My new fishtank :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I finally got my fishtank up and running...and bought some fish today!! I got 4 Neon Tetras and a snail. I think I might add a few more fish in about a week or so. I just took a pic with my cellphone so the quality isnt great, but will give you an idea of what I did so far. Tried to get the fish in the pic, but you can barely see them in the back....lol
default_rolleyes.gif

It is small, but for now it will do!
default_smile.png

fishtank-1.jpg

It looks great! I have some neon tetras and a male beta together. Is that a 10 gallon tank? That is what I have with 11 tetrasa and the beta and I also have one of those black sucker fish that hang on the side. They are so much fun and relaxing to watch them. Enjoy!

It looks great! I have some neon tetras and a male beta together. Is that a 10 gallon tank? That is what I have with 11 tetrasa and the beta and I also have one of those black sucker fish that hang on the side. They are so much fun and relaxing to watch them. Enjoy!
Just a word of warning.. some people have no problem keeping male bettas with smaller fish. This however is the exception..most bettas would kill and eat a fish as small as a neon. I work in a pet store and I have seen TONS of people bring back a half eaten fish wanting to get their money back because their betta killed their new fish. Is the sucker a pleco? I'm a huge fan of most pleco varieties. Again another word of caution plecos can grow to be over two feet long and therefore should not be kept in small tanks.

Wow...11 tetras AND a beta in that size tank? The lady at the pet store told me that I should only have 1" of fish per gallon for a healthy tank. My 4 fish seem so "lost" in my tank (because they are so small), so I do want to get a few more fish, but not too many either. Yes, I have a 10 gallon tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very attractive! We had an aquarium for many years, and always enjoyed the neons.

I have 2 goldfish that were born (Hatched?) in my whiskey barrel "water garden". The barrel wore out and began to leak, so I put all the fish in a livestock pond except 2. I've had them in a gallon bowl in the kitchen for 2 years. Everyone who comes over ends up sitting by the bowl to watch them.

This is the first time in probably most of my life that I don't have multiple tanks set up. I only have three one-gallon glass betta habitats. Yes, bettas CAN be aggressive, but are usually more of a danger to the fancy tailed fish like guppies. In community tanks with "nippers" like some tetras (esp black skirted!!) it is usually the bettas that get torn up. They also (generally now--not always) don't like the airflow bubble-things. High airflow makes it hard for them with with all that finnage. I used to breed and don't laugh--show bettas. (Check out the International Betta Congress for more info if interrested) For really fun and easy color in tank, I reallly love Endlers Livebearers. They are closely related to guppies (can even cross with them) and they are easy, bright, active and funny to watch. I had them in with neon tetras, a dwarf cory catfish and an ottocinculas in a 20 gallon tank and I think it is one of my all time favorite set-ups. I am shutting up now...I could go on forever!

Great looking tank--enjoy it!

Amy

Well it was a guy at a pet store that told us about putting them together, and he had them all over the store that way. Beta's in with other fish. They do not eat other fish if they do not get along anyway, they just peck them to death. My duaghter bought an older beta and tried to put it in with her goldfish, he was aggressive and was pecking on the goldfish. She pulled him out before any damage was done and now has two bowls with fish.
default_biggrin.png
The beta's antics are funny to watch, mine lays on the grass at the top and will charge out in the middle of the neons and scare the bejesus out of them and calmly go back up to his perch watching over his kingdom. That is how he acts like a king in charge of all his domain.

Looks great Linda!!!! I'm a huge tank fan and always find my self looking for and aquiring new(used actually!!) tanks to set up! I right now have 5 up and running!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png
My smallest is a 15 gallon and my largest is a 120 gallon. If you ever have questions please feel free to ask! I'm by no means an expert but I'll try my best to give you a hand!
default_saludando.gif

Again it looks great! Good job!

Leya

Looks great Linda...I miss having a tank, the biggest I ever had was a 30gallon. I just recenty set up a 5.5 gal aquarium with hermit crabs (3tiny ones). I'll have to get a pic posted. I like looking at the tanks and decorating more than anything.

I bought 4 more fish tonight....lol. I got (I think this is what they are called) Red Phantom Tetras. Kind of a kewl fish.
default_smile.png
No more fish for this tank....Good thing I have NO room for a bigger tank...lol!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

Be careful adding livestock before you've gone through your cycle. Right now, unless you purchased gravel from someone elses established tank, you have no established bacteria needed to break down your ammonia/nitrites etc. It's going to get pretty toxic in there over the next month and the more fish in there eating and pooping are going to make it worse.

A lot of us with saltwater tanks won't cycle with live fish - we use table shrimp - lol....just put one in there and let it rot
default_wink.png

Pretty tank, but I am confused -- is it OK to have coral in a fresh water tank? Long time ago when I had fish (and it was a big 150 gallon - first fresh water and then many years as a salt tank) I was told it was a No No to have coral due to how it messed up the ph factor in a fresh water tank. It has been a long time, so I suppose they have come up with some safe way, but just questioning?

Stacy

I am glad someone mentioned waiting for the tank to cycle. That is a real key to the health and balance of your tank. As for "no room for a bigger tank", I am going to be evil....a 20 extra high is the exact same footprint as your 10 gallon. They are like two 10s one on top of the other and most stands are made to handle the weight of either. hehehe....I know, I am rotten!

I am glad someone mentioned waiting for the tank to cycle. That is a real key to the health and balance of your tank. As for "no room for a bigger tank", I am going to be evil....a 20 extra high is the exact same footprint as your 10 gallon. They are like two 10s one on top of the other and most stands are made to handle the weight of either. hehehe....I know, I am rotten!
Haha....I need to show my wife this post!!
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
default_poke.gif
default_whistling.gif
(and watch THIS happen...LOL!!
default_10_2_12.gif
.....Ive been wanting to use that emoticon...LOL)

Latest posts

Back