY 2 YR OLD MARES IN FOAL BY EXPERIENCED BREEDERS....I AM LEARNING AND I DO APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL ADVICE.

Wow! All I have to say is sometimes some of us have to learn when it's best to be quiet.
default_shutup.gif
You are responsible for opening up your own can of worms be it your fault or not.

Latest posts

Back