My Mini is favoring her left hind foot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
Went out to feed horses this morning noticed maggie favoring left hind foot, climbed over gate cause lock was frozen shut, the left hind leg is squishier than the other, it is very icy where we live it is very possible she slipped and sprung it or something, what can i do for her?

Call your vet.
default_smile.png

Could be any number of things, certainly including what you suspect it to be. Is she bearing weight on it at all? I would bring her in and do a careful examination of the leg, run your hands down, look for puncture wounds, scrapes, heat, anything that shouldn't be there and then treat accordingly. Hydro therapy (run water on it) is usually a good place to start, if you are in ice and snow that may help with swelling - as long as she isn't slipping around. She may need something like banamine to bring the swelling down depending on the scope of it. Best place to start is putting in a call to the vet. People often seem reluctant to call the vet but if you can give them a good verbal description of what's going on, they may be able to give you directions over the phone without a visit out, which often saves an emergency visit later on.

Jan

Did you check her hoof? This winter when we had a bad ice storm we had a mare really favoring one leg and hubby looked her leg over and nothing -- so he came in and told me and out I go and I looked the leg over and nothing -- so I of course checked her hoof and she had a chunk of ice frozen to her frog so it was hurting to put her foot down on the ground -- we got the ice out and she was fine after that.. Hopefully it is nothing serious..

Good Luck.

yes i checked her hoof and there was no ice. She favors it but will willingly walk on it, When she is stopped she tilts that foot up. The leg is not really very swollen but running water on it would probably freeze her to death. Its pretty cold here

If she was mine I would have the vet take a look.

I did hear a vet talking about how to help an animal with a limb that was sprained or tender.

She suggested wrapping the limb in bubble wrap, putting something on top of the bubble wrap to immobilize the limb and securing it in place with duct tape.

I just share that because it sounded like a good tip if you know that is what is needed.

Latest posts

Back