Nefertiti and Intrepid update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
This summer flew by with good and bad and sad happenings. I'll start with the sad...

On a non-pony related topic, my sixteen year old son Andy lost a good friend when he drowned in the Erie Canal a week ago today. I am still in shock - I have known Alex since he and Andy were in kindergarten. Alex gave us our cat Ashley, who was hit by a car last November... at least I know that he can take care of Ashley over the Bridge for us.

It was very sad going to his wake and funeral... and very sobering for my sons. Alex was in the wrong place at the wrong time... kids have gone "scum jumping" for years (it is illegal) and some drown and some don't. The problem I would think is the lock system... if they open a lock to move boats, the water flowing into the locks acts like a vacuum and creates a strong undertow... when the lock is closed, the undertow stops. Alex was found close to where he went under and he was a strong swimmer according to Andy.

On a lighter note, I am having a blast working with Nefertiti and Intrepid. While Intrepid is a "quiet" Modern and we have broken her to ride (my nieces will love riding her when her training is complete), Nefertiti is as hot as they come. On her halter and lead, she arches her neck, prances, blows and snorts like a little locomotive as she tries to figure out the big world. She is more independent so I have been taking her on walks to the pond with the dogs and those ears are up and she is ready to go. Intrepid likes the break from her pushy, bossy daughter.
default_wub.png
:

We work daily on the basics as when I was away on vacation for 10 days, I had a lot of ground to make up from not working with her royal highness Neffie.
default_yes.gif
:

Neffie towers over Independence (the mare in my avatar) and can usually be found with my PMU filly, Finisterre, sharing hay.

I even caught Mercy grooming her... Mercy does not usually take time out of her day to groom anyone these days.

When I lead her outside to the pasture after our work, Neffie skirts the other girls, occasionally throwing a kick at someone to see what she can get away with. She's learned to leave Mercy and Freedom alone. :bgrin

Intrepid will then come out for her work and it is nice to see her slowly weaning Neffie on her own by ignoring her whinnies or swatting her when Neffie comes to nurse.

Just wish there were more opportunities to show Moderns in my area without days of travel.....

Denise

Silversong Farm

Oh my, what a tragic loss. :no: How very sad.

Now you know you can't post pony updates without pony pictures. It sounds like you are sure having fun with them. But I wanna see pics of the firey filly!

Latest posts

Back