NEED HELP ASAP! EXTREMLY AGRESSIVE CAT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to call the vet this morning to have him put down but couldn't bring myself to do it. I know he is being mean but I have had him since he was born, and was there to see him born so have a connection with him. I just wish there was a magic button I could push on him to calm him down. I never played rough with him as a kitten since I had done this with previous kittens and its hard to make it stop once they are older and 10+ pounds, I always made sure they had toys or he had his brothers to play with. He is wormed regularly, we do have pretty bad fleas right now and we are going to be working tonight to get it under controll with spraying the carpets, vaccuming and baths for everyone.

He stayed in the bathroom most of last night then went in with his 3 brothers and he was just as happy as could be. He was even rolling around and rubbing on my legs/feet wanting attention, I even picked him up and petted him and he just went limp and curled up against me in my arms. He gave me this big eyes sweet look and i just could not call the vet. The rescue all animals, help animals side in me wants to keep giving him a chance, figure out something to do with him. Then the other half (the sane half lol) says he is a danger to me/other cats and its not fair to me/them to keep him around.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
My hand is fine today, so I lucked out with that.

Oh I ache for you ((((HUGS)))) that's so hard when he turns on the little angel button .... but it does say "there's hope"
default_smile.png

Here...to lighten your day (while you flea dip lol ) you gotta watch this...it starts off a little odd but watch the whole thing...you'll have a laugh - I think it's about YOUR boy lol (turn your sound up)

I really feel for you and know how you feel.

I've had something similar happen with my cats, all boys neutered at a young age (3 of them at the time). I was walking through the living room in the morning and noticed that one of the cats caught a mouse....good boy! I took it from him and threw it away. Then a day or 2 later, I noticed that one of the cats was "stalking" the other cat. Stalking kitty had chased the other kitty under the my bed before I went to bed (I thought they were playing and didn't give it another thought)....and in the morning they were both in the same spot!!! So my first thought was that the cat had been trapped under the bed all night and probably had to go to the bathroom, so I scooped up the poor kitty and to him to the litter box. He had to go real bad, so he WAS there all night. I was standing there with the kitty in the litter box and wondered "what is that about? They were best friends." The stalking kitty even tried to attack him in front of me and hissed at me. I called my vet's office and left a message for him to call me back. When he called back, all I could remember was that the 2 best friends now hated each other (I didn't remember the mouse until he asked.) I told him that I had a strange story and that my cat seemed to be possessed. LOL He said that it's like dropping a bone between 2 dogs...one of them is going to lose and the other dog will be mad. That sometimes happens to cats too and when that happens with a neutered male, their hormones get off balance. He had me give the stalking kitty 1 hormone pill twice a day for a few days, then I tapered him off. I believe they were female hormones to he said "make him nice again." I would definatley check with the vet first and see what comes of it. Edited to add that he was fine in about a week and we still have him. That was about 7 years ago.

Then a shorter story, I had a cat that kept getting urinary track infections. When he was beginning to get a UTI he turned evil, because he didn't feel good. I hope you find something wrong with him and it can be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nari was raised with Sadie. Both fixed and both had no health issues.

When Nari turned 1 year old , she also started getting very aggressive to the other cats she was raised with. I tried all the tried and true methods with cats but none worked with her. Even time out in the bathroom would only work for a day or so. Some cats get, very, very territorial and have a strong pray drive.

It got to the point if I did not want the other cats seriously hurt again, she would either have to find a home where she was the only cat or be an outside cat.

Well, she has been an outside cat for awhile now, she is happy, no longer agressive and can hunt rodents to her hearts content. She is in a shed at night with a giant kennel as her night time safe place and she gets to roam the farm as she wishes during the day.

The difference in her temperment with no other cats around her and being able to hunt all day is striking to say the least. Is easy to see how happy she is.

She is the first cat I have personally owned that is like that. But I have had friends with this same issue and a few of the cats at the local shelter that can be the only cat in the house.

Doing what I did with Nari, might just work with your boy. It might take him a month or so to get used to being out side on his own but I bet he will be a lot happier for it.

He is a 100% indoor cat, never been outside a day in his life. He has never been exposed to any disease. He will attack randomly even when not touched, its just been getting worse and worse and I though for sure the nueter would help him. I hate to put any animal down. But I feel he is suffering being all alone and you just can't relax around him anymore. I thought about letting him outside but I am afriad he will be killed by the nieghbors or their dogs or starve to death. I don't want him to suffer. I will have to think long and hard and talk to the vet. They were iffy on putting down the colicing horse, so not sure about a seemingly healthy cat.
I too have been a cat person all my life. As others have said have a panel done on him. He might have a brain tumour which could be causing the behaviour problem. Once any medical issues are ruled out, if they are, then you can decide if he would be happier being helped to cross-over.

I feel so bad for you ..... I had gone thru the same thing, with a Sphynx cat that I had for 8 years she went totally crazy on us, this is a cat that was the love of our lives, she was an only cat, for many years. She was very dangerous, she bit and scratched, I dropped a plate one day in the kitchen and she came at me so fast she wanted to kill me, bitting and scratting all the way up my back. One night I was on the computer and I sneezed and she came at me like a bolt of lightning, always heading towards my face,

my husband had to put a laundry basket over her. It is hard to make that choice on what to do.... but it won't get any better my cat ended up having to be caged for several months, and it just wasn't fair to her to live like that, and I too couldn't bring myself to put her down, but after about 6 months she had gotten very ill, and she had fluid around her heart and hypertension, she ended up having to be hand fed, on many meds and still she didn't make it ,after 2 months of added vet bills. It could very well be that your cat has a problem you don't know about yet. If I ever had a cat go totally nuts on me again, I would have it put down as soon as I could get a vet appointment. Sometimes we need to think with our heads and not our hearts.

I hope you can find the strength to make the the choice, to have her put down.

I have 8 cats, all fixed, 4 males and 4 females. If I put my cats down everytime they get into fights and quarrels, I would not have any. Your kitty seems to have a rift with you and is trying to climb into the directors chair! My kittys think they are boss every now and then and fight amongst themselves and me and my husband, I am only picking on my favorite cat- BooBoo, he has a permanent scar across MY nose from him trying to tell me he was in the Directors chair and there was no room for me!!. BooBoo chases his sister all around the property and I have to go n save her, but she has whoopped his butt so many times, she deserves what she gets. He goes into these spells about 2 or 4 times a year. but other than that he is the worlds most lovable cat. For some reason, your kitty does not know you are a human, he thinks you are equal to all of them , just like him. He thinks you are a cat. I have the opposite problem, with mine being bottle fed, they think they are humans. So I can handle situations a little differently. Call the vet and tell them what is up, he thinks you are a cat too. A real vet will know, if they have no clue, let me know, I can call mine and ask, he is super good with cats.

Latest posts

Back