My first AMHA show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
The first of may I will have my first AMHA show (non aproved by the way). I'm known to studbook licence shows, and I've done a clinic once (by Tim Pearson). With the clinic I handled a horse that was very known to showing, so that was a piece of cake for the horse, and I learned a lot!

I've seen shows, but never done one myself.

Because I'm showing a horse of somebody else, I want to do a good performance, so any word of advice is welcome!

For example: What should I wear? The horse is a very dark (almost black) silverdapple. The halter is going to be with a blue or gold noseband.

I like blue with Silver dapple horses.

First thing - remember to BREATHE
default_biggrin.png
This isn't brain surgery, although it feels like it. For me, it helps as just when I am walking in the ring, I consciously drop my shoulders. It seems to relax me. The judges like a smile - a nice natural one.

Watch for holes in the ring - don't set your horse up so he's up or downhill.

Give yourself enough room to work. A little extra space in front of you allows you to move up a bit if the horse behind is crowding.

Don't expect your horse to show the entire time in the ring. Keep track of the judges, and be ready to "turn him on" as the judge is getting close.

The most important thing - have fun!!

That nagging rumor that is floating around - where it's being said that people are sitting beside lakes, on lawn chairs, in shorts and tank tops, drinking a nice cold beverage - is just that - a RUMOR!

It's much more fun to walk around in 80 deg or 40 deg weather, in rain, bugs, blinding sunshine, in long sleeve shirts, boots, and jackets, getting nibbled on by horses, stepped on, bumped, inhaling Pepi and fly spray. Yep it sure is fun!
default_rolleyes.gif

The main thing is just relax and have fun!!! The rest is just icing on the cake.

Latest posts

Back