Modern VS Modern Pleasure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Okay I have been digesting the RuleBook like CRAZY, gearing up for going for a Judges card and because I am going to show Shetlands and am new to them (shown minis only so far).

Well I went out and bought a Modern Shetland mare and she just got here today. Don't know much about them, but I love the way they move and greatly admire them for that so I had to have one.

Sooooo now that I'm ready to jump in I want to understand the REAL meaning of things, not just whatever. This is sort of like the Foundation vs. Classic debate, I am VERY interested to know the true differences in type as this seems to be a major cornerstone of the ponies.

My mare was shown to her HOF in Modern Pleasure, but I have gone to a few pony shows (not shown, just spectated) and my mare seems more Modern than Pleasure. She is very extreme and seems to have a natural extreme way of going. She is just out of a pasture right now.

Now the sellers said that Judges said my pony should have shown Modern, but that they didn't want to shoe her up so they showed her Pleasure and she did just fine.

I'm not sure about the appliances and shoes and such, so I would like to show her as a more "natural" Modern. I am guessing from the Rulebook that this is the case, it is just a more "natural" way of showing the moderns (i.e. light plate shoes or barefoot, don't have to have a set up tail)??? Or is the Modern Pleasure TYPE supposed to be for the classics that are too extreme or the moderns that aren't extreme enough???

Anyone have anything to share about the theories on this? I am eager to learn and have an open mind.

Andrea

P.S. I will get pictures of her tonight to share! (she is the horse in my avatar though for a preview)

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern pleasure is a type more than just what gear your pony is or isn't wearing... exactly like the differences between a foundation and classic (except for the pedigree requirement for the foundations). A regular modern will have more motion than a pleasure pony, as well as being more upright through the head/neck. The gear requirements are obviously different for the classes as far as shoes, tail, etc but thats not what defines which division the horse shows in..... or shouldnt.

Technically, judges are supposed to mark down (or not place) a pony that is showing in an improper division, although Im not sure this actually occurs.

patches showed modern pleasure as she doesnt fit the type of "modern" (well except the time my friend fooled me into entering a modern halter class boy did i feel stupid)

here i am in the ring with patches who is bigger boned, no shoes etc trying to show against tiny light boned moderns lol. we stuck out like a sore thumb.

a modern is much hotter then a modern pleasure and usually smaller and smaller boned.

spaz my friends have said they had a special meeting to get the judges to start gating off types showing in wrong classes. i really hope they do it

I recognize this pony.
default_yes.gif
:

She was shown Modern Pleasure primarily due to lack of a farrier that could shoe. She was shown barefoot most of the time and still had a lot more natural motion that a Pleasure pony should have. If you have a farrier that can shoe her, even in a plate - I'd show her regular Modern. She's plenty hot for it too and likes to work!

I took my mare to a show today and the one trainer here who is one of the only people who shows Moderns said my mare is Modern Pleasure. She isn't shod yet but I will put light plates on her. I love her!!! Here is a picture from today:

CassieJune06small.JPG

I didn't know how to set her up really or what I was doing but I did have fun!

Andrea

Latest posts

Back